AlaskanTigersFan

Tigers could go for Craig Counsell?

Via cold Pizza... they said he is on rehab right now with his ribs. But they mentioned, that DD an Leyland brought him in in 97 to win the WS. They also said he could bat Second, only problem being is he'll have to clear waivers in both leages, (that could be the catch).... Thoughts on this one?

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=ari&playerID=112736 - his stats..

He's having an in jury prone year:

Missed part of spring training with a shoulder injury

Missed 4 games in April with a hamstring injury

Missed 2 or 3 games in June with a concussion

and then the broken rib on a swing in July out 6 weeks

I like the guy, but this doesn't seem like a good year for him

Very doubtful that Tigers can get anyone that has to go through waivers. There are teams ahead of them that would put in a claim just to keep the player away from Detroit.

Very doubtful that Tigers can get anyone that has to go through waivers. There are teams ahead of them that would put in a claim just to keep the player away from Detroit.

Many 'lesser' players have already cleared waivers and can be traded to anyone.

A healthy Counsell has value, but I think Infante will fill in just fine. Counsell would certainly be a better option than Santiago for the bench.

i don't see why we can't just give Infante 20+ games to see what he can do on a regular basis. if he isn't cutting it, at that time we'll have a better idea when Polanco might be ready to come back. and if his rehab isn't progressing nicely, THEN we can go out and get another middle infielder. guys who can play a decent 2b and swing the bat a little are not going to be difficult to acquire. there's probably about 10 of them out there that will likely become available over the next few weeks, and probably most of them have already cleared waivers. but i happen to think that Infante is possibly about as good as anyone we could likely pick-up in a trade.

The problem with that ^ is that I don't think 20 games with a team is enough time to qualify for post season rosters. I could be wrong though. Anyone?

i don't see why we can't just give Infante 20+ games to see what he can do on a regular basis. if he isn't cutting it, at that time we'll have a better idea when Polanco might be ready to come back. and if his rehab isn't progressing nicely, THEN we can go out and get another middle infielder.

If a player isn't on our 40 man roster by August 31 (and obviously someone who is coming from outside the organization would not be on the roster), he can't be used for the playoffs. So the decision has to be made in the next 2 weeks (and the longer you wait, the harder it may get to make a deal). Plus, we've had Infante on the team for the last 3 years. We ought to have a decent idea of "what he can do on a regular basis" by now. If we don't, then the next 10 games aren't really going to help with that.

White Sox won't let him clear waivers. They will claim any 2B now.

If the WSox (or anyone) made a claim on Counsell and the Marlins let him go, the Sox would have to dump someone from their 40 man roster ??

Here's a good article I found browsing the internet on MLB waiver trades. It's actually only a few days old as of this post.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/082006/08162006/214163

Also, remember it's not as simple as "The Tigers might want a second baseman, so we'll claim any and all that are placed on waivers." The claiming team might get "stuck" with that player. And if for example, the Tigers potentially have interest in say 4 or 5 different players, then it just gets that much harder to block them, because you can't just go ahead and claim them all.

If the WSox (or anyone) made a claim on Counsell and the Marlins let him go, the Sox would have to dump someone from their 40 man roster ??

Exactly right, and they'd have to cut Ozuna or Cintron, who we'd promptly grab. I suspect they'd be pretty reluctant to put in a claim on a player they didn't really want, especially since they can make the playoffs without passing us.