Ron Burgandy

I Want Abreu

Abreu would be a nice acquisition, as we need a lefty-bat, but I thought most of us were satisfied with an outfield of Maggs, Granderson and Thames. Should Thames be a 4th outfielder? I think he's too good for that, at least lately.

I think upgrading our offensive production from our corner infield positions should be more of a priority if a suitable lefty is available. I like Abreu, but I'm satisfied with our outfield (as long as Thames is played over Monroe).

Abreu would be a nice acquisition, as we need a lefty-bat, but I thought most of us were satisfied with an outfield of Maggs, Granderson and Thames. Should Thames be a 4th outfielder? I think he's too good for that, at least lately.

I think upgrading our offensive production from our corner infield positions should be more of a priority if a suitable lefty is available. I like Abreu, but I'm satisfied with our outfield (as long as Thames is played over Monroe).

Just move Thames to the DH spot. And he could rotate with Abreu and Ordonez when they need a rest.

When thinking of the finances for the future you also have to consider raises to guys like Granderson, Inge, Bonderman, Robertson, and such and such.

When thinking of the finances for the future you also have to consider raises to guys like Granderson, Inge, Bonderman, Robertson, and such and such.

And guys leaving to retire, or test FA, who are replaceable and/or replaced by upcoming rookies, and such and such.

Like Guillen, Polanco, Dmitri, Maroth, Robertson, etc...

Granderson(L)

Polanco®

Rodriguez®

Abreu(L)

Ordonez®

Guillen(S)

Thames®

Shelton®

Inge®

You could swap Thames and Guillen in the order as well to break up the three rhb's at the bottom of the order.

:knocked:

DD was just on Stoney and Wojo and they asked him about Abreu. He said that he can't talk about players on other teams or he gets major fines, but mentioned wanting a left-handed bat and whatnot. By what he indirectly stated I think it is pretty fair to say the Tigers are definitely interested in him.

I'd love to see Abreu with the Tigers as well. For anybody that thinks that it would take away all the money for the offseason well, heck, I'd be pretty darn happy landing Abreu for this year and next.

Granderson(L)

Polanco®

Rodriguez®

Abreu(L)

Ordonez®

Guillen(S)

Thames®

Shelton®

Inge®

You could swap Thames and Guillen in the order as well to break up the three rhb's at the bottom of the order.

:knocked:

Are you sure you'd have Abreu has the four hitter? Abreu isn't exactly jacking them out of the park a ton with only 8 homers this year.

i'd put him at #3 if it wouldn't ruffle to many feathers...otherwise 4 works. He may not be hitting tons of HR"s but spacious Comerica could get him lots of doubles and triples.

Are you sure you'd have Abreu has the four hitter? Abreu isn't exactly jacking them out of the park a ton with only 8 homers this year.

There is more to power than homeruns... however I think that what should be done in the event of picking up Abreu is placing him at 3 in the lineup instead of Ivan.... That might not happen though and they would probably slide him at 5 with Guillen at 6.

Can the Yankees offer anything better than Minor, Tata and Monroe?

Hughes, Tabata, Duncan, Melky are their major trading chips but Cashman seems pretty set on building the farm system. It should be interesting if Hughes is still in the Yankees system after the deadline.

1) Ilitch said he'll spend the money. The Tigers are ALSO a team that can eat Abeu's contract whole.

2) DY's contract is done after this year, freeing up money. And I thought (for some reason) Vina was still on our books this year, off in the 2006 offseason. We can afford Abreu.

dont forget Troy Percival's contract is also up this year.

Essentially we loost about $14 million off the books next year. and Abreu's contract is $16 million next year? The Tigers can eat that.

There is more to power than homeruns... however I think that what should be done in the event of picking up Abreu is placing him at 3 in the lineup instead of Ivan.... That might not happen though and they would probably slide him at 5 with Guillen at 6.

I'd agree with that. If we got Abreu the first seven batters (Curtis, Placidome, Pudge, Magglio, Abreu, Guillen, Thames) would all be tough outs. We'd also have one decent guy in Inge, and only one real black hole left in the lineup in Big Dread.

Granderson is not arbitration eligible until after the 2008 season, so that's not that big of a deal. Clearly, money wasn't an issue before the season, and with the revenue boost, it's still not an issue.

No way is Abreu a 4 hole hitter. Keep Magg's there and let Bobby hit behind him.

By the way has Abreu ever played 1b? If so maybe he can spell Shelton once and a while.

Granderson is not arbitration eligible until after the 2008 season, so that's not that big of a deal. Clearly, money wasn't an issue before the season, and with the revenue boost, it's still not an issue.

I agree. I don't see much chance a player is let go due to financial considerations. If a player is traded/not re-signed it will be a baseball decision.

Abreu would ideally hit 3rd, but in deference to Pudge I'd probably put him 5th, between Maggs and Carlos.

I would not defer to Rodriguez at all but I don't think Leyland would move him from the 3 spot for anyone. I wouldn't mind seeing Abreu bat second but that's another thing I wouldn't expect to happen.

I would not defer to Rodriguez at all but I don't think Leyland would move him from the 3 spot for anyone. I wouldn't mind seeing Abreu bat second but that's another thing I wouldn't expect to happen.

Second wouldn't be bad. But Leyland is pretty traditional so he won't want to move Polanco who is considered a prototypical 2nd hitter. He also wouldn't want to stack lefties at the top of a lineup.

My guess is that if they acquire Abreu he will be 5th in the lineup. Even though I would put him 3....

We will see what happens... Abreu seems to be the only big name possible at this point.

Really the higher you can get his OBP the better.

I wouldn't be shocked to see either him or Thames at #2. Leyland has toyed with having power in the #2 slot several times this year. If we add another power bat he just might.

No way is Abreu a 4 hole hitter. Keep Magg's there and let Bobby hit behind him.

I wouldn't want a player with a .450 OBP batting so low in the order.