tigersfandm

Joey Gathright to Royals

Gathright was an up and coming player...until he completely stunk this year.

They should have traded him in the last offseason when people thought he was good.

Howell is their second-best pitching prospect (to Hochevar), I don't get why they would trade him for a Nook Logan clone, especially with a very good player in DeJesus planted in centerfield. Nice trade for Tampa Bay, as they are the team whose new management has shown they are taking in the right direction.

Following up a discussiong that we had in a game thread last week, they also sent Seth McClung down to AAA and plan to see if they can convert him to a closer.

The Devil Rays also optioned Seth McClung to Durham, a move designed to see if the right-hander can go from the rotation to a future role as a closer.

McClung went 2-10 with a 6.81 ERA in 15 starts this year. His fastball can reach the upper 90s.

"You look at my stuff, it's good," McClung said. "I know it's good. I just have to learn how to harness it."

There is no timetable for when McClung will rejoin the Devil Rays.

"We just felt it was the right time to make this particular move," Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said. "He was not difficult to persuade. We just thought it was the right thing to do."

Maddon said after the Devil Rays 8-5 win over Arizona that right-hander Tim Corcoran will replace McClung in the rotation and will make his first start Friday or Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-devilrays-royalstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gathright does have a career .390 OBP in the minors coming into this year, as well as a .316 AVG. I'd say he's a little more of an offensive player than Nook is. I dont think this is a bad move for either team. KC could use a player like Gathright who is fun to watch as oppose to throwing out the same old Emil Brown/Reggie Sanders/Matt Stairs calibur players in their outfield who obviously arent helping them too much.

If Gathright gets his act together and is able to hit for average, the Royals could have an OF of DeJesus, Gathright and Costa in the immediate future, which is probably better and more promising than what they currently have.

monkeytargets... Billy Butler is likely going to be in the OF of the immediate future for KC. He is a very good prospect.

Is it looking like they'll call Butler up this year? What I meant in terms of immediate future was right after the all-star break.

Oh I gotcha. I don't know if they will or not. The way they are going they might as well. He is hitting well in AA.

KC needs pitching as badly as anyone. with sanders locked up for another season, dejesus, brown and butler on the way, i don't see how trading for another marginal OF makes sense. particularly when you're dealing your top pitching prospect.

maybe they plan to flip gaithright... or brown or sanders? maybe makes a little sense then, but i'm not so sure about that. i guess it depends what they'd get in return.

Oh I gotcha. I don't know if they will or not. The way they are going they might as well. He is hitting well in AA.

Agreed. They may as well call up Butler, Gordon and Huber all up at some point this year and let them get a taste of the bigs before next year. Although it doesnt sound like the KC clubhouse is that positive of a place right now, so I dont know that I'd risk bringing the futures of the franchise (or some other franchise when the Royals decide to trade them for less than they're worth) up and subject them to the depression. Could have a negative impact on their attitudes and production.