tigerdon

A blockbuster trade idea

After hearing that Gasol wants out of Memphis, I starting thinking that this is the guy that we need to acquire. How many times is a talent like Gasol gonna be available. Then I started think about trade possibilities and I came up with this one.

Detroit trades: Wallace (to Philly) Delfino (to Mem) Maxiell (to Philly) Murray (to Mem)1st Rd Pick (to Mem)

Detroit Gets: Gasol (from Mem), Dahntay Jones (from Mem) Chucky Atkins (from Mem)

Memphis trades: Gasol (to Det) D.Jones (to Det)

Memphis Gets: Sam Dalembert (from Philly) Delfino (from Det) Kevin Ollie (from Philly) Flip Murray (from Det) 1st Rd Pick (from Det)

Philly trades: Dalmembert (to Mem) Kevin Ollie (to Mem)

Philly Gets: Wallace (from Det) Maxiell (from Det)

How it helps Memphis: It gives them a legit center and you can start Swift or Warrick at the 4 as well as getting Delfino and a Pick in this years draft

How it helps Philly: Saves them money with Wallace's deal being 2 years less than Dalembet as well as getting a PF in Maxiell

How it helps Det; Gives them a 4 that is more consistent plus a replacement in Jones who can play the 2 or 3 as well as getting Atkins to be the packup PG. Also it allows you to do the Mohammed for Wells and Sura from Houston. Sura would be a throw in and he is semi retired, so he wont ever play for Detroit. Its a lot to digest, but I was curiopus on everyone's feedback.

New Lineup

SF-Price-Wells-Dupree

PF-Gasol-McDyess-A.Johnson

C-Webber-Davis

PG-Billups-Atkins-Hunter-Blalock

SG-Hamilton-D.Jones

So we solve the lack of depth in the backcourt problem by creating a lack of depth in the frontcourt?

I disagree. Amir has got to play and when it comes to the playoffs, we are only going 4 deep anyway, plus Tay has played some 4 this season.

Gasol is really good and Dalembert is not, so I doubt the Grizzlies would agree to that deal. But it would be great for the Pistons.

I disagree. Amir has got to play and when it comes to the playoffs, we are only going 4 deep anyway, plus Tay has played some 4 this season.

Do you think Amir is ready to play legitimate minutes? I don't, but I don't know much inside info either

Memphis gets totally screwed, Detroit does Ok, and Philly makes out like Bandits, getting Rasheed and Maxiell for Dalembert (Kevin Ollie really doesn't count).

I don't get this. I mean, I understand the "let's trade this guy for this guy" thing, but to think up an 8 player 3 team deal is just beyond comprehension to me.

Tradechecker's rock. I think their is less then a 1% chance the Pistons make the kind of trade it would take to get Gasol. What the Pistons have to worry about is that Chicago doesn't get him, if Chicago gets him, you can pretty much write them in as the perennial Eastern Conference champion.

Personally, I'd love to see Murray and Wallace sent to Memphis for Gasol. Then send Nazr or Dale away for a sg/pg.

Gasol would be an amazing addition that could become the franchise cornerstone player for a few years.

I question whether Memphis would think about this one though. I think that in DaBishop's trade the Pistons would probably have to include at least one of their two first round picks. Even then it would be well worth it.

If we're going to try and trade for Gasol, I think the best we can offer is:

Flip Murray, Carlos Delfino, Dale Davis, and 2 first round picks (Detroit's 2007's) to the Grizzlies

It's two expiring contracts, 2 firsts, and a young swingman.

Then I'd try to get the Warriors' Michael Pietrus and Sarunas Jasikevicius for Nazr Mohammed.

It becomes a 3-way if our contracts don't match up correctly (www.tradechecker.com doesn't seem to work for me...) IE: Nazr and Davis to Warriors for Pietrus, Adonal Foyle to Grizzlies... although I think Foyle has a "poison pill" contract IIRC...

I think the only POSSIBLE way this could go down though, is if the Bulls fail in their trade quest to get Gasol. But... they might not be willing to give up what the Grizzlies are asking for. The Grizzlies would certainly be more interested in the Bulls' talent then our expiring contracts and 1st round picks... IMO.

I've been saying that we should get Pau Gasol for a couple of months now. A trade like Wallace-Murray-Johnson-Pick for Gasol and Chucky Atkins comes to mind. That would be a great trade for both sides as Memphis gets a shorter big contract (Sheed), they get a ball handler to replace Chucky (Flip, though obviously not a great one) and they get great potential with our youngest player and a pick. We would make out like bandits as well because Chucky could come in for Chauncey for 10-18 minutes a night and be a streaky scorer and good floor leader. Also, Gasol would be a fantastic upgrade at power forward. He can actually score in the post, he doesn't miss at least 6 3's a game and isn't going to miss 5 games later in the year for having too many technical fouls. Yup, Gasol would be an amazing player for this team... but I doubt it will happen.

Some interesting ideas I found at FoxSports (Ben Maller rumors):

Magic GM Otis Smith said that if "we had (Fran) Vazquez in our pocket" the Magic might be more open to entertaining trade offers for PF Darko Milicic before the deadline. But the club's preference is to re-sign the 7-foot-1 Milicic this summer. Smith said the Magic will still listen to teams asking about Milicic only because Milicic will be a restricted free agent after the season. Orlando has the right to match offers for Milicic, and a team could make an offer out of the Magic's price range. The Magic are trying to establish Milicic's worth this season. They rejected -- at the last minute, according to Milicic -- a five-year $40-million deal last summer. "We like Darko and we want him here," Smith said....

The Magic will look into trading the rights to 2005 lottery pick Fran Vazquez, perhaps as soon as the Feb. 22 trade deadline, said General Manager Otis Smith. Smith reached the conclusion after the 6-foot-11 Spanish forward told him last week that he wasn't ready to join the Magic anytime soon. He has a four-year contract with FC Barcelona.

If we're going to try and trade for Gasol... (www.tradechecker.com doesn't seem to work for me...) ...

I checked it on ESPN's trade machine. A few thoughts:

1) This deal still has no possibility of happening whatsoever, unless Memphis cannot strike a bargain with Chicago, which I think has so much more to offer than we do... I'm not certain how other teams' offers would rank compared to ours... ?

2) We send Nazr & Dale Davis to Golden State, they send us Pietrus and Adonal Foyle to Memphis; We send Flip Murray and others to Memphis (~ salaries $2 mill), they send us Gasol. We probably have to give up 1, or both, 1st rounders to entice Golden State & Memphis into this deal.

2) I selected Delfino & Maxiell to go to Memphis because: (a) I don't think they'd be interested in receiving Lindsey Hunter, (b) or it'd have to be Dupree, Amir Johnson, and Will Blaylock, which I think Memphis would not want either (I'm guessing, but I don't think Memphis even considers the trade unless it's Delfino/Maxiell...), © I think when we get Gasol, every other PF/C backup basically becomes superfluous, at least this year. IE: Webber/ Gasol/ Wallace get 32 minutes a night at the 4 and 5... leaving none for Maxiell, and just a few here and there for McDyess. So at least for this year, I don't feel Maxiell is a loss. Neither are Davis or Nazr... Next year is a different matter, but Gasol/Wallace are a great start, Amir Johnson seems to be filling out and can swing next year between the 3 & 4 (possibly...), and then you fill in the blanks (Webber at league min. for 2 years...? :grin:), resign McDyess or Davis, whatever... Delfino is the only REAL loss for Detroit out of all the players in this hypothetical trade... I'll get to him later.

3) There may even be the possibility that Golden State would give Davis his release... I'm thinking they'll just take the cost savings from the Foyle-to-Nazr switch. But to get them to give up Pietrus, I think we gotta send them our later 1st round pick (our own)... I may be wrong, maybe they'd take a 2nd, or don't need a pick at all, or a future 1st instead of this year??? Memphis would get Orlando's pick of course, although I don't know how happy they'd be getting Foyle... could be a deal-killer right there... For us:

4) Losing Delfino would be the problem. Although, Pietrus might be the same as the 4/5 rotation: splitting time evenly, or somewhat close to it, between the 2 & 3. Rip, Prince, and Pietrus would be a nice rotation. Maybe Pietrus gets 25-30, and Rip/Prince get the rest as starters (34 min.'s each would still leave 28 min.'s for Pietrus...). But back to Delfino. Hate losing him. I think Pietrus is better, but I don't know if he can actually play the 2, and if he can't, it leaves us with a problem: Who is the swing-guard? Lindsey? Dupree? Alex Acker? Can we resign Pietrus, who's a FA after this year? If not, we have a huge hole at the backup 2/3 positions next year that'd have to be filled...

5) This trade, if it were ever to happen (pipe dream... :grin:), would actually create a 2nd unit for us. The second unit would be Gasol, McDyess, Pietrus, Lindsey, and maybe Dupree (at the 2), if that's how Flip would want to coach. Gasol & Pietrus would also get time with starters of course... but just an interesting thought that I was thinking...

This will be posted SEVERAL times over the next several weeks, but we could get Kevin Garnett pretty easily if that is what he wanted. This year being considered the deepest draft in a LONG time. We could trade Rasheed, Nazr, and both our first round draft picks. I don't doubt that others could trade more, but I don't think there is another legit contender that could offer as much as the Pistons. I think Garnett is looking to win, and will dictate where he wants to go if he and/or Minnesota decide to part ways.

I think Garnett has 3 years left on his contract, and will probably be pretty competitive for those 3 years.

This will be posted SEVERAL times over the next several weeks, but we could get Kevin Garnett pretty easily if that is what he wanted. This year being considered the deepest draft in a LONG time. We could trade Rasheed, Nazr, and both our first round draft picks. I don't doubt that others could trade more, but I don't think there is another legit contender that could offer as much as the Pistons. I think Garnett is looking to win, and will dictate where he wants to go if he and/or Minnesota decide to part ways.

I think Garnett has 3 years left on his contract, and will probably be pretty competitive for those 3 years.

McHale is stupid but he's not looking to get fired quite yet I don't think.

McHale is stupid but he's not looking to get fired quite yet I don't think.

Well if Minnesota continues the current losing streak (actually I think they just won their first game in the past 7), McHale might not have a choice. They are still a #8 seed in the West, so I see no changes anytime soon. If they become a lottery team, than I can see Garnett demanding a trade. Whether he would want to come to Detroit is a different matter (of which I could dream)!

It's not a matter of Garnett wanting a trade. It's a matter of Minnesota trading their franchise player for a player well past his prime (with 3 very expensive years on his contract) and who is also known as a problem if he's not happy, a player that makes Shawn Bradley look like Shaq (with 4 years at about 4mill/year too much), and a couple of mid to late round draft picks.

It's not a matter of Garnett wanting a trade. It's a matter of Minnesota trading their franchise player for a player well past his prime (with 3 very expensive years on his contract) and who is also known as a problem if he's not happy, a player that makes Shawn Bradley look like Shaq (with 4 years at about 4mill/year too much), and a couple of mid to late round draft picks.

With the money they save overall (6 million a year for at least 3 seasons) they could easily buy out Nazr contract if he didn't help them in the next few years. Also $5 million is pretty easy to trade (although $5 million for 4.5 years might not be). I don't think I would give him Shawn Bradley status, but he is probably worth no more than $2 mil per. Rasheed would help if they drafted some big rookies, of course he might just quit on them if he didn't like the situation there. I've got a feeling that unless Orlando makes a big trade, their pick will be in the low teens. If Minnesota has a pick around ten, and a mid twenty Piston's pick, they could draft quite a strong future lineup. Or trade up for a stud. The draft will be filled with them.

Again, Minnesota will not get what they should for Garnett, but if Garnett wants out, Detroit might be the only contender that has a decent trade return and that Garnett will agree to be traded to. Obviously we won't know for another 6 weeks. Minnesota will have to fall about 8-10 games under .500 by that time to make it a possibility. Flip probably helps us a lot if Garnett is looking for another team!

Heard Portland was offered Pau Gasol ($12.3 million) for LaMarcus Aldridge ($4M), Sergio Rodriguez ($760G) and Jamaal Magloire's expiring ($8.433M) contract.

Without doubt, Gasol and Zach Randolph would be a daunting duo to defend, but they'd also be a serious threat to give up as much as they put up. -- New York Post

we couldn't do better than this?

Heard Portland was offered Pau Gasol ($12.3 million) for LaMarcus Aldridge ($4M), Sergio Rodriguez ($760G) and Jamaal Magloire's expiring ($8.433M) contract.

Without doubt, Gasol and Zach Randolph would be a daunting duo to defend, but they'd also be a serious threat to give up as much as they put up. -- New York Post

we couldn't do better than this?

Do you have a link?

If this is true, Joe better be on the phone nonstop with Memphis.