Johnny Mac

"I've never seen the Tigers in the playoffs" thread

Yeah 2000 was exciting for me too. Strictly personal reasons though. I had season tickets in 1998 and 1999 but I was still working part time, going to school part time, saving for wedding, etc. so money was tight. I didn't drink beer at a game until the final weekend of 1999 season. (I'm not paying $4 for a beer!) But in 2000 I was working full time, my wife was. We didn't have kids yet. That was my last season without a kid. Lots of days we'd go down there early, go to the game, party after.... sleep in the next day. No worries about finding a sitter. Plus the excitement of the new stadium.

I remember watching ESPN that season, and Boomer was talking about, "Tigers fans be excited," and finally feeling like I could have real pride in my team. This must have aired around the time they were pushing .500.

Since the Tigers last won the division title 24 years ago:

- the Red Wings have won 16 division titles

- the Pistons have won 9 division titles

- the Lions have won 2 division titles

I can't think of 1 of those 27 division titles that are as a meaningful to me as a Tigers' 162-game division title.

Since the Tigers last won the division title 24 years ago:

- the Red Wings have won 16 division titles

- the Pistons have won 9 division titles

- the Lions have won 2 division titles

I can't think of 1 of those 27 division titles that are as a meaningful to me as a Tigers' 162-game division title.

Wings in '87-'88. (same year, does that count?) First Division Championship in 50 years, made it to the final 4 in the playoffs and lost to the Gretzky Juggernaut Oilers. Amazing season all the way around.

Edited by Shinma

Wings in '87-'88. (same year, does that count?) First Division Championship in 50 years, made it to the final 4 in the playoffs and lost to the Gretzky Juggernaut Oilers. Amazing season all the way around.

Right, the Wings came back from 3-1 down in the Norris finals at the end of my frosh year at U of Toronto to win Game 7 the one with Yzerman's breakaway roofer, then a few months later the Tigers came from 3.5 games down in the final week at the beginning of my sophomore year at U. of Toronto. Perfect time, perfect place.

*P.S. It felt like 50 years to all of us fans in the Dead Wings era, but the Wings did finish 1st in the regular season a number of times in the '50s and '60s including as recently as 1965.

HNIC - 1987 Norris Division Final - Game 7 - Intro - YouTube

WDIV - Sports Final Edition - April 1987 - Part 1 - YouTube

1987 Norris Division Final - Game 7 - post-game - PASS - PT1 - YouTube

Edited by lordstanley

Right, the Wings came back from 3-1 down in the Norris finals at the end of my frosh year at U of Toronto to win Game 7 the one with Yzerman's breakaway roofer, then a few months later the Tigers came from 3.5 games down in the final week at the beginning of my sophomore year at U. of Toronto. Perfect time, perfect place.

*P.S. It felt like 50 years to all of us fans in the Dead Wings era, but the Wings did finish 1st in the regular season a number of times in the '50s and '60s including as recently as 1965.

HNIC - 1987 Norris Division Final - Game 7 - Intro - YouTube

WDIV - Sports Final Edition - April 1987 - Part 1 - YouTube

1987 Norris Division Final - Game 7 - post-game - PASS - PT1 - YouTube

The 1987 come from behind down 3-1 against Toronto was probably a top 5 Wings moment for me. Unfortunately it was negated by this: