beek_27

All-Star Game = Joke

Baseball Tonight just flashed up the AL starting lineup if voting ended today. What a suprise: chock full of Yankees and Red Sox.....another popularity contest. It's sad that Alex Rios and players like him that are having a great year aren't even on the ballot. In addition, I was reading an article in USA today on a plane about how MLB is currrently undecided about the homefield advantage for the winning league in the World Series, but Fox, which has the "This Time it Counts" slogan for their broadcast of the game, was under the understanding that it was in-place for good.

Ever since that 7-7 tie a few years ago (and even before that) this game is a joke. And because we have the great Bud Selig as commish, I'm sure the saga will continue.

Anyone else think this is a joke?

And because we have the great Bud Selig as commish, I'm sure the saga will continue.

I think Selig has really improved a lot recently as a commish over the last few seasons. The WBC I believe was a huge success and I applaud his punishment for steroid use.

I think the World Series homem field is rediculous. WIth that, the representatives from the medicore teams like Tampa, Kansas City and all really have no point being there, it doesn't effect them any.

It should just be a game for fun, not home field advantage.

I don't mind the fact that the league which wins the All-Star game wins home-field advantage. It was fairly random before that rule went into effect anyway. Still, the best way to do it is by regular-season record.

I think the All-Star game is a fun exhibition game, just like it always was. I wouldn't say it's a "joke."

It's only a joke if it's meant to be taken seriously and that's why I think the home field thing is wrong. It's a real game/series being setup based on an exhibition where popularity decides who plays. It crosses the line.

The ASG is a popularity contest. Throw in the fact that each team needs one player and the previous WS manager usually tries to include some of his own guys and it shows that it shouldn't be judged as anything more than that. That's why you should never use all star game appearances when evaluating a player's career.

I have no problem with a manager doing that either. That's one of the perks. I believe there should be perks.

I don't mind the fact that the league which wins the All-Star game wins home-field advantage. It was fairly random before that rule went into effect anyway. Still, the best way to do it is by regular-season record.

I think the All-Star game is a fun exhibition game, just like it always was. I wouldn't say it's a "joke."

Good catch on how they used to do the home field. I don't understand why they can't just use the team with the best record. It can't be scheduling because they don't know the potential schedule anyway until July at the earliest. Even then you don't know the teams until a few days away.

The reason used to be that the competitive balance of the two leagues could be different. Therefore, you can't compare the records properly.

Now, interleague play has mitigated that somewhat.

It will never be a perfect measure of who deserves home field in the World Series, but regular season record would still be the best option. Still, they'll probably keep the current system as long as they think it helps the All-Star Game ratings.

Maybe they should award World Series home-field advantage to the league that wins the overall interleague series.

It's only a joke if it's meant to be taken seriously and that's why I think the home field thing is wrong. It's a real game/series being setup based on an exhibition where popularity decides who plays. It crosses the line.

I agree that this is the real problem - popularity contest/exhibition game that is setup to decide something serious: home field advantage. Something has to give....either take it serious by getting rid of the popularity fan voting and let the managers and players decide who plays and is on the team (after all, they are the ones with the stakes on home field advantage) OR keep the voting as is and have it strickly as a fun exhibition game.

One of the biggest problems with the allstar game is that there are too many players. I'd rather just see the best 9 players (picked by managers and coaches) play most of the game. I understand why they need to limit the pitchers to 3 innings but I'd like to see the great position players play a full game. That's more a preference than a complaint though. It's just an exhibition game and I don't take it seriously. The most fun part is arguing about who should make it.

I think Selig has really improved a lot recently as a commish over the last few seasons. The WBC I believe was a huge success and I applaud his punishment for steroid use.

Selig hasn't been punished for the steroid use yet, he's gotten away scott free for his tacit approval of the problem over the last decade.

It's either a popularity contest or it's based on merit. If they take All-Star voting away from the fans, it would be a huge public relations disaster.

The game isn't very interesting to me. What I would like to see is a a skills competition, similiar to the NHL. Some type of accuracy contest for pitchers, maybe hardest thrower if the teams would allow. Fastest around the bases, fastest from 1st to 2nd. Some type of hitting contest along the lines of being able to actually hit the ball in a specified area. Something along these lines would be much more interesting.

I used to like it a lot before interleague play and free agency got so huge. It was neat to see NL pitchers against AL hitters and vice versa.

It's either a popularity contest or it's based on merit. If they take All-Star voting away from the fans, it would be a huge public relations disaster.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation... if you do, fans get upset. If you don't, you get a bunch of Yankees and Red Sox getting elected in.

Bump

Loretta starting at 2B for the AL? Pudge starting at C? Mauer deserves it more. Konerko not starting at 1B, but instead Oritz....a DH starting at 1B in a national league all-star game?

LoDuca starting at C for the NL?

I also wonder who Ozzie Guillen picked from the Sux.....

I am happy that Johan and Joe made it. They deserve it. I am really happy for Joe. He has had a season to remember.

As for the rest of the picks, well I hate this stupid rule about having all teams represented. What for? Fans want to watch the best players in the ASG. Isn't the word All-Star Game mean best players only? What a joke that is.

People always complain about the every team having a representative rule, but of all the rules designed to help ratings, I think that's the one that has the largest effect.

I know personally that I would never watch the all-star game if no Tigers were in it. Every year my specific purpose in watching is to see how the Tiger involved does. If it's a good game, I'll continue watching even after the Tiger is out of the game, but if not then I'll go on to something else.

I have no issues with every team having a representative.

I don't mind that the Royals *have* to have a selection, merely that Mark Redman is a horrible one who might cost the AL home field advantage in the world series.

Young over Guillen had was a glaring mistake and Verlander should have been an All- Star.

I like the baseball all-star game the best by a long shot. You can't step on to a baseball field and not try your best without risking total embarrassment. It's the best against the best and when you are playing against that calibre of player you have to be on top of your game. The All-star game is great. Even though there isn't alot on the line I'd rate it one of my favorite things in sports.

What is wrong with the starting Yankees and Red Sox?

Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter. Loretta.

At least 3 of them are Hall of Famers.

Now if Jason Varitek was starting I could see your point.

1.) Why is Derrick Turnbow an all-star?

2.) It'd be a good thing if Mark Redman blows home field advantage for us. We play better on the road anyway ;)

If I was a PR guy for a baseball star, I'd convince the selecting Manager to NOT pick my guy.

I've heard so much about Loriano getting "snubbed" that I could barf. ESPN.com has his face on every page except Women's Tennis.

You're like a hero for being "snubbed" in the ASG.