Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy Ry

Ever wanted to go to MIT or Berkeley?

But didn't have the grades or the money? There is probably more schools that do this, and sure you won't have anything to show for it but both schools offer courses/lectures online for free -

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php?semesterid=21

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

I apologize if this is somehow common knowledge, but it was sorta neat news to me.

The point of going to berkeley or mit is to get the paper saying you did that and to show how you competed against the most carefully selected group of students in the country and got good grades. These online courses seem to fall down on both.

The point of going to berkeley or mit is to get the paper saying you did that and to show how you competed against the most carefully selected group of students in the country and got good grades. These online courses seem to fall down on both.

Well, of course. But if someone happens to be interested in any of these subjects, I see where it could be a great tool to help guide them.

Its much more fun to tell them "no" after you've been accepted, because you only applied to win a bet with a science teacher.