DTroppens

1988-1989 Pistons DVD Set!!!

I just got back from WalMart and to my surprise in the DVD aisle I saw something pretty awesome. They have a DVD set of the 1988-89 Eastern Conference Finals and NBA Finals in a DVD set for $38.76! That's 10 games for about 40 bucks after tax folks! I bought it immediately. And to get it I actually put it on a credit card. I don't even purchase my Lions season tickets with a credit card! :classic:

I imagine this means in about six months they'll probably have the 1989-90 season on a DVD set and maybe this is a good sign that eventually the Tigers will get off their dufus and create a 1984 set.

For those who heard about the Bad Boys, this is a must get. You are getting 11 games that will pretty much give you a sense what watching the Bad Boys was like. If it's too much ask for it for Christmas. I'm glad I found it. I have only taped games I saw on Classic because I was too stupid to tape them orginally. These will be some good memories. I went to all those Palace games on the road back then and simply loved it.

I've waited all these years for something like this. A few more weeks until copies hit ebay won't hurt--especially when a used copy shows up for $15. Beats my old videotapes of the games, too (if I can find them).

Ahhhh basketball the way it should be played. Someone should tie up Stern and force him to watch that brand of basketball. He'd be begging for someone to kill him.

I'm buying this. I was born in 88, and dont remember the bad boys. But i've watched tapes, and i've read stories. Greatness.

They have the complete games? I need to get the set. I want to see how my memory of that back-court measures up because when that debate start about Billups and Hamilton, I don't even think it's close.

Thanks for the information.

Truth,

I'm about to pop in game 1 right now myself. I don't think it will match up at all either to be honest. I wasn't a big fan of Thomas as a person, but he was one heck of a player. And Dumars - well he's a HOFer as well who did as fine a job on Jordan as anyone ever did. Billups and Hamilton are pretty good, but it's not comparable, especially if you go three deep with Vinnie.

One downfall, if you can call it that (as I open it).

If you don't know the game by game results force yourself not to look at the box too deeply. The DVDs with the red on the spine are the Bulls and the blue ones are the Lakers. The games go in order. The cases have all sorts of great stuff about the games on them (stats), so if you want to be surprised with the games avoid them at all costs. But if you don't care about that then they are pretty darn cool themselves.

I've waited all these years for something like this. A few more weeks until copies hit ebay won't hurt--especially when a used copy shows up for $15. Beats my old videotapes of the games, too (if I can find them).

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&submitsearch=Search&satitle=detroit+pistons+born+bad&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

I'd like to see 1988. That title run was more intense. Beating Boston was my all time favorite Piston win.

Thanks for the Tip Tropp. I will be picking it up during lunch today!

Rob, I have the highlight video from 87-88 season. "Bad Boys" That VCR tape is classic. Couple times a year my buddies and I throw it in and drink a few to go down memory lane. Good times indeed

I used to rent it all the time.

One guy I really liked from the 1989 team was Michael Williams. I thought they could hve developed him some more and kept him around to replace Vinnie as the third guard. Didn't he set the free throw record in MN?

Ahh, it is fun to see some of the things you had locked in your mind for ages destroyed or confirmed watching old stuff like that.

I've always told people that John Salley never saw a missed dunk he didn't like. Well he proved me right in the first game, missing two straight dunks within seconds of each other on the same possession in game one of the tape.

Salley used to shoot about 54 percent a year, but essentially that was saying he shot 54 percent on dunk attempts. :classic:

I can't recall ever seeing anyone miss so many dunks as he did in his NBA career.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone miss so many dunks as he did in his NBA career.

Not even Ben?

Brent,

It's not comparable. Salley was the master of the missed dunk. His dunk conversion percentage has to be considerably lower than Ben's ever was. For every missed dunk Ben had, he had more than his share he provided - and some very athletic ones at that. Salley's dunks for the most part were not as athletic and I recall expecting him to miss one every 3-4 dunks. I never had that impression with Ben.