monkeynuts

Granderson MVP?

The Tigers are on top of the new power rankings at Fox Sports. Dayn Perry seems to think that Curtis is a dark-horse MVP candidate. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, while Granderson has been very good, he would have to have an even better second half, raise his average to .300, and the Tigers would have to make the playoffs for him to even be considered. I love Grandy, but I think that Kenny is more of an MVP candidate than Grandy at this point.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

"To paraphrase Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes, “Runs lift us up where we belong!” Yes, prior to Wednesday’s loss to the Brewers, the Tigers had averaged almost eight runs per game over their recent six-game winning streak. Keep your eye on Curtis Granderson as a dark-horse MVP candidate. After so many barren years in Motown, it’s heartening to see this team enrapturing the city."

If Granderson finishes the season with .300/.390/.500, he would definately be an MVP candidate. Clutch hits and great defense don't always factor in to the MVP race, but he will definately have his name mentioned. He has three game winners and the game-tying home run against the Reds so far, plus he has yet to make an error this season. I don't think he'll win since he is up against the ChiSox middle of the order and half the Red Sox/Yankee players, but his name will definately be mentioned.

Grandy doesn't have any claim at MVP. Ordonez is the best hitter on the team. Grandy, as much as I love him, is only 4th in the AL in CF VORP.

I'd have to push Magglio for MVP, if the season ended today. Kenny Rogers is going to draw some Cy Young attention if he keeps pitching this well ....

Grandy doesn't have any claim at MVP. Ordonez is the best hitter on the team. Grandy, as much as I love him, is only 4th in the AL in CF VORP.

well then god damn, I guess he can't win

and as we know, VORP is the first thing MVP voters look at.

We've had a bit of food poisoning, I suspect, in the house today. The wife and kids have been VORPing all day. And I've seen enough VORP to last a lifetime.

It's not food poisoning unless you want to kill yourself. Seriously. Food poisoning is horrible. I had it 10 years ago and it was the worst 3 days of my life. It's the only time I ever wanted to die.

I don't think Granderson has a shot at the MVP. But he might be the best candidate on the team at this point considering his all around contribution. I don't think he really deserves the MVP though.

I don't think Granderson has any shot at the MVP and he really doesn't deserve it either. He is the best all around position player on the Tigers so far and, when you consider defensive contribution, I don't think Ordonez comes very close.

Knowing how much the writers like W/L record, I think Rogers is a strong CY Young candidate right now.

They look at RBI first. Then they look at VORP.

Does Granderson have a shot at Gold Glove this year though? That is the REAL question and one that has a high likelihood of coming to pass.

I doubt he wins MVP, but I would love to see his named mentioned when times comes around at the end of the year.

Don't they award 3 GG for the OF not 1 per OF position? So couldn't both get it?

If that degenerate school boy in Cleveland gets it because of his diving catches I will be very upset. Granderson has NEVER made an ERROR (like since the beginning of time).

Are you serious? Granderson has absolutely no shot at MVP. I have a man-crush on him...but I encourage you to look outside your Tigers bias and take an objective look at things....he's probably the 15th most valuable offensive player in the AL, and that is being generous. Don't let your Tigers fandom turn you into an irrational teenager

Grandy has been awseome and that can't be argued. That being said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I see a news article in the coming weeks that Dayn Perry has entered treatment for a massive oxycontin addiction.

Don't they award 3 GG for the OF not 1 per OF position? So couldn't both get it?

If that degenerate school boy in Cleveland gets it because of his diving catches I will be very upset. Granderson has NEVER made an ERROR (like since the beginning of time).

Great point on the 3 OF thing.... Last season Wells, Suzuki, and Hunter recieved the GG....

It takes a big rep to win the thing so I am not certain Granderson would get it this early in his career but it is possible.

I don't think Granderson is regarded as a great defensive outfielder by the mainstream yet. I doubt he has a chance at a gold glove this year.

Granderson: I have a man-crush on him...

Above is edited to make my point.

I think A LOT of us do. The guy has been absolutely spectacular so far.

I don't think Granderson is regarded as a great defensive outfielder by the mainstream yet. I doubt he has a chance at a gold glove this year.

Well what must we do to spread the word? The gospel must be preached!

Hopefully if the Tigers continue to make this run, many more of their games will be on ESPN or ESPN 2. I think that will help out a lot.

I don't think Granderson has a shot at MVP. Red Sox fans have already gave the MVP and Cy Young to Papelbon.

I don't think Granderson has a shot at MVP. Red Sox fans have already gave the MVP and Cy Young to Papelbon.

If I was handing the MVP out right now I would probably hand it to Dye or Vernon Wells. I do think Papelbon has a shot at it if you look at past MVP winners from RP like Willie Hernandez and Eckersley.

I typically don't like the Cy Young going to relief pitchers unless they have an amazing season. If Papelbon keeps this up it will be an amazing season.