Kamakzie

Sheffield is a Tiger

That is a surprise.

I'm not heartbroken about giving up Sanchez, because I'm not sure he'd ever be healthy enough for long enough to become the elite trade chip we thought we had.

If the minor leaguers are not big names, I think this is a nice deal. I'll take the bet Sheff hits until he's 41.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/11/10/sheffield.tigers/index.html

The Yankees and Tigers have agreed on a Gary Sheffield trade, SI.com has learned.

In return, the Yankees will acquire highly touted right-hander Humberto Sanchez and Class A pitchers Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett, according to a Tigers source.

The Tigers will extend Sheffield's contract for two years beyond the one year and $13 million remaining.

Including Whelan and a two-year extension is a bit much...

Hmmm, I will reseve my thoughts until I see everything.

Right now, not too pleased.

EDIT: Now that I HAVE seen the deal I am REALLY not pleased.

I think this is a signal that no Dunn/Texeria trade will happen.

Sanchez, and 2 class A pitchers.

Did they say which two class A pitchers?

That is a surprise.

I'm not heartbroken about giving up Sanchez, because I'm not sure he'd ever be healthy enough for long enough to become the elite trade chip we thought we had.

If the minor leaguers are not big names, I think this is a nice deal. I'll take the bet Sheff hits until he's 41.

Agreed. If Sheffield stays healthy he is a giant upgrade to the offense for this team.

Kevin Whelan aka our closer of the future?? And two extra years??

I still love landing Sheffield, however compared to what others seemed to be offering, I think we gave up too much. Sanchez is likely to end up in the BP, and Whelan is already there.

Granderson

Polanco

Guillen

Sheffield

Ordonez

Not bad at all...

I wonder if DD knows something about Sanchez's arm.

Yeah. Sanchez has never been fully healthy.

The Yankees and Tigers have agreed on a Gary Sheffield trade, SI.com has learned.

In return, the Yankees will acquire highly touted right-hander Humberto Sanchez and Class A pitchers Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett, according to a Tigers source.

The Tigers will extend Sheffield's contract for two years beyond the one year and $13 million remaining.

Thanks Ron....

Sanchez, Whelan, and Claggett for Sheffield. I don't mind the 2 year extension at all honestly because it will keep Sheff happy.

I liked Whelan but he was a minor league reliever. Those are hard to count on long term.

Kevin Whelan aka our closer of the future?? And two extra years??

I still love landing Sheff, however compared to what others seemed to be offering, I think we gave up too much.

Granderson

Polanco

Guillen

Sheffield

Ordonez

Not bad at all...

I think this move cements that they consider Zumaya the closer of the future.

They had to give Sheffield a 2 year extension to keep him happy. It was clear that was the case from the beginning.

I think the lineup will either be:

Granderson

Polanco

Guillen

Magglio

Sheffield

or

Granderson

Polanco

Sheffield

Magglio

Guillen

horrible deal....2 of our best pitching prospects for a 38 year old, injury prone player.

cmon DD wtf are you thinking??

I wouldn't call Sheffield injury prone because of one fluke wrist injury.

I am mixed on this. Sanchez and Whelan seems a bit much to me, especially given Sheffields age. I probably would have passed.

However, the core of this team is relatively old and I like the idea of going for it again in 2007. I hope Sheffield is our 1B, and we still target a Bonds/Dunn type stud for DH.

This is very unlike DD. I'm shocked. I must say it adds more star power and obvious OBP to the Tigers/ slugging pct., but for Humberto and our future closer? Wow. Although, Imagine our line up now...

Batting:

3rd: Carlos Guillen

4th Gary Sheffield

5th: Pudge Rodriguez

6th: Magglio Ordonez

Intriging for sure.

I'll wait for Micro to tell me about the prospects, but my impression is this is a good deal. I don't really care about Whelan.

We acquired an elite hitter without subtracting a current starter. And in a market where Carlos Lee will get $70 million, I'm very comfortable spending $38 million on Sheffield.

I just hope the Tigers don't relax the rest of the offseason. This team can still be upgraded.

I don't have a huge problem with the deal - Sanchez has some injury history, plus his path to being a starter is blocked for the time being in Detroit. More likely he would've been converted to a reliever like Zumaya.

I'm guessing Shef is the Tigers starting 1B next year. Remember he started his career as a SS, then moved to 3B before switching to the OF. So he can play the infield.

And last time I checked - Zumaya is our closer of the future., so I'm not concerned about giving up Whelan.