chasfh

An Insidious Trend

Dude... you told your wife to leave with the kids and you would stay and eat?  My props. That’s a boss move.  

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Dude... you told your wife to leave with the kids and you would stay and eat?  My props. That’s a boss move.  

The kids stayed with him, keep up!

I’m still kind of impressed.  I mean why ruin his meal?

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

I’m still kind of impressed.  I mean why ruin his meal?

Yeah I kept the kids there so they could eat and I could finish my food.  I was hungry.  My wife was either going to beat the lady up or not eat anyway because she was grossed out by the raw bacon so she went across the street to get the ferry tickets and find somewhere to grab a quick bite.

Such a bizarre experience.

The places in the city are hit or miss..... when we used to go up there when the kids were small we categorized them as "This is where my grandma would want to go"...  paneling for walls, drop ceilings, basically card tables set up.... looks like a KFC hall.... but the old folks love it.

16 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Mind you up to this point we have been pretty nice and understanding, there was no shouting or berating (we never do that kind of thing anyway), we call a manager over after finding out who that was from the server, my wife explains the entire situation and after listening to it all the manager straight up says "well you and your kids can leave"...my head was down as I was still munching on my sandwich...I thought we were on candid camera or punk'd I was speechless.......I think my wife said something like "what?" and she reiterated the statement.  My wife was extremely upset, but just got up and started to go...I told her I was not done with my food and told her to leave the kids, but if she stayed she may have fought the manager so I just said go ahead and we will catch up...she walked out...I sat there finishing my food with the kids...as she was getting up there was a table of 4 guys sitting close enough to have heard the whole thing....they asked while she was leaving what that was all about?  We had no idea or explanation...they talked to us for a minute while she was leaving as confused as us.  I finished my food and waited for the waiter, but they did not leave a bill so I just left...it was the weirdest dining experience of my life.  The waiter who was waiting on us was nice enough once she actually took our table, but I had no cash and was going to put the tip on the bill....I just shrugged and walked out about 10 minutes after my wife left.

Meme glasses or thug life or like a boss or deal Vector Image

26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The places in the city are hit or miss..... when we used to go up there when the kids were small we categorized them as "This is where my grandma would want to go"...  paneling for walls, drop ceilings, basically card tables set up.... looks like a KFC hall.... but the old folks love it.

We have stayed in Mackinaw City and don't much care for it. It's like Mackinac Island on steroids. We find St. Ignace to be much more enjoyable. Plus that way we get to cross the bridge twice.

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

We have stayed in Mackinaw City and don't much care for it. It's like Mackinac Island on steroids. We find St. Ignace to be much more enjoyable. Plus that way we get to cross the bridge twice.

Agreed.  Mackinaw is a bit too touristy for my tastes.  St. Ignace is scaled down.

I liked it there too.... I've always wanted to go up there in the fall.... or what's considered fall there weather wise.  If you wait until November you might be pushing it.  

When I visited my sister in law in Dallas I asked about how far Houston was, I was thinking of visiting Bush 41's stuff..... it's far.  Then on the same trip she said something about coming up here and we can go to Mackinac Island... I said "Remember what you told me about Houston?"

I liked hearing about Makinaws history while touring the island, but it was WAY too touristy for my tastes...not just touristy but BUSY...on the island.  We stayed off island in St Ignace...that is where the restaurant was I was talking about.

27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I liked it there too.... I've always wanted to go up there in the fall.... or what's considered fall there weather wise.  If you wait until November you might be pushing it. 

If you've not been to the Big Spring, it is absolutely worth the 3 hour round trip from St. Ignace. You'll need a rec pass.  I have it on my bucket list to visit in winter.

https://upper-michigan.com/kitchitikipi-big-spring/

17 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If you've not been to the Big Spring, it is absolutely worth the 3 hour round trip from St. Ignace. You'll need a rec pass.  I have it on my bucket list to visit in winter.

https://upper-michigan.com/kitchitikipi-big-spring/

Nice, but if I'm driving across the UP, I tour the waterfalls on the south shore of Superior, then go to Kitchitilipi

37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Nice, but if I'm driving across the UP, I tour the waterfalls on the south shore of Superior, then go to Kitchitilipi

Absolutely! I think a lot of people know about the upper and lower falls but haven't been to the big spring.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:09 AM, John_Brian_K said:

Yeah I kept the kids there so they could eat and I could finish my food.  I was hungry.  My wife was either going to beat the lady up or not eat anyway because she was grossed out by the raw bacon so she went across the street to get the ferry tickets and find somewhere to grab a quick bite.

Such a bizarre experience.

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before but it still cracks me up.  The hours of a local pizza place here in BC.  It gets better though.  They shut down 6 months of the year while they are in Florida.

Hours: 

Tuesday 4–8PM

Wednesday 4–8PM

Thursday 4–8PM

Friday 4–8PM

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed

Monday 4–8PM

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I have mentioned this before but it still cracks me up.  The hours of a local pizza place here in BC.  It gets better though.  They shut down 6 months of the year while they are in Florida.

Hours: 

Tuesday 4–8PM

Wednesday 4–8PM

Thursday 4–8PM

Friday 4–8PM

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed

Monday 4–8PM

There was a takeout place here a few years ago that was open from like 11-4 only on weekdays. Then they got bought by another small chain and became open during normal hours. I asked what the deal with the weird hours was, and they said the old owner made all their money catering for the university every day at various events and meetings. They had the storefront open while they were working, just because it was easy enough to make something. 

On 8/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Perfect. Baby you can't taste racism. 

A restuarant here in Dearborn by the Jolly Pumpkin folks is reopening.... The Longboard.  I was worried about them because they opened late last year and it's a decent sized place.   I wish them well.  I went there once and it wasn't my thing but I know some others that liked it. Just wasn't my style.  When I fall back to a burger with only cheese and my kids get pizza...?  But I assume they did their research.

It sucks because a local development here by Ford had a number of new places open up, nice variety, and then this hit.  I hope they can survive. We're doing what we can.  The city closed off a side street and cleared all the necessary permits to allow outdoor dining.  Any place that has available space outside can get a permit immediately to accommodate their customers.

A few year ago a local bar in the downtown area was the victim of a lot of the shadiness we see in Dearborn with people thinking they can just do whatever they want with their property without asking the city or checking things out.   A guy took it upon himself to demolish his building and damaged the bar's wall in the process forcing them to close for almost a year.  This place is an institution.  Family owned.  A few bars nearby held fundraisers for them, hired their staff, etc. and they opened back up.  Now with the empty land there, that's city owned now, they were allowed to put in a bunch of picnic tables, rope it off, and serve their customers.  Nice circle for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

A restuarant here in Dearborn by the Jolly Pumpkin folks is reopening.... The Longboard.  I was worried about them because they opened late last year and it's a decent sized place.   I wish them well.  I went there once and it wasn't my thing but I know some others that liked it. Just wasn't my style.  When I fall back to a burger with only cheese and my kids get pizza...?  But I assume they did their research.

It sucks because a local development here by Ford had a number of new places open up, nice variety, and then this hit.  I hope they can survive. We're doing what we can.  The city closed off a side street and cleared all the necessary permits to allow outdoor dining.  Any place that has available space outside can get a permit immediately to accommodate their customers.

A few year ago a local bar in the downtown area was the victim of a lot of the shadiness we see in Dearborn with people thinking they can just do whatever they want with their property without asking the city or checking things out.   A guy took it upon himself to demolish his building and damaged the bar's wall in the process forcing them to close for almost a year.  This place is an institution.  Family owned.  A few bars nearby held fundraisers for them, hired their staff, etc. and they opened back up.  Now with the empty land there, that's city owned now, they were allowed to put in a bunch of picnic tables, rope it off, and serve their customers.  Nice circle for them.

Our softball team is sponsored by them, we used to go every Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday, maybe Thursday) I remember driving by all the time and seeing the supports on the outside.  A dumpy local watering hole with good burgers and friendly staff.

49 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Our softball team is sponsored by them, we used to go every Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday, maybe Thursday) I remember driving by all the time and seeing the supports on the outside.  A dumpy local watering hole with good burgers and friendly staff.

Yes it is.  It was one of my mainstays when I turned 21.  Would go for lunch regularly the last few years.  Great burgers.

5 hours ago, Oblong said:

The OG, Olive Garden. Not that it's good, but Italian is my favorite. And the others are meh as well.