Sign in to follow this  
DaBishop

? for the more knowledgable about our minors

I don't know if this belongs here or in the minor league area but I don't really go there so I'll post it here.

How does Humberto Sanchez compare to Ledezma prior to his MLB debut. Were they similar in terms of potential? Anything else would be helpful as well. Just trying to get an idea.

I have to ask... is the answer going to be used to determine whether or not Humberto will flop like Ledezma? I think they had similar upsides. I was pretty excited about Ledezma. His problems seem to be mental, but I don't really know. He also had some arm troubles last year. I wouldn't judge Humberto based on what happened to Ledezma, if that's where this is going. 2 different pitchers.

I have to ask... is the answer going to be used to determine whether or not Humberto will flop like Ledezma? I think they had similar upsides. I was pretty excited about Ledezma. His problems seem to be mental, but I don't really know. He also had some arm troubles last year. I wouldn't judge Humberto based on what happened to Ledezma, if that's where this is going. 2 different pitchers.

Why not? A Ledezma-esque future is more likely for Sanchez than is a Verlander/Zumaya-esque future. That's just the way these things go.

I'm not judging anything, I'm just wondering if Wil had as much going for him. I think I remember there be a ton of hype on Wil but don't know if that was more because we had next to nothing besides him in our system at the time.

To be honest, I'm more asking for the sake of when we talk about trading Sanchez for one of these guys like Abreu and Soriano. It sounds like Sanchez is on the fast track like Verlander and Zumaya were and I know DD was pretty adamant about not trading Verlander even for a proven young ace like Beckett which speaks volumes. It particularly says a lot now, considering he does seem to be willing to move Sanchez for a guy like Soriano who doesn't quite project to remain here after the season(if we get him). I also understand that that doesn't necessarily mean anything because the situation has changed in the last year. Robertson, Maroth, Verlander, Minor, Miller, Bonderman, and Zumaya have all been outstanding this year and instead of being a weakness this year, pitching is an area of strength and that's where you deal from.

Anyway, I don't know the answer, and wanted to know. By no means am I projecting Sanchez to flop.

Why not? A Ledezma-esque future is more likely for Sanchez than is a Verlander/Zumaya-esque future. That's just the way these things go.

Because Sanchez' future will not be impacted by anything that has happened to Ledezma. I was just asking a question. There are better way of predicting what a prospect will do than by comparing them to what a pitcher did with a similar celing. That's all I was getting at.

I'm not judging anything, I'm just wondering if Wil had as much going for him. I think I remember there be a ton of hype on Wil but don't know if that was more because we had next to nothing besides him in our system at the time. .

That probably had a lot to do with it, though I think he led the Eastern League in ERA and strikeouts at the time. I don't remember where BA ranked him though. I think Sanchez is probably ranked higher, probably closer to where Zumaya was ranked last year. I don't remember for sure though.

Because Sanchez' future will not be impacted by anything that has happened to Ledezma. I was just asking a question. There are better way of predicting what a prospect will do than by comparing them to what a pitcher did with a similar celing. That's all I was getting at.

I agree with both you and Ron. There is a good chance that Sanchez will fail but if he does it will probably be for a different set of reasons than why Ledezma failed.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I think he has an equal chance of succeeding or failing as any other pitching prospect of his calibre, regardless of what happened to Ledezma.

While we're on the subject of Ledezma, if/when Verlander gets shut down, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ledezma get a few starts. His innings are low, unlike most of our other young pitchers. I think I'd rather give him a couple starts than Colon.