mckibbka

Tiger fans are classless

Personally, I think home fans should treat visiting fans as rudely as possible. One of the things I hated about going to Lions games were all the fans that showed up from the opposing team. Especially Green Bay. Make their experience as crappy as possible, be rude and obscene, and chase them away. It's the home town fan's ball park, don't expect to come in and be able to cheer for the visiting team and get smiles and hugs.

As a self-exiled Detroit fan (Pistons, Red Wings & esp. Tigers), I disagree whole-heartedly with this posters comments. Why do we want to stoop to the level of New Jersey, New York or Chicago fans? I don't mind fans of another team coming into my teams' house, as long as they behave and act respectfully. I just want to be able to watch my team in their stadium in peace and not be threatened with violence (as I have been in Yankee Stadium, Philly, Meadowlands, etc.), since I can rarely get back to Detroit to see my teams. I try to attend as many games as possible up and down the East Coast, when my teams are here. I just want to be able to safely root for them and watch a good game (hopefully). I commend Mets Fans, Boston Fans, Orlando fans and even Baltimore fans, as I've been able to attend games in those venues peacefully (AND enjoy myself)!

Rick

P.S. The worst fans that used to visit Comerica were the Indians fans back in 2000-01-02. Thank goodness they have lost interest in that team and fallen off the bandwagon in droves, as they used to be THE most obnoxious and annoying people there. Of course, this was before Sux fans started bothering to make the trip.

Thick skin and not being a dickhead is the key. If you're a dickhead then it gets much worse. If you're cool about it, it becomes playful.

I've found this to be true. I remember going to a sports bar with my buddy that showed every NFL game each weekend when I was stationed in Sacramento. He would find the Bills game while I watched the Lions game. Once when Detroit played Chicago I was alone in a sea of rowdy Bears fans and took a major hazing, as the Lions were getting pummled. I laughed and gave back whatever I could, and by the end of the 3rd quarter they were buying me all my beer.

My brother father and myself felt very welcome in Kansas City, wearing our tiger apparel.

Have a friend who is a white sox fan (i know..something is wrong with me) and attended the game last night wearing a Konerko jersey. He told me when he got home that he "can honestly say he's disappointed in Tiger fans as a whole". Turns out, he had a few people saying Chicago sucks and "konerko sucks" and he didn't feel very welcome. I'm thinking to myself--I bet that never happens at US Cellular does it? Later I posed that question to him. He just said he didn't feel welcome in detroit. DUH! White Sox fans are not welcome in Detroit during a division race.

Sounds like somebody's skin is thinner than the Royals' playoff hopes.

The worst fans that used to visit Comerica were the Indians fans back in 2000-01-02. Thank goodness they have lost interest in that team and fallen off the bandwagon in droves, as they used to be THE most obnoxious and annoying people there. Of course, this was before Sux fans started bothering to make the trip.

+1

Sounds like someone needs a reason to give for disliking the Tigers and propping up his own team. I hate to say, I was embarrassed to be sitting at a Braves game last year and there were a couple of morons jeering the Bravos. I turned around and...gasp! one was wearing a Tigers hat...but I felt better when I saw a guy next to him wearing a cheesehead (the Braves were playing the Brewers). Figured it was just a classless Packers fan who found the hat on sale...and I paid it no mind.

I'm sorry, but anyone wearing anything Chicago in Detroit, expecting not to hear it from the Home crowd, and is disapointed when it happens, should give their head a shake. Detroit-Chicago is one of the biggest rivarlies in North American sports. Plus with the Tigs and W.Sox going head to head, what did he expect?

IF I attended a Detroit-Chicago game in Chicago, I would probably only wear a Red Wings jersey at the United Center for my own personal safety. I'd pass on wearing a Pistons, Tigers, or Lions jersey, just so I wouldn't come home bruised and covered in beer and mustard.

I'm sorry, but anyone wearing anything Chicago in Detroit, expecting not to hear it from the Home crowd, and is disapointed when it happens, should give their head a shake. Detroit-Chicago is one of the biggest rivarlies in North American sports. Plus with the Tigs and W.Sox going head to head, what did he expect?

IF I attended a Detroit-Chicago game in Chicago, I would probably only wear a Red Wings jersey at the United Center for my own personal safety. I'd pass on wearing a Pistons, Tigers, or Lions jersey, just so I wouldn't come home bruised and covered in beer and mustard.

You're not safe even in a Wings jersey.

You're not safe even in a Wings jersey.

Usually there's lots of Wings fans around and there's strength in numbers. I've seen the Wings twice in Buffalo, and there was a few thousand Red Wings jerseys.

With somewhat of a rebuilding year though, the numbers may go down.

I can't complain about people supporting other teams at Tiger games. I wore a Red Sox hat to a game the year they won the World Series, and I was standing down the third base line during batting practice. Pedro Martinez comes walking down to pick up a baseball. All these Tiger fans are screaming for it, and he glances to me, the only one with a Sox hat on. He threw it to me. I was happy. I try not to be a jerk to other teams fans.

*looks at join date*

During the World Series year? You don't say?

My experiences:

As a Tiger fan in Toronto: Received exactly what I expected. Razzing that I deserved for coming up into Toronto with a Tiger jersey on.

As a Tiger fan at Comiskey: Feared for my life as the crowd around me and my brother chanted "F*** 8 Mile!", "F*** Detroit", and made occassional threats of violence. I'm not generally fearful of people but this was a very scary day.

As a Tiger fan at Wrigley: So many Tiger fans that Cubs fans didn't have a chance to act up. Got some sarcastic remarks but when your team sucks AND loses, you can't be too sarcastic.

As a Tiger fan in Pittsburgh: Fans were generally good natured and I got the razzing that I expected and deserved for coming up into Pittsburgh with a (1972) Tiger jersey on.

My Sox fan friend went to the final game of the series and said the Tigers fans in her section were rude. Therefore all Tigers fans are asses. Sweeping generalizations, yay.

Usually there's lots of Wings fans around and there's strength in numbers. I've seen the Wings twice in Buffalo, and there was a few thousand Red Wings jerseys.

With somewhat of a rebuilding year though, the numbers may go down.

theres usually some radio station that touts bus trips to chicago here in GR whenever the wings go play there. That might be why there are many wings fans at United Center.

It is wrong to generalize against any teams fans. It doesn't matter if it's Tigers or White Sox fans, you shouldn't say that "all White Sox fans are jerks" or "all Tigers fans suck" because of a few bad apples.

No one should be heckled in an opposing team's ballpark especially if there is women and/or children around. That goes for US Cellular Field, Comerica Park, or any other stadium in any sport for that matter.

I understand that it is common to heckle opposing team's fans and this is what happens but that doesn't make it right. It doesn't matter who you're a fan of or what stadium you're in. White Sox fans are just as wrong as Tiger's fans for such rude, boorish behavior when they heckle an opposing teams fans.

What makes it especially wrong is if you're a displaced fan living in another city and you just want to go to the nearest major league ballpark to see your team play. Or if you're one of those fans who wants to travel to visit every ballpark in the country and you get nothing but heckeled in the process.

This kind of behavior is wrong no matter who it comes from. Let me be the first one to offer a big apology to those Tigers fans who have been mistreated/heckled at US Cellular Field.

I'm Truly sorry this happens to you as Tigers fans and just know it doesn't reflect White Sox fans as a whole. There is no excuse for it. PERIOD.

theres usually some radio station that touts bus trips to chicago here in GR whenever the wings go play there. That might be why there are many wings fans at United Center.

I'm a Blackhawks fan but, the reason there's so many Wings fans at the United Center is because of the amount of good seats available.

The fans in Chicago are not to happy with the Hawks lately because quite frankly they suck and so does their ownership.

Fans have shown their displeasure by not showing up for Hawks games.

I'm Truly sorry this happens to you as Tigers fans and just know it doesn't reflect White Sox fans as a whole. There is no excuse for it. PERIOD.

Thank you for the sentiment but I think most of us expect some good natured ribbing. It comes with the territory. It can cross the lines and that's when it's uncomfortable. As I said before, I almost had to fight my way out of New Comiskey a few years ago.

That said, I had some nipple pierced frat boy get in my face at Wrigley a few years ago too. If it boiled down to it I would have ripped the nipple rings out.

That said, I had some nipple pierced frat boy get in my face at Wrigley a few years ago too. If it boiled down to it I would have ripped the nipple rings out.

haha just like Chris Farley did in that scene in Airheads right? hehe

I think the Chi Sox fans are the biggest low lives in baseball. They are plastered by the top of the 2nd and they are foul mouthed and rude. I cringe every time I am near a Chi Sox fan and their sweaty, grimey personas really get to me.

Yeah I went to the Detroit White Sox game and I mean i'm a huge tigers fan but there were so many Drunk fans I had amazing seats and I couldn't even enjoy them because people in front of me just couldn't enjoy the game they had to make jokes and make fun of chisoxs third base coach the whole time I was just trying to have a good time but they were yelling the whole time. It was really annoying.