Tyrus

The Pet Peeve Thread

Before this past year I use to order from amazon 2-3 times a month.  Just an item or 2.  I have placed about 100 orders in the past month.  I notice some orders take a little longer, but for the most part my orders come before they say they will.

People at parades.  Or maybe its me, I don't know. 

You get to a parade, stand along the parade route on the curb and out of the road, patiently awaiting.  And then other folks show up.  And look for a spot.  And then decide to stand in front of you.  Maybe even sit a child on your foot.  Maybe even go out onto the road essentially choking the path of the parade, forcing bands and dancers and whatnot to shrink up their formations.  Maybe even damn near get run over by a vehicle to grab that precious dum-dum sucker that it is sitting on the cold, wet pavement, probably already smashed up inside the wrapper.

So, yeah, people at parades.  Or maybe just me.

8 hours ago, Casimir said:

People at parades.  Or maybe its me, I don't know. 

You get to a parade, stand along the parade route on the curb and out of the road, patiently awaiting.  And then other folks show up.  And look for a spot.  And then decide to stand in front of you.  Maybe even sit a child on your foot.  Maybe even go out onto the road essentially choking the path of the parade, forcing bands and dancers and whatnot to shrink up their formations.  Maybe even damn near get run over by a vehicle to grab that precious dum-dum sucker that it is sitting on the cold, wet pavement, probably already smashed up inside the wrapper.

So, yeah, people at parades.  Or maybe just me.

My kid enjoys going to parades sometimes so I've taken her to several, and I've never seen behavior like this.   Not just you... if that happened near me,  I'd post about it here too haha

I like parades because I like marching bands and at our local Memorial Day parade there is always a flyover. So there's that. My kids don't enjoy them though at all.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I like parades because I like marching bands and at our local Memorial Day parade there is always a flyover. So there's that. My kids don't enjoy them though at all.

My kids are likely going to be in the high school marching band when the time comes, so I'm looking at 8 solid years of parades.  And fundraisers (in addition to the other fundraisers).  And trips that sound fun but probably end up being headaches for the parents.

I don't recall breaking any mirror, but, eh, whatevs, its for the kids.

You can look forward to losing weekends to *insert children's activity here*.  Comes with the territory.

On top of the enjoyment of watching your children develop (and hopefully enjoy themselves doing it), you also will meet other parents you otherwise wouldn't have.  I met some of my best friends that way.

So it ain't all bad, bigglesworth threads aside.

We go to the memorial day parade in Dearborn every year.  I especially like it because our spot is in front of a bar and every year I get a breakfast sandwich and beer.... or two.

And yes, that behavior happens.  You go curbside and inevitably someone will try to set up in the street.  "What, you mean i can't show up at 9:59 am for a 10 am parade and get a good spot?"

The worst part of the parade is when certain family members want to then go out to eat after... I'm like "Dude, it's 11 am on a holiday... I just spent 2.5 hours with y'all.... I want to go home now and chill." 

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

"Dude, it's 11 am on a holiday... I just spent 2.5 hours with y'all.... I want to go home now and nap." 

FTFY.

• Like 1

Try taking someone in a wheelchair to a parade.  We checked my MIL out of the nursing home once because she expressed the desire to see the Christmas Parade downtown, something she had fond memories of taking her children to and of watching her children participate in.  We went early so that we wouldn't have to navigate crowds with her and so that she could be in a place where she could see.  It was miserable.  Grown able-bodied adults stepping in front of her and standing.   I was wishing I had a taser.   

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I was wishing I had a taser.   

I have a license to carry a taser and Michigan has reciprocity with Texas so maybe I'll come and visit for the next parade!!!

I kid of course before anyone thinks I'm serious.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

Try taking someone in a wheelchair to a parade.  We checked my MIL out of the nursing home once because she expressed the desire to see the Christmas Parade downtown, something she had fond memories of taking her children to and of watching her children participate in.  We went early so that we wouldn't have to navigate crowds with her and so that she could be in a place where she could see.  It was miserable.  Grown able-bodied adults stepping in front of her and standing.   I was wishing I had a taser.   

I hate people...

33 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I hate people...

I was equally ticked at the city, truth be told, because they had fencing set up to keep people off the street during the parade.  We had her up against the barrier but the police weren't enforcing it and the ones blocking her view were walking around the fence to stand on the street side.   I actually wrote the major and cc'd our city council rep about it.  Never heard back, though.  

Both of my parents had stretches near the end of their lives where they either had walkers or wheelchairs and every time I was with them in a public place and someone did something crappy like that I would say something to the effect of 'please give us space' or 'you're blocking my father's view' , and without fail they would move.

Yeah, it sucks to have to say something in the first place, but I found a comment resolved the issue every time.

Sad to say, my own experience has been about fifty-fifty.  Almost everywhere I have been since 2012 has been in the company of a handicapped individual (my husband).    Some people are very nice but we encounter a lot of jerks.  

46 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sounds like people in Texas are ***holes.

Oh, we have our share of them.  Now as to how many are natives and how many are recent from elsewhere, I can't say.   

a family member has a craft based side business.   I won't say what it is specifically.  Wife asked her if she'd "make one" for our son so we could give it to him for Christmas.  We weren't asking for anything for free.   We were a little surprised when she didn't even give us a 'family' rate but that's ok, it's a business.  We get it.  

What I didn't expect was to hear family gossip through the grapevine that she was upset that we didn't "thank her" appropriately for the item.  I guess we needed a social media posting or something.

Hey business is business....

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Is this family member from Texas?

I think it's more likely they are from the north and do not remove snow from the roof of their vehicle.

• Haha 4