dt35456884

Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame - 1915 Elections

Tiger337,

That's why I almost think going with a large list of just about anyone is a better choice. They'll weed themselves very quickly with each vote. I do love dt's graphics though. I say he's in charge of that.

I have 11 if I can go that high.

Jennings (he played in a handful of games so I can get away with this)

McIntryre

Schaefer

Barrett

Schmidt

Delahanty

Mullin

Willett

Killian

Siever

Summers

The one off if I can only go 10 is Jennings of course.

Jennings definately belongs

We all seem to have our "pet" guys, so why not use 10 as a guideline, but if we want to list 15, why not? You still only get 5 votes max.

Dave, how about we set the voting window, then post a notice, maybe with a sticky, asking for three "at-large volunteers" to vote along with us this week?

I move for Jennings to wait, being that as of 1915, he was still manager and contributing in that way. His playing days weren't numerous. There doesn't seem to be too much missing in those ballots though.

Are we remembering that we are voting for a 15-season span? I'm comfortable with 12 or 13 names here easily.

Second to tabling the Jennings nomination.

Tiger337,

That's why I almost think going with a large list of just about anyone is a better choice. They'll weed themselves very quickly with each vote. I do love dt's graphics though. I say he's in charge of that.

I'll disagree with this. Throwing 60 or 70 names out for discussion every time is just going to be a mess. Let's have a simple cut to weed out the Steve Colyers of the world. I think this thread is already proving that a manageable list of potential nominees goes a long way toward good discussion.

DaYooper,

We'll do it. If I recounted right that's what we need - three people.

I will contact everyone on the committee that hasn't posted in awhile to make their decisions. How about Feb. 9 to make decisions. That gives us a few days to get three other voters and give them time to make their picks. We will simply draw the three people in order, giving posters a chance for every 1,000 posts. I would like to get people that have been here a long time but still give others a shot.

I move for Jennings to wait, being that as of 1915, he was still manager and contributing in that way. His playing days weren't numerous. There doesn't seem to be too much missing in those ballots though.

Agreed. Jennings should wait until the next ballot.

I'll disagree with this. Throwing 60 or 70 names out for discussion every time is just going to be a mess. Let's have a simple cut to weed out the Steve Colyers of the world. I think this thread is already proving that a manageable list of potential nominees goes a long way toward good discussion.

This is my feeling as well. If there are potential nominees not on the list someone can bring them up for further discussion.

I don't want to have to vote down the Herm Merritt's of the world. I would rather look over a pared down list that creates good discussions.

dt,

But here's the point. We won't discuss most of them. We just vote for them. We won't be doing any discussions while voting.

The lists are going to get smaller too. I bet there are some eras that will have a tough time finding 10 quality retired players. 1945 will have a lot of names but probably very few worthy candidates.

Dave, Feb. 9 at midnight? Announce totals on Feb. 10? Works for me!

More questions:

1. Move to expand this list to 13 players (1901-1915)

2. What happens if we don't get 20 voters?

We will. I hope. If not we have 17 and we could go with 12 for 17 or 13 for 17. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that mess. 13 would be more than 75%

dt,

But here's the point. We won't discuss most of them. We just vote for them. We won't be doing any discussions while voting.

The lists are going to get smaller too. I bet there are some eras that will have a tough time finding 10 quality retired players. 1945 will have a lot of names but probably very few worthy candidates.

But this part isn't the voting. Plus I think the discussion of who should be on the ballot is fun.

If we didn't have this discussion there is no way I vote for Germany Schaefer, but I am actually going to think about it after hearing the reasons behind having him on the ballot.

dt,

We already are discussing them, though. We are trying to cobble together a group of 10-12 nominees. And it's just convenient to already have a list of players that contributed to the club in a meaningful way. Otherwise, by the end of this thing I'll have posted the career statlines of all 2,000+ players who have ever been Tigers.

All the more reason to have a reasonable weeding metric. It will help keep perspective in those lean years rather than try to expand the scope of who really contributed.

Just my $0.02.

Put a poll on the Tigers board and prorate it down to three votes? Might be messy, but it's not too bad with Excel.

I have no problems with any names mentioned. And Jennings can clearly wait. I was having fun with that.

I am making a post in the Tiger forum that will ask people interested in voting to post their names in the thread. They have until tomorrow night to do so. I will then post the three that won the honor of voting, and keep a list of alternates. If I don't get the others votes in time (a date a few days before our deadline), I'll ask the alternates to vote. I want to make sure we have enough.

dt,

don't worry about it. We got it going.

There are a few books people may want to look at including The Detroit Tigers which was published in 1945. I can't recall the author right off but it is at the Detroit Library. I copied the entire thing at work about 8 years back. Good reading about many of these players.

There are a ton of books including any Richard Bak book. They are very good.

Random question, I know he's not on the ballot yet... But what off-the field standard should we use? In the case of Cobb, do we view a racist rapist in the as somebody in the 1920's or as somebody in 2007? Or is that up to us? I'm just curious.

Also, what about guys only on the team for a year that contribute to a title. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but if Sean Casey would have hit a World Series winning homerun, he'd at least have to be considered, even though he's not likely to reach 1000 AB's.

I am going for now. I have no problems with any of the people suggested thus far. I think the nominations are in good hands so if a few of you want to make the list with what we've have here, I will definitely support it.

Edman,

Totally up to you. But I suggest that you look at the times as well. Comparing Cobb for his antics back then to what is known as being "right" today isn't totally fair either. Cobb was a racist without a doubt, but so were many other people probably back then on the team and it's not known. I'm sure many people on the team were against having minorities on the team for example. The Tigers did play a Cuban team a few times though and actually Donie Bush had an team in Indianapolis that played a Negro League squad during the off season as well for a few years.

Crazy idea for one of the remaining committee members... We try to get ahold of Ernie Harwell. He may have better things to do, but who better to do this? Plus it would get pretty awkward on the 2005 ballot when he's eligible and would be voted on unanimously.

The five pitchers on the ballot should be:

Siever

Mullin

Summers

Killian

Willett

With hitters, I'm struggling. I see only two I would put on the ballot: Barrett and McIntyre. My struggle with Delahanty and Schmidt is that they were each here such a short time with few at bats, and my struggle with Schaeffer (and Schmidt for that matter) is that they weren't very good. I'm not struggling with O'Leary or Moriarty -- they downright sucked.

Crazy idea for one of the remaining committee members... We try to get ahold of Ernie Harwell.

I have Ernie's email address. Who wants to write him?