Tyrus

The Pet Peeve Thread

wow... I got a late start... 1998.  Email was just starting.  We had an internal network for employees only.  Senior managers and the IT staff had external email access and 2 people had outside internet access.

My boss and I talk constantly about how hard it is to manage things.  In our world at least.  I have a bad habit of using Outlook as a filing system.  I've tried lots of ways to manage things and I always go back to simply a notepad or word document that lists tasks..... and I action them.  Sometimes simple is best.

Speaking of daily planners, early in my career I had a boss buy me one for my birthday because he liked the cut of my jib / was grooming me paired with he was concerned that I wasn't as effective as I could be because I did not take extensive notes at meetings.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I remember when we got email it was intranet only.  It was called cc: mail.

We were on Windows 3.1.  It was 1995/6.

I remember cc:mail as well.  That was after we had black screens with green letters and booted with a disc.  The high power machines for running the CAD system were 20k dollar Sun SPARCstations running unix.

I remember my computer first two years of college required a disc just to boot.  It was really only useful for word processing.

To be fair, it was old and I got it for free, so that was not the state of the art at the time (91-92).

There were no shortage of engineering and math majors that dropped several hundred dollars on graphing calculators that both took longer to program AND longer to graph the function once it was programmed than it would take me to plot on graph paper.  But I guess it looked cool (albeit granulated) on the screen after the fact.

And no mouse.  Can't imagine that today.  We have come a long way since then.  You can now carry a stick on your pocket that holds more data than thousands of those old machines.

I believe cc:mail was a LOTUS product.  We had it too.  Every  morning I had to send out a note "All systems are running..."

That job was the epitome of Office Space for me.  It was an internship as I was in my final year of college.  When I saw that movie it hit home.  I was Peter.  The way he described his day was me.  Come in, write that note, run some backups, convert some tape to digital, certain days of the week I had to manually dial into some systems via a modem, place the headset into a machine like in Wargames, roll over in my chair to another desk, whole stretching the cord, and press some keys.  This paid people and also paid their AAA insurance.  

Looking back they probably got a tax break or something.  They didn't seem concerned about giving me work to do.... it was beyond boring.  Luckily I had internet access.  I used to post on the msnbc.com baseball forum a lot.  

When I ran payroll I'd see the names and amounts flash by.  I could work out their salary or pay rate.  I now make over twice as much as my boss back then made.  He didn't do ****.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

There were no shortage of engineering and math majors that dropped several hundred dollars on graphing calculators that both took longer to program AND longer to graph the function once it was programmed than it would take me to plot on graph paper.  But I guess it looked cool (albeit granulated) on the screen after the fact.

I had one of those; it was required by the class.  Couldn't use it today if my life depended on it.

In the late 80s when I worked for a gear manufacturer, some guys there still used slide rules.  And drawings were made on a board with pencils.  I still think some of the draftsmen of that era were true artists and incredibly talented.  I was fortunate enough to be a part of the transition from drafting boards to high end CAD systems.  Incredible journey, and a fun one as well.

51 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I believe cc:mail was a LOTUS product.  We had it too.  Every  morning I had to send out a note "All systems are running..."

That job was the epitome of Office Space for me.  It was an internship as I was in my final year of college.  When I saw that movie it hit home.  I was Peter.  The way he described his day was me.  Come in, write that note, run some backups, convert some tape to digital, certain days of the week I had to manually dial into some systems via a modem, place the headset into a machine like in Wargames, roll over in my chair to another desk, whole stretching the cord, and press some keys.  This paid people and also paid their AAA insurance.  

Looking back they probably got a tax break or something.  They didn't seem concerned about giving me work to do.... it was beyond boring.  Luckily I had internet access.  I used to post on the msnbc.com baseball forum a lot.  

I now make twice as much as my boss back then made.  He didn't do ****.

I remember once as an intern I was to take a paper fault tree analysis pinned up in a meeting room and manually convert it to an electronic file using some rudimentary home brew software they had.  Unbeknownst to me, they expected I would take 3 months to complete it, but I just bore down and ground it out to get it done in a week.

That news got around quick and all the sudden it was expected I repeat that each week for the next 12 weeks.  Think Andy Dufresne and the tax returns.  Everyone came to me with their fault tree analyses.  Worst intern job ever.

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

When I ran payroll I'd see the names and amounts flash by.  I could work out their salary or pay rate.  I now make over twice as much as my boss back then made.  He didn't do ****.

I remember that too so I had to look it up.  Lotus took over cc:mail in 1991, then it went to IBM in 1995.

From Wiki; cc:Mail

I am feeling like I'm about 48 hrs til a full-out cold/bronchitis.  Damn it.  I haven't had one for about 7+ years.

I'm annoyed and just too busy for this crap right now. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Was no need to have a mouse.  Just use the arrow keys to move the cursor.

Right, but in today's world, how many remember the days when there was no mouse.  In the beginning, there was no such thing.

And I thought the only reason I took typing in high school was cause the classes were full of girls.  Never realized how well that would serve me in the years to come.

When we had twins we were told a good rule was that if one got sick to try and get the other sick at the same time.  While we did not 'try' to get the other sick we did not prevent them from doing what they always do which is sometimes drink off each others drinks, give kisses etc.

My son got sick last week, puking in his crib sick the whole deal.  First time for him.  Fever the whole deal and he still has a pretty bad cough left.  I thought my daughter had superwoman genes or something because she showed ZERO signs of anything....until last night.  So one is JUST getting over it and apparently my daughter puked this morning after I left for work with a fever.  Thought we were done with it and we could have a healthy Christmas, hopefully she heals up a little faster than him (she is faster than him at EVERYTHING as it is so hopefully it extends to the flu).

Other than my brother dying I honestly have not felt as bad as I have since my son got sick last week.  REALLY sucks to have sick kids.

I've thrown up twice in the last 20+ years.  Both times I wasn't feeling well.... felt like I had to use the bathroom but didn't.  Got cold.  Took a shower.  Then at some point you just admit that it's coming.... and really as soon as you start to think about it it's almost too late. It was a one and done luckily but the trauma that does to your body requires recovery.  But in both cases I was in denial for about 8 hours leading up to the event.  

It was in the low 60's this morning and my feet were a little cold so I had to put on a pair of slippers. 

For some reason I never throw up either. Once a decade, maybe. The last time was 2006ish, the time before that was '97 and that was entirely due to drinking too much. 

I've been a much healthier person since I get the **** away from cold weather. 

19 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I am feeling like I'm about 48 hrs til a full-out cold/bronchitis.  Damn it.  I haven't had one for about 7+ years.

I'm annoyed and just too busy for this crap right now. 

I had acute bronchitis back in March. First time I've taken myself to the doctor since I was 16. I was on vacation and it was kind of cold out and I was getting in and out of a hot tub for a few days. That probably did it. 

None of your subsequent responses have made me feel like I'm anything but doomed.

Ain't nobody got time for dat.

I don't like it when news stories refer to victims of something as "grandfather" or "grandmother" or any other attempt to garner sympathy.  That's not really relevant to the story.

Why not just say "Person scammed out of $1000"?

We're all 'something' to someone else and don't need the extra qualifier..

• Like 1