Tyrus

The Pet Peeve Thread

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Slow Drivers.   I hate them.   I really do.    

Yesterday on the drive home,  Dude in the LEFT LANE on 94 going about 48, in moderate traffic.   The Trucks were in the middle lane (as they should be) and the right lane is slow because of the huge amount of exits between Downtown and Dearborn.   So this dude is massively screwing up the flow of traffic and totally oblivious.    Finally, took advantage of a gap in the middle lane,  like everyone else and went around him.   A young guy, probably 30s...........not on a cellphone......just driving like an ****.   

Then get off the freeway and encounter a flashing red light.  The lady in front of me stops..........and waits.......and waits........and waits......no traffic crossing the road...........I finally honked and she moved.........we get to the next solid red and I am next to her and she is screaming at me about running a red light............I told her it was a flashing red and she didn't know the difference.   

Last week, I get to an intersection where the traffic light is out.  It's a four way stop then.  My turn comes up and I start going and this lady is coming from around the cars stopped on Pelham Rd.   She nearly hits me and screams GET OUT OF THE WAY.   I told her it was my turn,  and she was under the impression that since Pelham is a bigger road than the side street I was on, that the Pelham drivers don't have to stop.   Didn't know how a four way stop works.    

WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE COMING FROM ?   

Not to mention the daily adventure of people engrossed in their dumbphones while driving, not paying any attention.  I can spot them a mile away now and get as far away from them as I can. 

Yesterday I spotted a Unicorn.   A hipster on a bike in Detroit who actually stopped at a red light.    These morons usually blow through red lights and stop signs without looking and with their headphones blasting in their ears.  Then they get mad at cars that almost hit them.  Our hospital shuttle drivers have to deal with these idiots everyday.   

Oh, and if all your friends are wearing the man bun/beard combo - it ain't hip anymore, it's just another clique now.  

source.gif

hate it when people point out a cute video that might induce tears and say "I'm not crying, you're crying"

• Like 1

When people ask questions but as part of the question they rattle off a bunch of potential answers.... just shut up and let me answer.

I hate that on phones the number pads have 1-2-3 on the top but on keyboard the 1-2-3 is on the bottom.        

Its like how some cars have gas tanks on the driver's side and some on the passenger's side.  

WHY CAN"T WE JUST AGREE ON ONE WAY AND DO IT THAT WAY ? 

CSR peeve. People who call in to make a payment only to make you wait while they find their credit card.

Second only to customers who constantly interrupt you when you are attempting to answer a question and/or solve their problem

52 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hate that on phones the number pads have 1-2-3 on the top but on keyboard the 1-2-3 is on the bottom.        

Its like how some cars have gas tanks on the driver's side and some on the passenger's side.  

WHY CAN"T WE JUST AGREE ON ONE WAY AND DO IT THAT WAY ? 

I understand why gas tanks fill on both sides, but I really have no idea why or how the 1st calculator builders and the phone company got on opposite sides - does make no sense at all. I would guess the phone company actually had reasons for doing it the way they did. The question probably is why did the prior design from keyboard/calculator people counterintuitively decide to put 789 on top.

It may go back to pre-nine digit adders, which had a separate column of 1-9 for each power of ten. In that scheme 2 is "higher" than one and so those columns were always done with then '1' at the bottom and '9' at the top. Maybe adding machine builders thought putting '1' at the bottom of the 9 key pad made for a more natural transition to 9 key devices.

image.thumb.png.657f4ece3ca0b4dc61844fa53fed8dc8.png

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

image.thumb.png.657f4ece3ca0b4dc61844fa53fed8dc8.png

Wow, I remember when I was young, my mom and dad had one of these things in the basement.  I have no idea why, other than mom was a pack rat.  Anyway, the thing weighed around a half of a Sherman tank.  It might still be at that house.  Moving it out of the basement might throw the foundation off kilter.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Wow, I remember when I was young, my mom and dad had one of these things in the basement.  I have no idea why, other than mom was a pack rat.  Anyway, the thing weighed around a half of a Sherman tank.  It might still be at that house.  Moving it out of the basement might throw the foundation off kilter.

My dad, who was a bit of gadget freak, had one of these at home...It did multiplication and some division

20 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I understand why gas tanks fill on both sides, but I really have no idea why or how the 1st calculator builders and the phone company got on opposite sides - does make no sense at all. I would guess the phone company actually had reasons for doing it the way they did. The question probably is why did the prior design from keyboard/calculator people counterintuitively decide to put 789 on top.

It may go back to pre-nine digit adders, which had a separate column of 1-9 for each power of ten. In that scheme 2 is "higher" than one and so those columns were always done with then '1' at the bottom and '9' at the top. Maybe adding machine builders thought putting '1' at the bottom of the 9 key pad made for a more natural transition to 9 key devices.

Speaking for CPAs, in my case, and data entry clerks everywhere, changing to the telephone keyboard would slow things down considerably.  I don't know why the telephone keypad is the way it is, but it came after the calculator keyboard.  Telephone numbers were originally entered with a dial, the touch pad came later, as in, 1950s?

On 8/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, apabruce said:

Speaking for CPAs, in my case, and data entry clerks everywhere, changing to the telephone keyboard would slow things down considerably.  I don't know why the telephone keypad is the way it is, but it came after the calculator keyboard.  Telephone numbers were originally entered with a dial, the touch pad came later, as in, 1950s?

Maybe Western Electric didn't want people calling them up asking them how to get their new adding machine to work...

• Haha 1

I used to work as an old school keypunch operator.  Our terminals were arranged like the phone except with the 0 at the very top above the three.  At the time I was entering payroll, all numeric with project codes.  Then I would have to switch to an adding machine for other payroll work, with the keys in the opposite direction.    

On 8/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, CMRivdog said:

CSR peeve. People who call in to make a payment only to make you wait while they find their credit card.

Second only to customers who constantly interrupt you when you are attempting to answer a question and/or solve their problem

Which is akin to people constantly asking for advice, but never following any of it. In fact, constantly doing the ONE thing that everyone in their life has told them not to do .. & then wondering why things "always" work out that for them.  

People who don't understand what the First Amendment is, regarding Freedom Of Speech.      Getting fired for saying racist stuff online is not a violation of your First Amendment rights.  

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

People who don't understand what the First Amendment is, regarding Freedom Of Speech.      Getting fired for saying racist stuff online is not a violation of your First Amendment rights.  

Yeah, everyone remembers "freedom of speech" but no one remembers " Congress shall make no laws".

19 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

****. How do I delete a tweet? 

Evidently CBD products are the new Amway.  Keep having people contact me that I haven’t spoken to in years, and all of them are hawking it as a “business opportunity.”  

1/4 of my wife’s female friends on FB are selling ****.   Plexus. Wraps. Creams. Oils.

She does do the oils. I don’t interfere.  If it makes her happy so be it.  

On 8/12/2019 at 12:36 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

The Channel 7 noon weather guy whenever it's humid says "air you can wear" all the time and I HATE HIM for it.   

Yeah, but the morning weather woman more than makes up for it. Anne Marie Laflamme.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

1/4 of my wife’s female friends on FB are selling ****.   Plexus. Wraps. Creams. Oils.

She does do the oils. I don’t interfere.  If it makes her happy so be it.  

SHE'S ON DRUGS...................ALL SHE WANTED WAS A PEPSI AND YOU WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO HER.......JUST ONE PEPSI.  

14 hours ago, Melody said:

Evidently CBD products are the new Amway.  Keep having people contact me that I haven’t spoken to in years, and all of them are hawking it as a “business opportunity.”  

I use CBD and it does what I need it to do. Local Family Video stores sell it too. That said, where there is product and sheeple, there will be MLM.

Why does family video sell CBD?  Is it for the video game stoners?  Do they sell Mountain Dew and Funyuns?

We've considered CBD for our youngest son.

57 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Why does family video sell CBD?  Is it for the video game stoners?  Do they sell Mountain Dew and Funyuns

$

CBD has done wonders for my mild asthma and recurring golfer's elbow. It's helped ease pain with a coworker's elderly FIL suffering from cancer and has eased a friend's anxiety issues to the point where he could successfully cease pharmaceutical assistance.

Is it a miracle drug? Probably not but it seems to do a lot of good things with epileptics  etc.

The only side affect I've seen is that I am incredibly thirsty so I drink a lot more water (which in and of itself is good as it helps flush toxins).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

$

CBD has done wonders for my mild asthma and recurring golfer's elbow. It's helped ease pain with a coworker's elderly FIL suffering from cancer and has eased a friend's anxiety issues to the point where he could successfully cease pharmaceutical assistance.

Is it a miracle drug? Probably not but it seems to do a lot of good things with epileptics  etc.

The only side affect I've seen is that I am incredibly thirsty so I drink a lot more water (which in and of itself is good as it helps flush toxins).

I'm happy for all that... I was just wondering why it's sold at a video store... like do they sell cough syrup and tampons too?  I don't see the connection.  I also saw a Family Video promote that they have CBD.