tigerdon

Tentative Oneonta Tigers roster

Among the 27 newcomers on the O-Tigers’ tentative 34-man roster is second-round draft selection Ronnie Bourquin, who played for Ohio State this past spring.

Outfielder Brennan Boesch (third round); infielders Ryan Strieby (fourth) and Scott Sizemore (fifth); catcher Jordan Newton (sixth); right-handed pitchers Jonah Nickerson (seventh), Zach Piccola (ninth) and Lauren Gagnier (10th); and lefty Christopher Cody (ninth) are the other top Detroit draft picks expected to start the 2006 season in Oneonta.

PITCHERS

Player Ht. Wt. B/T DOB Hometown 2005 Club

Christopher Cody 6-1 195 L/L 1/7/84 Brewster Manhattan

Casey Fien 6-2 195 R/R 10/21/83 Santa Rosa, CA Cal Poly San Luis

Jose Fragoso 6-0 170 R/R 11/12/84 Santiago, DR Oneonta

Loren Fraser 6-6 235 R/R 8/20/82 Castro Valley, CA Oneonta

Lauren Gagnier 6-2 215 R/R 2/28/85 Santa Cruz, CA Cal State Fullerton

Jeff Gerbe 6-3 200 R/R 7/4/84 Detroit, MI Michigan State

Brett Jensen 6-7 190 R/R 11/29/83 Eagle Grove, IA Nebraska

Chris Krawczyk 6-1 200 R/R 7/21/83 Independence, MO Missouri State

Guillermo Moscoso 6-1 160 R/R 11/14/83 Maracay, VZ Oneonta

Philip Napolitan 6-1 185 R/R 1/29/82 Page, AZ GCL Tigers

Jonah Nickerson 6-1 200 R/R 3/9/85 Casper, WY Oregon State

Matthew O’Brien 6-3 215 R/R 8/10/82 Royal Palm, FL Oneonta

Zach Piccola 6-4 240 R/L 3/27/85 Nashua, NH South Alabama

Matthew Righter 6-5 195 R/R 8/7/81 Shippenville, PA West Michigan

Tom Thornton 6-6 220 L/L 10/30/83 Boston, MA Notre Dame

Brendan Wise 6-2 190 L/R 1/9/86 Perth, AUS GCL Tigers

CATCHERS

Jeffrey Kunkel 5-11 200 S/R 3/11/83 Olympia Fields, IL Michigan

Cole Miller 5-11 200 R/R 10/20/84 Yreka, CA GCL Tigers

Jordan Newton 5-10 195 R/R 8/29/85 Elizabethtown, KY Western Kentucky

Daniel Sandoval 5-11 170 R/R 5/7/85 Valencia, VZ GCL Tigers

James Skelton 5-11 165 L/R 10/28/85 West Covina, CA GCL Tigers

INFIELDERS

Ronnie Bourquin 6-3 210 L/R 4/29/85 Canton, OH Ohio State

Santo DeLeon 6-2 175 R/R 11/1/83 Azua, DR GCL Tigers

Max Leon 5-11 190 S/R 6/27/84 Sonora, Mexico South Mountain CC

Louis Ott 6-0 185 S/R 2/22/85 Peteluma, CA GCL Tigers

Jorge Patino 5-10 150 R/R 1/25/86 Puerto la Cruz, VZ Erie

Angel Reyes 6-3 180 R/R 1/9/84 Santo Domingo, DR GCL Tigers

Scott Sizemore 6-0 185 R/R 1/4/85 Chesepeake, VA Virginia Commonwealth

Ryan Strieby 6-5 235 R/R 8/9/85 Seattle, WA Kentucky

OUTFIELDERS

Brennan Boesch 6-6 210 L/R 4/29/85 Santa Monica, CA UC Berkeley

Deik Scram 6-0 170 L/R 7/8/85 Arkansas City, KS Oklahoma State

Brandon Timm 6-2 200 R/R 12/4/84 Broken Arrow, OK Oneonta

Joe Tucker 5-11 170 R/R 1/25/84 Canton, OH Kent State

Casper Wells 6-2 210 R/R 11/23/84 Schenectady GCL Tigers

Max Leon was promoted to Erie, taking Tony Giarrtono's spot who was placed on the DL with a wrist injury.

Oneonta was a lot of fun last year, it's an exciting time in the lives of these players as most are tasting professional baseball for the first time. If you're a parent or relative of one of these players and visit Oneonta, it's a wonderful place, very close to Baseball's Hall of Fame. It will be a wonderful trip, but, don't expect much from the baseball facilities other than the awesome background !!!

Among the 27 newcomers on the O-Tigers’ tentative 34-man roster is second-round draft selection Ronnie Bourquin, who played for Ohio State this past spring.

Outfielder Brennan Boesch (third round); infielders Ryan Strieby (fourth) and Scott Sizemore (fifth); catcher Jordan Newton (sixth); right-handed pitchers Jonah Nickerson (seventh), Zach Piccola (ninth) and Lauren Gagnier (10th); and lefty Christopher Cody (ninth) are the other top Detroit draft picks expected to start the 2006 season in Oneonta.

When did they sign?

When did they sign?

I don't think they have (at least Nickerson and Gagnier because they are involved with the college world series starting weekend). The story doesn't make sense.

This is based on the assumption that they get them signed. I imagine those that aren't signed in time will join the team as soon as they do.

5 catchers on one team? Wow.

Speaking of catchers, if my knowledge of GCL Rules is right, Cody Collet is not eligible to play there unless it is a rehab, so he may be done. I could be wrong on that though.

I noticed that Audi was not on the team. So am I correct in assuming is he heading back to the GCL?

5 catchers on one team? Wow.

Speaking of catchers, if my knowledge of GCL Rules is right, Cody Collet is not eligible to play there unless it is a rehab, so he may be done. I could be wrong on that though.

Sandoval and Skelton seemed to get the most playing time when I was out there. Miller and Collett seemed to occupy the opposition slots. Never saw the others behind the plate tho' I'm sure they had playing time.

Hey guys...have I missed a mention of Luis Gil? He seemed to have a good start in his transition to pitching last year in the GCL. Seeing that he isn't on the Oneonta "preliminary" roster must mean he suffered an injury or has been released. Does anyone have information one way or another? Thanks!

Re: Three catchers, I think Miller and Skelton should be worried. Even three catchers is a little too much, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kunkel move up to West Michigan pretty quickly. He's not a great prospect, but he's pretty advanced, particularly with the glove.

Considering that these guys are "projected" O-Tigers, Adrian Casanova's absence is a bit of a head scratcher. If he signs, he's not headed to Oneonta? He's way too old/experienced to bother with the GCL. Maybe he'd head straight to West Michigan. Either way, Joel Roa should probably also be worried.

Some of these pitchers should be too, particularly the older guys. O'Brien and Napolitan? Righter probably isn't too safe either. You've got to figure that in any roster battles the new guys will get the benefit of the doubt because the Tigs have likely seen enough of the guys from '05 to have a handle on their abilities (and they'd likely be higher if they were highly thought of (I should add that I'm talking about the college guys in particular...not someone like Wise.).).

Hey guys...have I missed a mention of Luis Gil? He seemed to have a good start in his transition to pitching last year in the GCL. Seeing that he isn't on the Oneonta "preliminary" roster must mean he suffered an injury or has been released. Does anyone have information one way or another? Thanks!

Luis Gil is on the West Michigan DL. He's been there since the start of the season. No idea what his injury is or when he'll be back.

Luis Gil is on the West Michigan DL. He's been there since the start of the season. No idea what his injury is or when he'll be back.

Thanks for the information Shamrock!

To throw something perplexing into the thread....Cody Collett caught during the All-Star Home Run Derby. Quite an honor for a non roster rookie with tenure.

Yeah, Roger. He must be headed to the GCL, although I thought 4th year players weren't able to. I really doubt that roster is be-all end-all though, especially given that several of those players have yet to sign. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Santo Franco or one of the Latin pitchers start out in Oneonta. We'll see. I'm looking forward to short season ball.

Yeah, Roger. He must be headed to the GCL, although I thought 4th year players weren't able to. I really doubt that roster is be-all end-all though, especially given that several of those players have yet to sign. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Santo Franco or one of the Latin pitchers start out in Oneonta. We'll see. I'm looking forward to short season ball.
I really was wondering as I said hello to Cody...(is this like when the boss asks you out to lunch or go on vacation and find a stranger at your desk when you return?) Statistically, I am ignorant of Collett, yet I see him on the field and seems to be helping the staff as a player coach. He has a decent command of Spanish; yet he has been in the bottom echelon for too long!

Grandma Collett/Nicole; if you are reading this, check the FSL All-Star thread for some pix of Cody. He still has friends in "low' places.

Edited to add: http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39295

Roger

He was a 6th round pick in 2003. Supposedly has a high ceiling for a catcher, but has been swamped with injuries during his career so far. I'm looking forward to him being healthy, because one of the catchers needs to eventually step up and become a prospect.

Attitude gets a 10, but he has to produce. I did not see any of his coachiing staff in attendance and he seems to have a special alliance with Bennie Distefano (GCL coach). Hope your optism prevails. Nice guy and actually helped me get out on the infield during practices.

Re: Three catchers, I think Miller and Skelton should be worried. Even three catchers is a little too much, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kunkel move up to West Michigan pretty quickly. He's not a great prospect, but he's pretty advanced, particularly with the glove.

Considering that these guys are "projected" O-Tigers, Adrian Casanova's absence is a bit of a head scratcher. If he signs, he's not headed to Oneonta? He's way too old/experienced to bother with the GCL. Maybe he'd head straight to West Michigan. Either way, Joel Roa should probably also be worried.

Casanova is extremely polished defensively, but has a long ways to go offensively. I think he could play in any league, struggle offensively, but do extremely well as a backup.

I wonder if that whole season (or was there more than one?) that me missed didn't count against that. It certainly would be nice for him to be healthy and to see what he can do this year.