Tyrus

The Pet Peeve Thread

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

did it just stop turning on? Or start blinking on and going right back off?

It's got android TV operating system, and it does the operating system boot up, then it gets almost to the point where it's going to function, then it reboots and starts all over.  I think it did that all night last night, over and over again.   Efforts to do a factory reset have failed thus far.   

The other awesome thing - the methods I've found on the internets for resetting the TV are a two person job b/c you're supposed to hold down buttons and plug in the tv at the same time, but the buttons are on the left side of the tv, the plug is on the right side of the tv, and the TV is 65".  

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

Yeah man I've scrolled through Costco and best buys sites this morning and the only one I saw (in the size range I want) that was not a smart TV was an outdoor tv.

So it appears there's no way to learn from thine mistakes and not buy a TV with an operating system that keeps it from turning on.   Because I need an operating system to watch whatever an HDMI input is receiving apparently.   SO PISSED RIGHT NOW BRO

I like buying TVs from Costco because their return policy and warranty program is so good. 

I think they have a 65 inch TCL Roku tv 6 series that has very good specs/reviews. Yeah, it’s a smart tv, but the roku interface is pretty good. If I was in the market I would probably go that route. 

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

The other awesome thing - the methods I've found on the internets for resetting the TV are a two person job b/c you're supposed to hold down buttons and plug in the tv at the same time, but the buttons are on the left side of the tv, the plug is on the right side of the tv, and the TV is 65".  

plug it into an outlet strip with a 10 ft cord and a power switch on it so you can put the switch near the buttons.

I asked the power up question because probably 90% of HW fails in modern electronics are just the internal power supply, and that can be fixed but clearly that's not the problem. Still, they should have left a way to reset the dumb thing to the factory programming....

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I like buying TVs from Costco because their return policy and warranty program is so good. 

I think they have a 65 inch TCL Roku tv 6 series that has very good specs/reviews. Yeah, it’s a smart tv, but the roku interface is pretty good. If I was in the market I would probably go that route. 

We bought that about six months ago and have been really happy with it.

My TV is 10 years old.... 

My wife really wouldn't do well with a new one.  She can barely manage switching to the ROKU.  Luckily they have the netflix app on Xfinity X1 system.

So I called Sony's technical support..... and they were very helpful.  They emailed me the articles from their website I already found and tried and retried.

I thanked the gentleman kindly for using the google machine and hung up on his ***

meanwhile the tv is still in a loop

I will be buying a tv from costco in the morning I guess

it actually wasn't kind but I didn't swear

4 hours ago, pfife said:

So I called Sony's technical support..... and they were very helpful.  They emailed me the articles from their website I already found and tried and retried.

I thanked the gentleman kindly for using the google machine and hung up on his ***

meanwhile the tv is still in a loop

I will be buying a tv from costco in the morning I guess

This is exciting. McDonald’s breakfast beforehand?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shelton said:

This is exciting. McDonald’s breakfast beforehand?

yeah we'll go through the drive thru then the costco gas station

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

You're going to drop a grand on a tv and save 3 cents on gas. The latter seems a little unnecessary. 

6 hours ago, pfife said:

Choose your lane wisely. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Choose your lane wisely. 

So good

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

You're going to drop a grand on a tv and save 3 cents on gas. The latter seems a little unnecessary. 

Wanna hear unnecessary?  I'm going to use my costco credit card too and get 4% cash back on the gas, and 2% cash back on the TV.

41 minutes ago, pfife said:

Wanna hear unnecessary?  I'm going to use my costco credit card too and get 4% cash back on the gas, and 2% cash back on the TV.

me-on-weekened-make-it-rain-meme.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

So good

The shortest line is probably the best. 

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Maybe he’s buying the cheap tv?

That said, should he *not* get the gas that is available at the same location where he will be?

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

My research has me leaning toward the 8000 series Samsung or the rough equivalent LG.   Perhaps the QLED Samsung that's tad more expensive than the 8000 series.

I have a cheap tv that is absolutely horrible for watching sports, there's blur all over, I can't have that in my main rig

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

A good site for TV ratings if you're looking to buy.

https://www.rtings.com/tv

damn thanks man, good site.   The Samsung RU8000 is right there first under recent activity, that's the one I'm considering.

11 minutes ago, pfife said:

damn thanks man, good site.   The Samsung RU8000 is right there first under recent activity, that's the one I'm considering.

Samsung makes a nice TV.  My mom and her husband have one that is 3 or 4 years old and the picture is gorgeous.  

30 minutes ago, pfife said:

My research has me leaning toward the 8000 series Samsung or the rough equivalent LG.   Perhaps the QLED Samsung that's tad more expensive than the 8000 series.

I have a cheap tv that is absolutely horrible for watching sports, there's blur all over, I can't have that in my main rig

I have the QLED, highly recommended! You won't need a new tv for another 10 years. 

36 minutes ago, Shelton said:

That said, should he *not* get the gas that is available at the same location where he will be?

IDK. Every time I see a Costco gas station there are unnecessarily long lines. I don't understand how people wait in those lines to save what, a dollar? 

4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I have the QLED, highly recommended! You won't need a new tv for another 10 years. 

QLED (Samsung) and Nano IPS (LG) are supposed to achieve pretty similar performance. I have had pretty good luck with the reliability of both Samsung and LG displays. I have a 55 LG IPS now which is a few of years old now. When we bought it the display did not "jump off the wall" as much as some others, but I like the naturalness/accuracy of the IPS color gamut - esp for watching sports.

But display tech has been moving fast.