estrepe1

What prospects have become well.... non prospects

Several players have had bad starts to the season. Several have had bad starts that were continuations of their career.

So which players have made the move from prospect to fodder?

To me the number one on this list is Brent Dlugach. I didn't think much of him coming into the year and now think even less. Basically he doesn't offer much as a prospect.

Dlugach wasn't a prospect in the first place.

The biggest culprits here have been in Erie. Clevlen is dangerously close to falling off the radar. Tony G and Kody Kirkland have, and sorta-prospects like McKinney and Sanchez proved their doubters right. It's been very unfortunate, but the situation in Erie has really set the system back a ways.

Mentioned this in another thread, other than Larish; I'm disappointed with Lakeland's infield.

Added: I thought many felt Sanchez (Danilo) was the hotest catcher in the system...never saw it myself.

Juan Francia-batting .140, 20 hits in 145 AB, not to mention the numerous base running mistakes he has made. Last night he ran through Duffy Dyer's stop sign to get thrown out at home. Last week he made a crucial out with a baserunning mistake to kill a rally. Also last week he watched a pop-up drop in between him and the firstbaseman. Anybody at Lakeland ready to come up???

I'll take this. Even though Giarratano, Kirkland, and Clevlen are disappointing, I don't see one arm in the mix. And personally, if we're still doing okay with arms (Sanchez, Ledezma, others I'm not thinking of), you'll get no complaints from me.

I feel as though it's a lot easier and safer to address positional needs through free agency than it is quality pitching, which I'd rather worry about through our minor leagues. And I feel as though with the addition of Miller, we look to be sound in pitching for a few years.

OUCH!

Give Dlugach a chance. He probably shouldn't have been promoted, he might turn it around. Plus my AAT has a great first name.

Giarratano's been doing a better job getting on base the last couple weeks (I think), though at his age he probably couldn't afford this type of start. He's also been out of Erie's line-up the last couple games.

Juan Francia-batting .140, 20 hits in 145 AB, not to mention the numerous base running mistakes he has made. Last night he ran through Duffy Dyer's stop sign to get thrown out at home. Last week he made a crucial out with a baserunning mistake to kill a rally. Also last week he watched a pop-up drop in between him and the firstbaseman. Anybody at Lakeland ready to come up???

The only players I see being promoted is Jurrjens & Larish....Jurrjens as you may know is already been promoted and maybe Larish after the All Star break.

Don't know if Mejia will be productive in Erie he slumping down here I believe hitting .245 with 15 errors, in opinion not good enough numbers to move up but you never know. Just thought my AAT would have produced better this year then he has.

OUCH!

Give Dlugach a chance. He probably shouldn't have been promoted, he might turn it around. Plus my AAT has a great first name.

The problem here is that the first part of Edman's statement is astoundingly accurate. He's never been a prospect.

The guy ran off a .270/.327/.447 career line in college....playing in a neutral park, in a conference that isn't known for it's baseball prowess outside of Tulane. His draft stock (6th round) was overly predicated on size and fielding ability, with little in the way of offensive production. Heading into this season, he'd been tearing off a career .264/.300/.361 line. It's cold, but he's never been a prospect.

I agree that he probably was never a prospect in the first place. Limited tools and limited production does not typically equal to a prospect. So I was incorrect.

Kirkland is on the border for me. I never thought much of him to begin with and now I just don't think you can survive with that type of BB:K long term.

To stir up a little controversy: One guy I've more or less lost faith in is Mike Hollimon. At his age, if he were going to make a name for himself, he'd need to be ripping the Midwest League a new one. I don't think it's time to give up entirely, but if he finishes where he's at right now I don't really think he's much of a prospect.

Will Rhymes isn't performing as well as he'd need to for his age and level.

I agree on Sanchez and Francia (brutal, brutal, brutal). I don't on Giarratano, whose recent hot streak gave me renewed hope and whose glove gives him a shot at a utility job even if he can't hit well. Clevlen and Kirkland...well, they're on the edge. I have some hope for each of them, but they've both had disappointing seasons.

Oh...Mark Woodyard, for sure.

What "WAS" last year obviously has not matured into what "WILL". So what has failed in the farm system? Lack of retention of seasoned players? Over promotion? With so much talent last year, so little return this year.

Roger

I've been disappointed by Giarratano. On the other hand, his 16 doubles and 5 triples are encouraging.

Erie is where the problems are. Everyone (with the exceptions of Rabelo, Airoso and Maples) have horrible numbers.

David Espinosa, Don Kelly and Max St. Pierre have pretty much dropped off my radar as guys I thought may have something of a chance to make it to the big leagues at some point.

The good thing about Clevelen he's still young and learning, if you remember correctly he exactly wasn't burning up the FSL in his first year he made the adjustment and had a great 2nd year, so hopefully he can make the same adjustments in his next year at Erie, but hopefully these type of season don't follw him to the next level if they do they may lose patients with him and give up on him.

I'm blown away by how poorly the 2005 Lakeland team, which dominated high A, is doing at AA. Francia, Tousa, Blue, Kirkland, Clevlen, and others have lost it once promoted.

Aren't the pitchers they are facing at AA also successfull performers from high A? Is there an explanation other than last year was a fluke? If Erie's position players don't turn it around, we have no position prospects above high A, and only Larish looks somewhat good at that level.

What "WAS" last year obviously has not matured into what "WILL". So what has failed in the farm system? Lack of retention of seasoned players? Over promotion? With so much talent last year, so little return this year.

Roger

I would have to say that losing Granderson, Verlander, and Zumaya went a long ways in downgrading the minor league teams. Phony hitters reaching AA also contributed to it as well.

I would have to say that losing Granderson, Verlander, and Zumaya went a long ways in downgrading the minor league teams. Phony hitters reaching AA also contributed to it as well.

I agree with you on this one.

I do think that there have been a couple pitching prospects that have responded this season. Jair Jurrjens is one and Humberto Sanchez is the other. Humberto has to be getting pretty close to being considered among the top pitching prospects around with his stuff and performance.

Some of the failures were not that surprising among the hitters.

Its tough when a system loses the two top pitching prospects and the top position prospect. Of course when those players are producing for the big club it is a victory for the overall organization.

To stir up a little controversy: One guy I've more or less lost faith in is Mike Hollimon. At his age, if he were going to make a name for himself, he'd need to be ripping the Midwest League a new one. I don't think it's time to give up entirely, but if he finishes where he's at right now I don't really think he's much of a prospect.

Will Rhymes isn't performing as well as he'd need to for his age and level.

I don't think either statement should be controversial and Rhymes is my AAT. Really Rhymes never had much shot. But hitting like he has at that level at his age isn't going to help much.

Hollimon I thought should have been in the FSL from the beginning to see what we had... given the fact that he really hasn't pushed himself into the next level by now is disappointing and says quite a bit about him as a prospect.

Where is Eric Beattie these days, is he basically done or will be very soon once they start placing these new draftees? Same with guys like Sbroz.

And Huey do you have anymore updates on Audi, I'm feeling now that I was way early on him :)

Last year's Lakeland team (the hitters anyway) has really failed to make the Double A jump. It's really a serious concern - the position players in the farm system are appearing to be a lot weaker this year. I'm reminded of that Erie team a few years back where Torres, Rivera and Munson (and Infante for the most part) were all subsequently exposed as fatally flawed.

I'm not willing to give Clevlen a free pass because it's his first year at AA. If he's a prospect, he shouldn't need two years at each level.

I've always admired Danilo Sanchez from afar, since I don't get to see any of the games. He was the only catcher in the system, I thought, who had ever delivered any offensive production. But Double A appears to have been one step beyond his limit of competence.

I'm pretty sure Beattie had Tommy John after they found something in his elbow. I could be wrong on that. Quick, somebody bump the thread where I said Beattie would be better than Verlander.

Are there any bats in this system that are capable of helping the big league club before the middle of next season? I'd sure doesn't look like it right now.