Kamakzie

Sheffield is a Tiger

This is a freaking great move in my opinion. We are loaded with pitching talent and we gave up a guy who's injury prone and two other guys I've hardly even heard of.... granted I don't get as big into the minors but this is a freaking great deal.

I KNEW when they were having lunch together with JV and such it was NOT by coincidence.

class-A reliever vs. potential HOF hitter. Which one would you pick?

I would have rather had Sheff AND Whelan, that is what I am saying.

I think the Tigers gave up a bit too much, but if it helps them win the World Series, I guess the point is moot.

FYI,I am pretty sure jadefalcon was being sarcastic....

Errr. First impresion is we gave up too much.

If Sanchez turns into a injury prone baffoon, then its a steal. Still, hate to see Whelan go.

I KNEW when they were having lunch together with JV and such it was NOT by coincidence.

Bingo.. they've been hanging out in Vegas, etc. Verlander playing the role as Fraternity scout... nice job JV- I think he's going to fit in well here... our team will welcome him, we've got a great balance of youth and veterans... and we just got a superstar slugger in Detroit... In my opinion I think you'll see better output from Maggs too with this trade- he's not the 'bonified star hitter' anymore.

Given DD's fetish for young hard throwing pitching, I give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt. Sanchez has upside, but I say its well over 50/50 he doesnt establish himself in the majors due to his injuries.

Its nice to have only one key hole to fill. If we can sign a Bonds/Drew or even Soriano/Lee, we will have a hugely upgraded offense without hurting our pitching and defense. In my ideal world:

Granderson/Guillen/Sheffield/Bonds/Ordonez/Monroe/Pudge/Inge/Polanco

or

Granderson/Drew/Guillen/Sheffield/Ordonez/Monroe/Pudge/Inge/Polanco

Errr. First impresion is we gave up too much.

If Sanchez turns into a injury prone baffoon, then its a steal. Still, hate to see Whelan go.

Agree, first impressino I agreed. But honestly, the fact that they let Whelan go makes me happy... it means no way in hell are you going to see Joel Zumaya in anything but an English D for many years... whew.

The devil on my shoulder really hates to see these guys go... but Gary Sheffield is in the heart of our lineup for the next 3 years!!! **** YEAH!

Given DD's fetish for young hard throwing pitching, I give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt. Sanchez has upside, but I say its well over 50/50 he doesnt establish himself in the majors due to his injuries.

Its nice to have only one key hole to fill. If we can sign a Bonds/Drew or even Soriano/Lee, we will have a hugely upgraded offense without hurting our pitching and defense. In my ideal world:

Granderson/Guillen/Sheffield/Bonds/Ordonez/Monroe/Pudge/Inge/Polanco

or

Granderson/Drew/Guillen/Sheffield/Ordonez/Monroe/Pudge/Inge/Polanco

Sheffield and Bonds on the same team....Now that would be some serious reality television.

I liked reading this on the Yankees forum

Re: Official: Sheff traded to Tigers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only bad thing about this deal is that we have to face Sheffield 6 times a year.

This is a sucky deal.

I think Sheff will be great for us. But for 3 years, and that's it. And then retirement time.

DD gave up way too much.

Specifically, Whelan.

Humberto & Claggett, I don't mind. Colon, Ledezma, Infante, etc., I don't mind. And I like Humberto too. I think he can be a Sabathia, top 3 pitcher type. The injuries don't bother me a bit. But...

I think DD F'ed up big time, including Whelan. Say bye-bye to a future Billy Wagner/ Trevor Hoffman. Whelan setting up Zumaya, or the reverse, would've totally dominated. Unstoppable.

I am in mourning.

Its nice to have only one key hole to fill. If we can sign a Bonds/Drew or even Soriano/Lee...

I think its more likely you will see the former rather than the latter now. This team needs LH hitting in the worst way.

I think Sheff was a substitute for Lee/Soriano/Ramirez.....

This move + Bonderman extension are my guess for the major off-season dollars.

A couple of smaller deals for a LH reliever and a LH bat (hopefully Cat) too maybe. Also could pave the way for Casey's return dependent on where they plan to play Sheff. I'd like to see him and Maggs splitting time at DH/OF personnally. I don't want Sheff at 1B.

Yet, you wanted to sign an over 40 oft injured slugger.

I wanted Bonds for a one year deal as a free agent. I don't care if you guys disagree with me. I have a high opinion of Sanchez and Whelan, and I think they will be very good major leaguers. The Tigers overpaid.

This is a sucky deal.

I think Sheff will be great for us. But for 3 years, and that's it. And then retirement time.

DD gave up way too much.

Specifically, Whelan.

Humberto & Claggett, I don't mind. Colon, Ledezma, Infante, etc., I don't mind. And I like Humberto too. I think he can be a Sabathia, top 3 pitcher type. The injuries don't bother me a bit. But...

I think DD F'ed up big time, including Whelan. Say bye-bye to a future Billy Wagner/ Trevor Hoffman. Whelan setting up Zumaya, or the reverse, would've totally dominated. Unstoppable.

I am in mourning.

Whelan was challenged more in college than he was in single A. Of course he was dominating. Just throw the fastball up there (anywhere in the vicinity of the plate) and he had success.

Yessir. This team is going to be fun to watch next year. We upgraded our offense without giving up any of our Major League pitching. Awesome.

This move + Bonderman extension are my guess for the major off-season dollars.

A couple of smaller deals for a LH reliever and a LH bat (hopefully Cat) too maybe. Also could pave the way for Casey's return dependent on where they plan to play Sheff. I'd like to see him and Maggs splitting time at DH/OF personnally. I don't want Sheff at 1B.

I wonder what kinda deal Casey would accept, IMO the best I would do is 5mil per year. He made 8mil last year didn't he?

I have a high opinion of Sanchez and Whelan, and I think they will be very good major leaguers. The Tigers overpaid.

On the flip side of that, we know that Sheffield has a career OPS over .900

a leyland quote already on ESPN.com.

"We have been able to add one of the biggest bats in baseball," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who managed Sheffield in Florida. "I have a great relationship with Gary Sheffield and I have the utmost respect for him. I'm happy to add a bat of this magnitude and that he'll be a Tiger."