slim pickens

Sean Casey re-signs.

Notes from the conf call:

Sean Casey is here to be the starter. That was made very clear by Dave Dombrowski who indicated that Chris Shelton would need to earn his way on to the team in spring training and would otherwise be optioned to Toledo.

Dombrowski also said that the starters appear to be set and he isn't looking to make any more deals for starting players.

As for Casey, he is thrilled to be back and said Detroit was his first choice.

Man, how can so many people be so stupid? First, DD and Leyland have this misguided notion that Casey isn't a horrible player. Now Gage.

Doesn't anyone read this forum?:knocked: :knocked:

You say that like Gage is some kind of authority. The fact that DD signed him makes me feel like there might be something good about this deal. Maybe! The fact that Gage likes him gives me no confidence at all. Nothing against Gage. He is a good source of info. I just don't respect his evaluation of players more than those made by people here.

Dombrowski also said that the starters appear to be set and he isn't looking to make any more deals for starting players.

Honestly, I don't believe this at all

This isn't my first option, but I like it better than anything involving a trade of Bonderman .. unless we were going to add A-Rod or Cabrera.

thats what i figured

This was the best deal we could make for this season that gives us flexibility a year from now. A year from now, we'll know a lot more about our pitching situation - Will Bonderman be re-signed longterm, how Verlander fared in his second season, did Maroth bounce back, how Miller, Jurrjens, Tata et al. project as prospects, and thus will put us in the position to move oue of our starters for a bigtime bat (which wasn't a viable move for us to make this off-season).

As for Casey, he is thrilled to be back and said Detroit was his first choice.

That's why they call him the mayor!

I like this signing, IF we didn't overpay Casey and IF the Tigers can pick up one more "high OBP" guy. I would like to see Monroe get fewer at-bats in 2007.
I don't think Monroe is going anywhere and I think that he will start a ton of games next year. Regardless of his OBP, he scored 89 runs and drove in 92. He's a "good earner" in wise guy parlance, regardless of what we think of his .300 OBP. And if Leyland is willing to play Perez he is certainly willing to play Monroe. I would like to look for an upgrade too, but I do not expect it. We should get used to Craig Monroe. He's here to stay--for now.

I don't think there's room for all of Shelton, Monroe and Thames on this team. I'd like to see Monroe or Thames dealt, perhaps for the bullpen lefty we need. One of the beat writers mentioned Pittsburgh needing an outfielder and having three lefty relievers on last year's team. They were all actually decent too. Might be a fit for Thames.

if monroe really gets in a slump next year, sheffield can play the outfield and infante/wilson/thames/shelton/clevlen/gomez/whoever could DH

If the deal was for anymore then a year I'd be opposed to it, but a 1 year deal is definitely acceptable.

I'm basing this on nothing, but I think he'll be better this year then last year. If not, hopefully Shelton can step up. This probably puts us in the market for a SS/1b for next year and I hope the market is better.

I really am against trading Bonderman. This kind of makes it look less likely that this will happen.

1. I don't think there's room for all of Shelton, Monroe and Thames on this team.

2. I'd like to see Monroe or Thames dealt, perhaps for the bullpen lefty we need. One of the beat writers mentioned Pittsburgh needing an outfielder and having three lefty relievers on last year's team. They were all actually decent too. Might be a fit for Thames.

1. Logistically, I don't agree with this. Shelton can start in AAA, and Monroe/Thames/Sheff can co-exist. That changes if we sign Cat (possible) or Dellucci (doubtful). Then logistically, I think you are correct.

2. Agree 100%. Make it so.

I don't think Monroe is going anywhere and I think that he will start a ton of games next year. Regardless of his OBP, he scored 89 runs and drove in 92. He's a "good earner" in wise guy parlance, regardless of what we think of his .300 OBP. And if Leyland is willing to play Perez he is certainly willing to play Monroe. I would like to look for an upgrade too, but I do not expect it. We should get used to Craig Monroe. He's here to stay--for now.

I like Monroe. I would man-love him if we could reduce his AB's though !!!

:cheeky:

We'll probably consider picking over the free-agent bones once the final day to offer arbitration has come and past. Other than that, it looks like it has ended before it really got started.

Well if what DD says is true, and I think it is especially when considering where the payroll projects to be, I am rooting for The Cat to be signed as the utility guy and locking up Bonderman for 3-4 years. I will then be ready for spring training.

This is a fine deal. No, it's not the power bat we necessarily coveted for the first base position, but we have Sheff, Guillen, Inge and Mags to do that. And yes, Monroe will be back, too...and we all know that he only swings for hte fences. We have power, I think consistent hitting was our biggest issue this postseason and season. In mid-August, Monroe was hitting around .280. Maggs went off the deep-end after the All Star break and only regained his form late in the season. Although he was a rookie, Granderson hit a huge slump and didn't really break out of it until the postseason. Casey is consistent, he gets base hits. It's guys like Polanco and Casey who allow us to score runs by getting on base with consistent base hits.

Man, how can so many people be so stupid? First, DD and Leyland have this misguided notion that Casey isn't a horrible player. Now Gage.

Doesn't anyone read this forum?:knocked: :knocked:

So, when Casey has a .700 OPS or lower in mid June next year, are you going to admit you were wrong?

If he's .800+ at that point, I'll be happy to eat crow in a separate thread.

But of course you won't admit you were wrong. His .700 OPS will include a .270 batting average, and that will be enough for you.

Rob

Casey is consistent, he gets base hits. It's guys like Polanco and Casey who allow us to score runs by getting on base with consistent base hits.

They didn't do that this year. They both had very poor OBPs.

So, when Casey has a .700 OPS or lower in mid June next year, are you going to admit you were wrong?

If he's .800+ at that point, I'll be happy to eat crow in a separate thread.

But of course you won't admit you were wrong. His .700 OPS will include a .270 batting average, and that will be enough for you.

Rob

Hey, I was wrong once, back in '78, and I admitted it!

Why on earth would we bat Guillen 5th? Guillen's high OBP and high SLG almost scream, "PUT ME IN THE 3 HOLE !!!!!!!!"

This is absolutely correct. Although it wouldn't be as bad as Leyland batting Casey in the 3 spot over Guillen.

I am hoping for a 3 4 5 of Guillen Sheffield Ordonez.

It doesn't matter a ton I suppose but the higher the OBP the closer to the top I want the batter.

I think some here have a bad taste in their mouths about Casey since he was horrid for us in the regular season, however it is worth noting that he wasa full 100 points below his career average in almost all of the telling average categories(only about 70 points lower in his BA compared for his career average).

Leyland said that ideally he'd love to have Guillen bat in the three-hole and would do so if we acquired another big bat. This was before we acquired Sheffield.

there will be plenty of "rumors" and names mentioned on the boards to keep it interesting, put from the Tigers stand point, i dont think we will be getting any of those names

You haven't been on this board in the offseason have you?