Domino

Jamie Walker is no longer a Tiger

First, that's a horrible analogy because your career isn't limited to a few years with a big payday and the opportunity to "win" a nationally recognized event that sticks in the minds of millions.

Second, where did I say he was "bad". Oh, I didn't. But it sounds better when you are trying to make a point right? Nice strawman.

However, since it's a messageboard:

Is your family set for life now?

Yeah, I guess you're right about the analogy. The short career arc and high injury risk make Walker's money grab far more sensible than if a middle-class person did the same thing.

You didn't come out and say it was "bad," but most sports fans who say players care more about money than winning intend it as a criticism. I find it hard to believe you're the exception.

If I had the choice between making $100K a year and winning "employee of the year" a few times and I'd get and a nice watch as a reward vs making $200K a year and not winning "employee of the year", I'm taking the $200K a year.

If you asked a 50 year old former major leaguer if they'd have rather made $15 million in their career with a chance at a ring vs $25 million and little chance at, I bet they'd pick the $25 million.

Yeah, I guess you're right about the analogy. The short career arc and high injury risk make Walker's money grab far more sensible than if a middle-class person did the same thing.

You didn't come out and say it was "bad," but most sports fans who say players care more about money than winning intend it as a criticism. I find it hard to believe you're the exception.

You know what happens when you "assume". I was just stating that Walker cares more about money than winning.

If you asked a 50 year old former major leaguer if they'd have rather made $15 million in their career with a chance at a ring vs $25 million and little chance at, I bet they'd pick the $25 million.

We should really ask Dan Marino or Barry Sanders if they would rather have more money or a Superbowl Ring.

They might be the exeption to the rule though, because they were superstars.

You know what happens when you "assume". I was just stating that Walker cares more about money than winning.

In your initial post, you suggested Walker needed to "justify" leaving the Tigers. If you weren't implying Walker was motivated by greed, then what does he need to justify, in your view?

I heard that Jamie signed for a few years at $12 million plus and was happy he was getting all that money but wondered how he commanded so much money since he didn't pitch that much. Man the poor Tigers have to pay him $3-4 million a year now that sucks.

But then I heard the Orioles got Walker. I was disappointed the Tigers lost him but can't believe the O's paid that much for a guy who can't get righties out. The Orioles made a mistake.

In your initial post, you suggested Walker needed to "justify" leaving the Tigers. If you weren't implying Walker was motivated by greed, then what does he need to justify, in your view?

To me, I'd rather win a championship and be set for life (adding whatever the Tigers gave him to the 2.4 after taxes that he has made so far).

I can't justify that in my mind.

To me, I'd rather win a championship and be set for life (adding whatever the Tigers gave him to the 2.4 after taxes that he has made so far).

I can't justify that in my mind.

So you do believe he made the wrong choice.

Of course. There was no "bad" choice in it (unless he went to the White Sox).

So you said Walker cares more about money than winning, and you believe that is wrong. What exactly did I assume, again?

So you said Walker cares more about money than winning, and you believe that is wrong. What exactly did I assume, again?

In your scenario you said "Am I bad?" assuming that I thought he was bad for making that choice.

There's a difference between wrong and bad.

If you choose chocolate and I choose vanilla then I will think you're wrong. That doesn't make you or your choice bad.

$6 million is a lot of money to leave on the table. I think they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Winning is one thing. Family is another. This was his one big chance and he took it.

B.I.N.G.O. Ballplayers don't get to make these decisions in a vacuum. Let's cut the guy some freaking slack!

He...was...smart...to...take...the...money.

Sweet Jeebus, if he blew his arm out next week would any of you romanticists pay his mortgage or buy his gorceries?

It seems to me that Jamie was not involved in the arbitration process on his last contract. DD made an offer and Jamie said whatever you want to pay me is fine. At least thats what I remember. New child might have changed his thought process and decided he better make sure his family is secure. As for making the wrong choice, I don't know he got to the world series which is a lot more than most people have ever done. I think I could live with that and the money.

I'm glad Walker got paid. I wish it would have been with us, but, such is life. We always treated him like a second class player in my opinion. He always was a class act.

Walker never really shook his original image of, 'this dude can throw with his left arm, therefore he clearly has the qualifications to play for the lousiest Tiger team of all time'

Except he wasn't a scrub, every one of his 5 years with us he went out and did his job to a T.

His job was to throw strikes, put the ball in play..and if they didn't 'yard' him, he almost always got the job done. He gave up 100 ER with us, if you strip runs via the longball (39hrs), he gave up like 27 runs in five years (270 innings).

270 IP

48BB (not including IBB)

3.5ish ERA

3.8 million is nothing, the Tiger payroll in 2007 will be north of 100 million. Someone decided to just let him drift off. We probably will give our batboy a 7 year deal for 10 million next year.

I know he isn't our closer, or our starter..he was our situational lefty most nights...but he is the same situational lefty that came in owned Pujols in interleagure play with the bases loaded and nobody out and about 2 dozens other scenarios almost identical this year. He has always been the guy that comes in and gets the 'tough' out...then gets pulled and our 'talented prospect of the week' gets the last out and the glory.

You think we can expect to sign a pitcher that will put up numbers like Walker has in his last 5 years with us at 3.8 million? No way. How about for 10 million? What reliever is gonna put up his numbers the next 5 years at any price?

I'm not suggesting he is worth 10 million. He has a roll that gets little acclaim, he is the dude that gets thrown into the fire EVERY OTHER night, he doesn't get the shot to win games or to save them...his only reward for success is not getting a 'L' or a 'BS'

He is a situational lefty, and at that role...there is no pitcher greater than Jamie Walker. Good luck to you and I hope I don't see you wearing the pin-stripes of the Yankees owning us in the playoffs in '07.

He is a situational lefty, and at that role...there is no pitcher greater than Jamie Walker.

uhh... u sure about that?

His job was to throw strikes, put the ball in play..and if they didn't 'yard' him, he almost always got the job done. He gave up 100 ER with us, if you strip runs via the longball (39hrs), he gave up like 27 runs in five years (270 innings).

Why exclude the home runs allowed when evaluating a pitcher?

Why exclude the home runs allowed when evaluating a pitcher?

Not really my intention to exclude something, but rather to highlight something else. I think his (and other) pitchers overall runs allowed are covered fairly well with 'ERA'.

Allowing for all runs scored by any means, shows that he is still statistically our stingest and most consistant pitcher of this millenium...no pitcher has even been close to him.

uhh... u sure about that?

I'm pretty sure, but I can be wrong. (= I will take suggestions of who has been greater the last 5 years. (My definition of a situational lefty is a non-starter/non-closer who is left handed). Semantics gets me all woozy, so basic stats as a comparision the last 5 years will be fine.

One other thing, alot of post about Money vs Winning. I don't begrudge Walker finally making a buck

...but you have to figure if his team is sub .500 and his ERA is sub 4.00 at the all-star break he will find himself pitching in a new uniform...and for a contender.

If the O's try to break Walker out of his LOOGY role for $4 mil a year, there are gonna be a lot of Baltimore fans wondering what the heck was all that money spent for. Nothing against Walker, I just have a feeling he could be a big dissapointment if they try to make him a setup guy or something like that. This is a signing that could really blow up in their face.

Heh, good luck Baltimore. I hope to God they realize he is the epitome of gas can if they throw him into the fire against righties. I've never been a Walker fan, I think we could find a lefty who could get the occasional righty out, too. $4 million per year was just way too much. Sorry Jamie, bye bye.

Walker's made just over $3.6 million in his career. After taxes, he's been paid about $2.4 million.

I'd say it's less than that after taxes.

Although I don't blame Walker for leaving, I'm certainly not going to worry about him "paying his bills" or "buying groceries" having made a mere 3.6 million dollars for playing a kids game.