dt35456884

Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame - 1915 Elections

I have Ernie's email address. Who wants to write him?

I'd be willing to, pending the approval of the rest of the committee.

There you have it. The nominees for our first ballot:

Barrett

Delahanty

Elberfeld

Killian

McIntyre

Mullin

Rossman

Schaefer

Schmidt

Siever

Summers

Willett

Schmidt made the list by popular demand. I looked at Elberfeld and Roscoe Miller as being on the bubble (putting it nicely), but Elberfeld's extra season with the team puts him over the top.

We'll plan on voting on this group unless there are serious objections.

I wouldn't mind Ernie being a part of this at all. It would be pretty cool. I know troppens didn't want to let people outside of the board in on this though...

I think I am ready to vote. I am not going to use up all of my votes this time around. There just isn't 5 players that I feel are worthy of voting for.

Ed Delahanty - was clearly on steroids in 1911 !!

Jimmy Barrett - Da Catalyst !!! (the original Richie)

And what's up with 1908? Were ALL their bats corked ???? :cheeky:

Also find it interesting how much player movement there was back

then.

Don't think I will be able to find five HOF's from this bunch.

Interesting Comparison, using OPS+ to adjust for Eras. While Delahanty was only a Tiger for 3+ seasons, consider whether or not you would consider Carlos Guillen a Tigers HoFer...

Guillen: (OPS+)

2004- 141

2005- 115

2006- 137

Delahanty (OPS+)

1910- 128

1911- 139

1912- 116

Considering how slim the offense was in those years, I'm inclined to give these hitters a bit more credit than they are getting. At this points, the merits of Delahanty and Guillen are about the same. Would Carlos Guillen be a hall of famer if he was traded tommorow? Will Jim Delahanty?

I think it is questionable whether I would vote for Guillen at this point if he was traded away tomorrow.

More interesting tidbits... Ed Summers in 1908 was the first of two rookies to start a postseason game for the Tigers.

At first glance I did not think this was an impressive class. By the time I compiled my ballot I found myself wishing for a sixth vote.

Tonight I went about sorting out all of the HOF classes from 1915 to 2005. This class is actually right around average to above average (to be fair, this one does have the benefit of 10 extra years).

Well, I've settled on two players. There were several others that were considered. A lot of average players on this ballot who weren't on the team long enough for me to vote for them.