Tyrus

The Pet Peeve Thread

1 hour ago, Melody said:

That is part of our problem.  The trim around the doors has a pretty custom paint treatment that we are unable to duplicate and if it got messed up, we would have to repaint a whole lot of wood that we just don’t want to do right now, esp since what is there is very nice and in good condition.  Plus mom likes it.    Put it off until this evening because my brother found he didn’t have the blade he wanted with him.  

OMG we will be glad to have this finished.    Getting close, God willing.  

If you want to save the trim, then you definitely have a tough job to do. I would attack it with a rotary tool with a 4" saw blade. That won't get you into the corners, but an oscillating tool with a saw blade should allow you to take the cut to the edges of the door. The osc tool could do the whole thing but it might take forever.

• Thanks 1

I’m tired of being guilted into trying to feel bad for others.  This time of year is good for it. 

“You think it’s hot?  Try being a soldier in the desert where it’s like this at 2 am and it’s 120 during the day and you are wearing full fatigues!  Quit complaining” 

similar to firefighters.  

Yeah I get it.  Some are in a worse spot. You bringing that up doesn’t make you a better person. 

31 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I’m tired of being guilted into trying to feel bad for others.  This time of year is good for it. 

“You think it’s hot?  Try being a soldier in the desert where it’s like this at 2 am and it’s 120 during the day and you are wearing full fatigues!  Quit complaining” 

similar to firefighters.  

Yeah I get it.  Some are in a worse spot. You bringing that up doesn’t make you a better person. 

I do it to myself just to keep some perspective.  I have a desk job in air conditioning.  So, yeah, I know I ain't got it anywhere near as bad as others.

The "dry heat" thing was always a peeve of mine.  I don't like dry heat, I don't like humid heat.  Sure, it feels different, but both suck when the real feel is 100.

I used to be able to deal very well with cold.  My blood has thinned out a lot over the last few winters.  And its been a free fall rather than a gradual decline.

11 hours ago, Oblong said:

similar to firefighters.  

You think that's bad? Try being asked to donate a dollar to needy children when you're at the checkout lane.

• Haha 1

Don't get me wrong I am personally not complaining about the heat.  I love it.  

Its more about the guilting of other people.  Same holds true on Memorial Day and July 4.  There's also those people who feel the need to remind us while having our BBQ the "real reason". Throw in Christmas too. 

Everyone's well aware despite your internet meme.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You think that's bad? Try being asked to donate a dollar to needy children when you're at the checkout lane.

I despise all companies that try to get you to donate money to (insert cause here) at checkout, and I don't trust those companies to use the money that's donated for the cause they are hocking.

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Don't get me wrong I am personally not complaining about the heat.  I love it.  

Its more about the guilting of other people.  Same holds true on Memorial Day and July 4.  There's also those people who feel the need to remind us while having our BBQ the "real reason". Throw in Christmas too. 

Everyone's well aware despite your internet meme.

Christ wasn't even born near December 25th, so they can go eat a **** on that one.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I think I just had another good joke overlooked.....

You know what they say about having to explain a joke... 

I have peeved this before I am sure, but I just heard another commercial for it while listening to one of the comedy stations on Sirius.

This one especially peeved me because of the way the guy was laughing.  The "I have not paid my taxes in 5 years and contacted 'x' company and man am I glad I did!"  Insert douchy laugh...almost a giggle.

I, literally, go off in the truck when I hear these.  Congratulations for being a db and not paying your taxes for 5 years - enjoy your hand out....that ends up getting passed down to honest tax payers.

Trying to buy tickets for an event and they have that setup where you pick your tickets.  Trouble is there's 3 in the row and when I try to buy 2 it tells me I left a single seat available "Please adjust your selection"  Yet right in the rows in front are single seats.

Guess I'm not going.  I have a thing where if a business makes it difficult for me to give them my money then I won't.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Trying to buy tickets for an event and they have that setup where you pick your tickets.  Trouble is there's 3 in the row and when I try to buy 2 it tells me I left a single seat available "Please adjust your selection"  Yet right in the rows in front are single seats.

Guess I'm not going.  I have a thing where if a business makes it difficult for me to give them my money then I won't.

thanks for reminding me. the movie theater I customarily go to now requires seat-picking when buying tickets at the ticket counter. the line has never moved so fast. 🙄

Wind.

Just dropped an 8" 40 ft long limb that bounced off my roof and across the backyard. Spending the morning with a chainsaw had not been the plan...

8 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I have peeved this before I am sure, but I just heard another commercial for it while listening to one of the comedy stations on Sirius.

This one especially peeved me because of the way the guy was laughing.  The "I have not paid my taxes in 5 years and contacted 'x' company and man am I glad I did!"  Insert douchy laugh...almost a giggle.

I, literally, go off in the truck when I hear these.  Congratulations for being a db and not paying your taxes for 5 years - enjoy your hand out....that ends up getting passed down to honest tax payers.

And I get audited three years in a row.  Maybe I should just stop paying taxes.

I hate feeling like a chump b/c I followed the rules....

Am I the only one fed up with toilets flooding / being out of commission because some cretin flushed something inappropriate?

I mean, I've worked at 3 places as an engineer, all 3 have had to put up signs on what is ok and not ok to flush because how many times maintenance had to unclog a toilet.

How self absorbed and/or oblivious does someone have to be to not use a toilet properly?

48 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Explain that to me.  Please.

Well, it is a word that is used to identify a person or thing by someone. It can be used as a pronoun, determiner, adjective, adverb and conjunction (if that's your function).

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Am I the only one fed up with toilets flooding / being out of commission because some cretin flushed something inappropriate?

I mean, I've worked at 3 places as an engineer, all 3 have had to put up signs on what is ok and not ok to flush because how many times maintenance had to unclog a toilet.

How self absorbed and/or oblivious does someone have to be to not use a toilet properly?

we haven't had signs yet, but I've considered hanging them up at my work.  The precipitating event is seeing gum in the urinals.   Seriously?   Someone has to get that **** out of there, all so you don't spit your gum out in a ******* trash can?    So pathetic.

3 hours ago, pfife said:

we haven't had signs yet, but I've considered hanging them up at my work.  The precipitating event is seeing gum in the urinals.   Seriously?   Someone has to get that **** out of there, all so you don't spit your gum out in a ******* trash can?    So pathetic.

Friend, I have seen used tampons thrown on the floor.  Gag.  Dirty diapers in parking lots, even thrown into grocery carts.  Who raises such pigs?  These people who have to clean up after them are typically minimum wage and work darned hard for their livings.   They shouldn't have to additionally deal with unnecessary nasty.    So freaking disrespectful.  

If you throw cigarette buts out your car window I automatically think you are a db.  I see it far too often in my commute.  

20 hours ago, pfife said:

I walked into a stall a few weeks ago in our office and the thing looked like the toilet from Trainspotting.... someone did that and just walked away.  How does that even happen?  It was beyond disgusting.