Tyrus

The Pet Peeve Thread

I'm feeling ornary, and I can't get to sleep. So I'm going to start a pet peeve thread, dammit!

Here's my pet peeve: I hate it when people say "I have a three o'clock," and omit the word "meeting."

Why can't they just say, "I have a three o'clock meeting"? Do they think it makes them more cosmopolitan to leave out the last word?

Or, "it's a win-win." Why not say, "it's a win-win situation"? God, that irks me!

There. I got it off my chest. I feel much better.

Any pet peeves you'd like to add?

(And I just know some smart-ahss out there is going to say, "my pet peeve is when people start stupid threads.")

(And I just know some smart-ahss out there is going to say, "my pet peeve is when people start stupid threads.")

My biggest pet-peeve is misspelling.

I hate it when people wear shirts that say something like, "I survived Joe's 50th Surprise Birthday Party!" Like it was the Craziest Bash of all time!

I hate it when people refer to their pets as their kids or children.

I hate it when people dress their kids the same or they dress their children like they are (Dad and son dressed the same).

I hate it when people talk loudly on their cell phones in public... my dad does this everywhere.

I hate it when people tell you that "I'm on the phone." and all you want to ask them is a quick question.

I hate it when parents give cute spellings to their children's names:

example: Carin for Karen (and that is a lesser example).

Sure it makes them "unique and their own person", but it is going to aggravate their future teachers and employers to no end (which causes aggravation to the person as well!)

Parents giving all of their children the same first letter to all of their names:

Larry, Laura, Lonnie, ....

Another one of those cute parent things, that is so stupid!

Parents giving all of their children the same first letter to all of their names:

Larry, Laura, Lonnie, ....

Another one of those cute parent things, that is so stupid!

Henry, Hannah and Hayley would like to tell you to eff off.:classic:

I hate when people stop in the middle of an aisle/hallway to talk. Whether it be the store, church, an office building, school, whereever... If you're going to stop, move to the side so that people can get around you. Don't stop and stand in a big circle of people and block anyone from moving around you at all.

I also hate people who disobey rules because it makes it more convenient for them while screwin' everyone else over. I see this a lot in parking lots, where someone will park in a non-designated area because it's closer to the door than at the end of the lot. "Oh, that means no one will be able to drive through this area because my car is blocking the way? Who cares! It helps me out and that's all that matters..."

I hate it when parents give cute spellings to their children's names:

What's great is when they have to get creative with spelling to make sure the name starts with the same letter as all the other kids.

Drivers who KNOW that their lane is merging, but still go all the way up and force their way into your lane.

Oh, you mean the way that it's supposed to be done.

My pet peeve is everyone who merges a mile before the lane closure and wastes all that additional road capacity. Utilize both lanes to the merge point, take turns going into the merged lane and you will all but eliminate bottlenecks and slowdowns.

Henry, Hannah and Hayley would like to tell you to eff off.:classic:

Walter Jones of the beloved Seahawks has twins named:

Walterius and Waleria

:shocked:

I also hate people who disobey rules because it makes it more convenient for them while screwin' everyone else over. I see this a lot in parking lots, where someone will park in a non-designated area because it's closer to the door than at the end of the lot. "Oh, that means no one will be able to drive through this area because my car is blocking the way? Who cares! It helps me out and that's all that matters..."

I completely agree. If I ever kill somebody, I bet it will stem from this sort of incident. Maybe that makes it more than a pet peeve...

People that pass on the right when the left is open and people that sit in the left lane, not passing any traffic.

I don't mind if I have to slow down in the fast lane for a car doing the speed limit or even less, as long as they are passing vehicles and merge over when they are done.

I don't mind if I have to slow down in the fast lane for a car doing the speed limit or even less, as long as they are passing vehicles and merge over when they are done.

Bingo. So long as you're passing cars while in the fast lane, I don't care if you're going slower than usual. But, if you're just putzing along in the fast lane, and not passing anybody, get your butt out of there.

Also, if you're in the slow lane, behind a slower vehicle, and you see me quickly approaching you in the fast lane, do not pull out into the fast lane at the last second, so you can pass that car in front of you. Wait until I pass the both of you, and then get around the slower car.

When you are being waited on at a store and you were there first and you need a question asked and six phone calls later..... HEY JACKASS! I AM HERE WITH MONEY IN MY HAND READY TO MAKE A PURCHASE, PUT THE OTHER ONES ON HOLD FIRST! At a Home Depot once I needed a replacement bag for a leaf vacuum. I went up to the counter and the guy was looking up the number and took about four phone calls and instead of putting them on hold, looked up their questions first. The next call I reached over and pushed the little button and hung up the phone. I was asked to leave and have never shopped there again. There's always Lowe's.

Cell phone conversation should be banned from restaurants. If you have to make a call or if you receive a call during your meal - step to the lobby or step outside. Everyone talks louder on their cellphones.

And I understand when you are at a movie that there is a chance you totally forgot to shut off your cellphone - that happens. But to actually take the call and have a converstation during the movie? You should be kicked squarely in the back of the head by the person sitting behind you.

People text messaging while driving.

What you are out with a date or a friend and it's 10pm and their boss calls and they take it. This happened to me once, I told my boss, it's 10pm I am on a date and she is far better looking than you, I will see you tomorrow morning and (politely) hung up on him. He never did it again.

I just hate cellphones in general. Neccessary evil I guess, but I just hate them. Makes me feel like I am on a leash. My best friend had a girfriend that would not stop calling. Constantly calling. Always calling. Checking up on him to see what he was doing and who he was with. Hon, if you can't trust him that much, then let him go because you never ever be satisfied with his answers.

Another problem I have is with someone telling me I can't do something because someone else is addicted to it.

Just because someone else gambled their house away, doesn't mean I should not be allowed to gamble. Stupid argument. Just because someone else is a heroin junkie, doesn't mean that I can enjoy a little weed once in a while. I am a person that can happily have one beer the whole night and be the driver - I never need to get drunk - so let me drink my beer. Self destructive people will always find ways to destroy themselves. It is their nature. If I can do something in moderation then leave me alone.

When you are being waited on at a store and you were there first and you need a question asked and six phone calls later..... HEY JACKASS! I AM HERE WITH MONEY IN MY HAND READY TO MAKE A PURCHASE, PUT THE OTHER ONES ON HOLD FIRST!

My cousin was a manager at Best Buy for awhile. He always told his crew to work with the customers that took the time to come into the store as they were obviously more interested in making a sale. Sounds reasonable, but his higher ups didn't like to hear phones ringing so his staff constantly answered phones over helping with the customers in the store.

And I understand when you are at a movie that there is a chance you totally forgot to shut off your cellphone - that happens. But to actually take the call and have a converstation during the movie? You should be kicked squarely in the back of the head by the person sitting behind you.

I was at a movie when the person in front of me did this. After a minute or so, I kicked the back of the seat so hard she got the point.

Another problem I have is with someone telling me I can't do something because someone else is addicted to it.

Just because someone else gambled their house away, doesn't mean I should not be allowed to gamble. Stupid argument. Just because someone else is a heroin junkie, doesn't mean that I can enjoy a little weed once in a while. I am a person that can happily have one beer the whole night and be the driver - I never need to get drunk - so let me drink my beer. Self destructive people will always find ways to destroy themselves. It is their nature. If I can do something in moderation then leave me alone.

Who's telling you not to drink your beer?

Essentially other people driving is a pet peeve of mine. People in the surrouding area should realize that I need to be on the road and as such should pull over or not even leave their home.

I know some people might think I am joking, but I am dead serious. I basically hate you if you are on the road in front of me or beside me.

Also, I hate anyone who sits next to me on the Metro when another seat (ANYWHERE) is open. Basically, I feel that I should an entire section of the Metro car basically all to myself.

I really do like people, just not on my way to or from work, or in any other travels to or from a destination.