MotorCityOrangeman

MOTOR CITY ORANGEMEN, YOUR 2002 MFFL REGULAR SEASON AND PLAYOFF CHAMPIONS!

After Sunday's action...

MotorCityOrangemen 58

Dschobe's Crushers 35

Dschobe is done with players while the MCO's have a number of players yet to play tonight, including QB Jeff Garcia, WR Isaac Bruce, DB Dre Bly. This puppy's over folks.

So the MCO's end the season with a 13-3-1 record and a 10-game winning streak.

MCO's WIN! MCO's WIN! THEEEEEE MCO's WIN!

I got lucky to be in the position to play for the championship. Thank goodness for parity in the NFL. If only one more week....

Congrats MCO.

I am just guessing, MCO...

but did the big kids at school want to beat you up a lot?

;)

I had a freind in high school just like you. He was always pissing somebody off.

Originally posted by MotorCityOrangeman

James Mungro, with 8 TD's, currently has 4 more than ANY Detroit Lion.

Minor nitpick MCO... Schroeder has 5 TDs.

James Mungro, with 8 TD's, currently has 3 more than ANY Detroit Lion. (Special thanks to RedRamage)

Which says more about the efficiency of the offense he plays in than his actual performance.

Good point Zach, as Mungro has only one game started this year and only managed 336 yards rushing in 97 attempts for a 3.5 yard per carry avg. I would venture almost any other backup running back would have done as well in their sysytem. I don't think it's a good idea to rate a running back on the amount of touchdowns he scores alone.

Cedar... that reminds me of that one guy we had... who was it? Touchdown Tony? Wait a minute...

Okay, quick stop at football-reference.com and I found him. Tommy Vardel. Played for the Lions in '97 and '98. In '97 he 32 attempts for a 3.8 average. He scored 6 touchdowns. In '98 he got even fewer attempts... only 18 for a 2.1 average and yet he still managed 6 TDs.

The Lions would use him in short yardage situations to pound out the ball...situations where it didn't make sense to expose Sanders to the pounding a RB would receive to get that one or two yard gain. Because many of those short yardage situations were at the goal line, Vardel achieved a good number of TDs.

However, compare his stats to Ron Rivers numbers in '97: 29 attempts for a 5.7 average. 1 TD. Or River's '98 stats: 19 attempts for a 5.4 average. 1 TD. Who was the more effective runner? Rivers or Vardel?

The Lions weren't able to get 1-yard in goal line or short-yardage situations on the ground. Mungro put up great numbers for an undrafted rookie free agent, but he was running on the same team with Edgerrin James, I wouldn't expect him to be a starter. I'd rather have Mungro in the backfield than Cason, Warren, or Trejo though.