gt

Promotions, Demotions, and The Boot

I originally posted this as a reply under the Jair Jurgens post, but it probably deserves it's own post. The Minor League All-Star Games are near and if the Tigers are indeed holding off on promotions til after the all star games, and with the Oneonta Tigers season about to begin, who gets promoted, who gets demoted,, and who gets the boot for all classifications? or should I say, who deserves to get promoted, demoted, and axed?

Mike Hernandez, Cory Middleton, and Ryan Roberson will likely be sent down to Oneonta once the season starts. 2006 draftees 1B Ryan Strieby, 3B Ronnie Bourquin, and RHP Brett Jensen are candidates to go straight to West Michigan.

you've got to make a case for someone else from WM going down, Hernandez is hitting too hot to be demoted, although a case can be made for the fact he was supposed to start his pro career with the O-Ts.

Holliman has earned a move up to Lakeland. What to do about Dlugach, whose job Holliman would take? The cold reality is that he isn't going to the major leagues. It wouldn't seem to accomplish any long-term purpose to send him back to WM, but if none of the draftees can step in and play short at low A, perhaps Dlugach would go back there to fill out the roster.

Holliman has earned a move up to Lakeland. What to do about Dlugach, whose job Holliman would take? The cold reality is that he isn't going to the major leagues. It wouldn't seem to accomplish any long-term purpose to send him back to WM, but if none of the draftees can step in and play short at low A, perhaps Dlugach would go back there to fill out the roster.

Agreed. Dlugach really hasn't done much to cement his spot in Lakeland. I am unsure about his fielding since only errors are reported but he has 13 errors.

Batting .238/.290/.306... really not good at all from Dlugach.

Hollimon isn't setting the world on fire with his .274/.389/.425 line with 14 errors.. But Hollimon still has a chance to be a decent prospect, at his age he needs to be pushed and really Dlugach isn't much of a prospect.

It might hurt his ego, but swapping Holllimon and Dlugach might pay a good return for both. Dlugach is finally begining to make better ball contact with several recent doubles, fielding has improved, though nothing special. Actually the entire Lakeland infield other than Larish is expendable.

I want to back up a bit and ask a very broad question. What is the purpose of a Minor League team?

What are the priorities?

Is it to:

1. Generate talent for the Majors?

2. Generate income for the owners?

3. Provide entertainment for the fans?

Does a Minor League team have an obligation to put a good product on the field? Does the organization have an obligation to the players to try to promote them or are they just "mules" who fill spots to allow the prospects to gain experience?

What are the thoughts?

What are the priorities?

Is it to:

#1 is obviously the top priority, but #2 and 3 are highly dependent on #1. All three are important though.

I'd like to see Garcia moved up to Lakeland and Sanchez get a permanent promotion to Toledo.

I'd like to see Garcia moved up to Lakeland and Sanchez get a permanent promotion to Toledo.

Wouldn't permanent be in Detroit?

Wouldn't permanent be in Detroit?

I meant permanent as opposed to a spot start.

What is the purpose of a Minor League team?

Is it to:

Melissa and I had the very same conversation last week. I would think that the organizations put some players on the field knowing that they are only eating their salary in order to field a team.

As to your questions:

1. This is a major league priority

2. This is a minor league team owner priority

3. This is the fan's priority but also falls into category #2.

I want to back up a bit and ask a very broad question. What is the purpose of a Minor League team?

What are the priorities?

Is it to:

Does a Minor League team have an obligation to put a good product on the field? Does the organization have an obligation to the players to try to promote them or are they just "mules" who fill spots to allow the prospects to gain experience?

What are the thoughts?

The main reason that there are minor league teams is to provide and develop talent for the major league team.

2 and 3 sometimes come from 1. However I don't see it as an obligation to really put a good product out there. Usually if a team is taking care of the first item 2 and 3 will fall into place. MLB organizations also fill some spots with career minor leaguers to help.

The organization doesn't have an OBLIGATION to promote players. REally the answer to that question depends on who we are talking about. If we are talking about Jair Jurrjens then the organization will try to promote them when they are ready for two reasons. First because a challenge can be needed for them to learn and grow as a prospect. Second as they get higher into the system the closer they are to being the next call up.

There are players that are just used to fill spots and to make sure that the team is competitive. These "mules" as you call them are called fodder and they are there to take spots and make sure the minor league team can fill holes. I am sure they have hope for a shot. But in all honesty some of them just don't have a shot. The fodder must make way for the prospects when it comes to promotions/demotions/cuts.

The minor league owners will want to generate entertainment and money. The power they have over the major league team is that the MLB team has a contract with them. When the contract is up the minor league team can change affiliations if they feel the MLB team is not providing them with talent. Thus the incentive for the MLB team to field the fodder/minor league free agents.

Without a lot of research, anyone have a feel for how many of the minor clubs are owned by the MLB parent (as is Lakeland)?

Without a lot of research, anyone have a feel for how many of the minor clubs are owned by the MLB parent (as is Lakeland)?

I think Lakeland and the GCL team are the only 2.

The reason is that the team owns the facilities that the Lakeland team uses.

Since facilities is the main thing that the minor league franchise provides, there is no reason for someone else to own the Lakeland team.

Sorry to hijack this thread, and I can start another one, but this brings up another question.

Does a minor league team gain revenue or share expenese with the MLB parent club? I guess what I mean is why would the Tigers want to have a team in Grand Rapids over Lansing? Is there a revenue sharing piece or a reduced expense item to having a minor league affiliate in one place over the other? What do the owners of a minor league team have to offer to an MLB orginazation to get players?

Think they offer the facility and the parent team pays their wages, etc.....bet someone pays for the affilication..but think we keep the $$ to run our stadium....Act surprised at the new waterfall by 3rd base deck tomorrow nite...PLUS it is Also PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.....towards the parent club...

Back to the topic at hand after a brutal hijacking, I don't see much of a future for Joel Roa and I question if Jermay Laster is right for the Mid West League.

Time is probably coming for some, it almost All-Star break...will break your heart, especially when you know the guys & form a friendship....that's the side of baseball I don't like, but it is life, just like any business who have to trim employees who aren't productive...still sad, if you have a heart!

Who doesn't have a heart on this board?

BTW promotions/demotions/cuts are a necessary part of keeping an organization healthy. It isn't a happy time for players to feel the pressure. But its just the way it is. Their dream has taken them much further than most baseball players.