OldTimey

Tigers Fire Entire AA Staff

It has been mentioned before Brookens wants to stay in Oneonta because of his family. I would love him to be here in WM.

As for Walbeck and his reputation with his peers in the league, he was voted Manager of the Year twice by his peers. Listening to commentary by other teams' radio guys and interviews of the other managers, there seems to be a healthy respect for Walbeck and his abilities. If someone's heaping that kind of respect on Wally for the job he's done in WM, chances are they think he can handle development at the higher level.

Are you saying my house which is within walking distance to the park has no residential vitality? Tell my tax man and my appraiser.

Look to the future in this area. Comstock Park is a growing community. New schools, new road projects, new subdivisions, new tax growth, new life. Has CP been know in the past as a blue collar industrial area, sure. With the increasing "urban" sprawl, CP is actually turning some heads on people who don't wish to drive the 15 miles plus to get to Rockford, Cedar Springs, Caledonia, Middleville, Ada, Lowell, Coopersville, etc. CP got missed in the first sprawl and now it's catching up.

We have a new hotel this year across the street from the park. New strip mall just east with a Chinese place. Mill Creek tavern is a fun yuppie hangout which is next to Vitali's. You have the White Pine Trail for biking or walking. There is more growth than you would think along the West River Drive area. Is it downtown, nope, but that's just fine with me.

I also like Olds park in Lansing. The city does a good job with that place. Parking in GR is not bad at all. Many lots, and not all of them are $10. Downtown GR will never get the stadium. It's too good where it is!

Again, I don't think that a strip mall and a hotel exudes a lot of local character, but that's just me. I guess a downtown stadium just isn't your cup of tea. That's fine. I know I'd love to have a minor league stadium just minutes from my home too.

Still, I'm sure the Lugnuts aren't clamoring to move to Holt. Likewise, I'm glad that the Tigers didn't build Comerica in Auburn Hills.

Rojas is the guy the Tigers need to keep in their organization, if anybody should be promoted to Erie it is him. The guy is one of the next up and coming young coaching geniuses.

nothing wrong with the field where it is now, except it is privately funded.

What's wrong with the field being privately owned/operated/funded? Out of anything I say that's a good thing- I don't think 5/3 would have had those additions made to it last year if it wasn't privately funded.

Go to the Lugnut stadium & see how public funded ballparks run & look,..then compare to our 5/3.....

In terms of the actual stadium, Oldsmobile Park is great, I think it compares very favorably to 5/3. In terms of some of the "other" things, namely food, 5/3 wins by a large margin.

What as to Rojas? Does he, in your opinion, have the "necessities" for AA?

Rojas has a fabulous blend of managerial skills. Historically, he's been a very good motivator, he keeps control of his clubhouse but isn't considered overly strict, he has a fairly good sense of in game managerial strategies (and this area of former weakness continues to improve every year), he has demonstrated the ability to develop broad based skills, while also demonstrating that he can pick up on small nuances that need to be corrected to maintain success. Overall, he's got the complete package to be a successful manager at any level of baseball. He needs to gain more game experience, but he's getting closer every year.

Rojas is the guy the Tigers need to keep in their organization, if anybody should be promoted to Erie it is him. The guy is one of the next up and coming young coaching geniuses.

Agreed. They need to keep Rojas happy if anyone.

Who would be the likely replacement for Wallbeck in GR? Would the Tiger's go outside of the organization and find new coaching tallent?

Who knows? What former player for the Tigers (preferably a catcher), is looking to get into coaching. What's Matt Nokes doing these days?

We'll take Tommy Brookens...was a very nice fit the 5 weeks or so he was @ WM this spring....Let Ezell & Staff work their magic! Will be interesting....Hopefully Wally will land close to California!

Who knows? What former player for the Tigers (preferably a catcher), is looking to get into coaching. What's Matt Nokes doing these days?

I think that you're not far off - it was a very nice thing that the Tigers did for Walbeck, who was arguably the worst player on that dreadful 2003 team, by letting him retire as a player and move directly to a minor league managing post without any previous experience. So far I'd say that Walbeck owes the Tigers more than they owe him, so count me among those who think he's a fool for making comments about not returning to GR. A member of the press took his words out of context? He made a rookie mistake if he thought that that wouldn't happen.

So maybe there is another veteran player out there in the organization who will put up his hand. Kurt Airoso? I wouldn't know if he had any managerial aspirations or potential.

We'll take Tommy Brookens...was a very nice fit the 5 weeks or so he was @ WM this spring....Let Ezell & Staff work their magic! Will be interesting....Hopefully Wally will land close to California!

If Wally lands close to California he will be out of the organization.... That wouldn't be a terrible loss but it would create a lot of turnover in the organization.

Regardless it is time to push Rojas up the line.

One might wonder if they will move the AA affiliate to Grand Rapids. There have mumblings about same.

They have also looked into Taylor and dearborn about possible locations.