Ron Burgandy

I Want Abreu

I agree about our pitching/defense wholeheartedly.

Maybe you're correct about Stairs. However, Monroe has actually been similar/somewhat better against RHP than Stairs this season with exception to his OBP. The only way a bat like Stairs would help is if it was coming off the bench. In my mind, we need an every day player too at DH/LF.

The offense doesn't stack up but the pitching/defense does.

I think that the addition of a bat like Stairs would do more to help than you think.

I don't think Stairs would help very much. Put it this way if they ever got into the playoffs and the bottom of the lineup Monroe, Shelton, Inge were all still struggling you will see teams pitch around Ordonez and Guillen because of those 3. Stairs doesn't scare anybody either in my opinion. If they got an Abreu or Huff atleast pitchers would have to respect those two.

Yeah Huff would be better than Stairs. However I think Stairs would be an upgrade to the bench. Which is something they need as well.

If they are going to make moves I wouldn't make a move for a player like Stairs the only one.

Here's Leyland's full quote from Gage's blog:

http://info.detnews.com/tigersblog/index.cfm

JIM LEYLAND about Bobby Abreu: "I want to go on the record, so all of you get your pens and pencils out - so you hear this one time. We are not getting Bobby Abreu, nor are we pursuing him. “Yes, trade rumors can be a distraction. It’s your job to nose around and try to figure out what we’re looking for. But there’s no reality to us getting Bobby Abreu. That’s not reality.”

I was browsing the Phillies board at mlb.com and someone there said si.com has this proposal:

Monroe, Miner, and Zumaya for Abreu.

Went to si and found nothing there that substaniates that rumor, though. Seems like everyone in every other city wants the Tigers to trade Zumaya.

I don't see us trading Miner right now either. He's doing pretty good right now. If Maroth was closer to returning, they might do that.

How about Monroe, Tata, and Ledezma?

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14903173.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Posted on Mon, Jun. 26, 2006

Gillick says Phils aren't interested in dealing Abreu to Tigers

By MARCUS HAYES

hayesm@phillynews.com

BOSTON - The Detroit Tigers appear to have serious interest in acquiring Phillies rightfielder Bobby Abreu.

They have not talked deal specifics, but Phillies general manager Pat Gillick acknowledged that the scouting circles have been abuzz with the Tigers' rabid interest in lefthanded hitting.

No thanks, Gillick said.

"I know they're looking for lefthanded hitters, but we're not getting rid of hitting right now," Gillick said.

Abreu is hitting .290 with eight homers, 51 RBI and 14 stolen bases. Since becoming a full-time starter for the Phillies in 1998, Abreu, 32, has hit .305 and has averaged nearly 24 homers, 100 RBI and 30 steals a season.

The Tigers have good, young pitching, and they might be willing to give up a righthanded-hitting outfielder. They also seem willing to assume much, if not all, of Abreu's salary. He is the highest-paid Phillie: $13 million this season and $15 million next season. There is a club option for $16 million for 2008 with a $2 million buyout.

Abreu also holds a full no-trade clause, which he did not seem eager to waive to land in Detroit, even if the deal included the Tigers picking up the $16 million option.

"I'd have to think about all of that," Abreu said.

We'll see what happens as July rears its head.

I don't like the thought of giving up Sanchez. I don't trust Miner to continue performing well all year and with pitchers like Verlander likely hitting a wall late in the season, we may need a 6th starter as well. Bottom line is I think we are going to need him in the rotation this year in Detroit.

If you can get Abreu for Tata/Ledezma, Monroe/Infante, and Miner, you have to make that deal. However, Philly will want more, and you cannot afford to break up the nucleus of this team just to get him.

In my mind, Maybin and Sanchez are off-limits. If the Tigers can't get a player like Abreu for a deal like the one I mentioned above, they should do three things: 1) Trade for Huff unless the D-Rays try to rip us off 2) Trade for Bob Howry 3) Call up Sanchez later in the year because he really help as a potentially dominating starter or reliever during a playoff push.

I live in Southern New Jersey and so am a Philadelphia sports fan. Mostly just a Flyers fan, I wouldn't mind seeing the Phillies do good, but it ain't happening, at least not this year. I've been to plenty of games and I must say that aside from David Bell... Bobby Abreu is the fans biggest target. They yell at him when he's in the outfield and rag on him for pulling up short on fly balls. They all say he's a cancer in the lockeroom and only cares about himself. And on top of that they say he doesn't play with any heart and isn't clutch.

Just a local Philadelphia person's view.

I live in Southern New Jersey and so am a Philadelphia sports fan. Mostly just a Flyers fan, I wouldn't mind seeing the Phillies do good, but it ain't happening, at least not this year. I've been to plenty of games and I must say that aside from David Bell... Bobby Abreu is the fans biggest target. They yell at him when he's in the outfield and rag on him for pulling up short on fly balls. They all say he's a cancer in the lockeroom and only cares about himself. And on top of that they say he doesn't play with any heart and isn't clutch.

Just a local Philadelphia person's view.

All the more reason to acquire him...

Sounds like typical Philly ridiculousness from fans to me.

JIM LEYLAND about Bobby Abreu: "I want to go on the record, so all of you get your pens and pencils out - so you hear this one time. We are not getting Bobby Abreu, nor are we pursuing him. “Yes, trade rumors can be a distraction. It’s your job to nose around and try to figure out what we’re looking for. But there’s no reality to us getting Bobby Abreu. That’s not reality.”

In other words... I don't want my players to worry about trade rumors and I am trying to quell this rumor as fast as possible.

If there was 0 interest and 0 chance Dombrowski would have said so. He wouldn't have said there were fines for mentioning specific players. He would have said that we have no interest in that player at this time. Of course he could be trying to get the team he is dealing with to lower their price.

If you can get Abreu for Tata/Ledezma, Monroe/Infante, and Miner, you have to make that deal. However, Philly will want more, and you cannot afford to break up the nucleus of this team just to get him.

In my mind, Maybin and Sanchez are off-limits. If the Tigers can't get a player like Abreu for a deal like the one I mentioned above, they should do three things: 1) Trade for Huff unless the D-Rays try to rip us off 2) Trade for Bob Howry 3) Call up Sanchez later in the year because he really help as a potentially dominating starter or reliever during a playoff push.

You have to factor in the contract situation of Abreu. Taking on all of his salary might allow the Phillies to accept those prospects.

You have to factor in the contract situation of Abreu. Taking on all of his salary might allow the Phillies to accept those prospects.

I agree. If we are going to take on all his salary I don't see why we would have to give up the moon for him. His salary is a prohibitive factor for a lot of teams who might otherwise try and acquire him and it would create payroll flexibiliity for Philly so they can retool in the offseason. Abreu does seem to fit what Ilitch was talking about in the paper about acquiring a LH hitter and salary not being an issue. His patience would be a big plus in this hacking lineup as well.

I think you can read between the lines. Both Dombrowski & Leyland have said they can't talk about spacific players. Although Leyland did mention him by name. It's been reported the Tigers have had scouts in Philly and are seeking a left handed bat.

Leyland says no. Dombowski pleads the 5th. All sign point to the fact that Abreu is the guy. It's a cat & mouse game at this point.

Knobler's editorializing above is why I don't like him nearly as much as most around here. He tries to act like a voice of reason, but at the end of the day he fell for Leyland's statement hook, line, and sinker. In no way does what Leyland say offer any true indication of our level of interest in Abreu.

Leyland has also spoke glowingly of Thames recently as well, and has said Miner is a MLB calibre pitcher.

Thames would hit 45 homers in that bandbox stadium in Philly.

Knobler's editorializing above is why I don't like him nearly as much as most around here. He tries to act like a voice of reason, but at the end of the day he fell for Leyland's statement hook, line, and sinker. In no way does what Leyland say offer any true indication of our level of interest in Abreu.

I don't like him as much as I used to. Stuff like paraphrasing the comment to say what he wants it to say.

He left out a lot of it out... a telling part of it. Yes Leyland says they are not interested. However he also indicates that trade rumors are a distraction, which tells me that he is just going to shoot down any rumor that comes along to keep his players from reading into it.

Since he is not the GM if the move is made he has deniability without having to lose any credibility because he doesn't make the personell moves.

Jun 26 The Detroit News' Tom Gage reports Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland ruled out the team trying to trade for Philadelphia Phillies OF Bobby Abreu during the team's post-game press conference. "I think they can be," Leyland said, referring to trade rumors being distracting. "But I want to go on the record, so all of you get your pens and pencils out -- so you hear this one time. We are not getting Bobby Abreu, nor are we pursuing him. End of conversation."

Todd Walker would be as useful for far less. Probably get him for Ryan Raburn.

In what way are the production of Todd Walker and Bobby Abreu remotely similar?

I said useful, not better or even as good. Walker would be a part time left handed hitter that would be useful for the limited role the Tigers would use him for.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG

70 239 30 70 11 1 3 32 0 .293 .369 .385

Definitely useful to me.

In what way are the production of Todd Walker and Bobby Abreu remotely similar?

lets take a look:

Bobby Abreu:

Hits: 71

2B: 19

3B: 2

HR: 8

RBI: 52

SB: 15

BA: .290

SLG: .482

OBP: .451

Todd Walker: