gt

Jair Jurrjens

Combine that with the fact that he probably would have gotten some sort of a shot with the Cubs had he not had labrum surgery last year. It's good that he's back, and he's young enough that he's not clogging the system, but given the history of labrum tears, he's a long shot at this point.

The All-Star Games are near and if the Tigers are indeed holding off on promotions til after the all star break, and with the Oneonta Tigers season about to begin, who gets promoted, who gets demoted,, and who gets the boot for all classifications? or should I say, who deserves to get promoted, demoted, and axed?

Don't get me wrong about Jair; he deserves the promo and Lakeland will have to make do like they did last year. I was surprised by the timing as promotions normally follow the break, other than the early call up of V. Vasquez last year. This year has been different though with departures and arrivals all season.

Combine that with the fact that he probably would have gotten some sort of a shot with the Cubs had he not had labrum surgery last year. It's good that he's back, and he's young enough that he's not clogging the system, but given the history of labrum tears, he's a long shot at this point.

Labrum surgery, ouch, the surgery of death to pitchers.

Great news.

Now if they could only get some hitting!!!

What's the recovery prognosis on Connolly - that is did/will it change his repetoire?

Jair is pitching today at noon, I think it's on MiLB.com radio...

You just made my work day better. Thanks '84.

You just made my work day better. Thanks '84.

Welcome.

And for the non-audible update:

Jair is pitching the top of the 3rd with a shutout so far, but the big story (so far) is that Erie is kicking the crap out of Akron after 2 innings, 9-0. Clevlen, Melian, & Hunt each have HR's, Kirkland a triple... Wasn't Laffey supposed to be good? (about a 2.05 ERA between Kinston and Akron, but only K's about 5 per 9 innings... His ERA at Akron right now is no longer 1.83, it's 3.48... :grin:).

What's the correct pronunciation of this guy's name?

My undersanding is that "Jair" rhymes with "chair." And the last name is self explanatory.

My understanding is that it's pronounced "Hair HER-hens," but I could be way off.
I was introdued to him as Jair (chair), but our announcers are using "Ja-ear" (Zaire).

What's the correct pronunciation of this guy's name?

Jair pronounces his name with all J's sounded as Js. Jie-air' Jur'-jens

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/BASEBALL01/607090417

... with Jair Jurrjens

Erie SeaWolves beat writer Ron Leonardi quizzes pitcher Jair Jurrjens:

Q What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

A I speak four languages: English, Spanish, Dutch and Papiamentu

Q What is Papiamentu?

A It's a little bit like Spanish, but it has some English and Spanish roots in it. It's like a Creole language and it's spoken in Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba, the Netherlands, St. Maarten and the Virgin Islands.

Q How do you like to relax in your down time?

A PlayStation and talking to the family. Those are two things that relax me.

Q What was life like growing up on Curacao?

A My dad worked for a phone company and my mom worked for a travel agency.

Everybody went through rough times growing up. I'm proud to come from there. It's a really nice island, and every country and island has its own problems. None are perfect. For me, I liked it.

Q Who was your favorite baseball team growing up?

A The Atlanta Braves. My dad was a Braves fan since Hank Aaron, and the first team I saw on television was the Braves. I became a big fan, too.

Q If you couldn't play baseball for a living, what would you want to do?

A That's a tough one, because I've put all my life around baseball. I think I would want to be a veterinarian. I grew up watching The Discovery Channel every day and I like animals.

Q Did soccer compete with baseball for your sporting interest when you were a kid?

A When I first started to go to school, the first sport was soccer and I played it a little bit. I really wasn't into baseball. My whole family played baseball, so it wasn't so difficult choosing one.

Q If you could have a dream date with anyone, who would you choose?

A Halle Berry. I think she's beautiful. That's the only thing I have to say about that. [correct answer]

Q How do you like to get your mind focused and mentally prepared on days you pitch?

A I listen to soft music before I pitch because it relaxes me. There's also a song, like a Spanish rap, I listen to that gets me pumped up for the game.

Q What's been the biggest baseball thrill in your life?

A Winning the 2002 Senior League World Series for my country. It was in Bangor, Maine. We were the first national team to win everything. It was a thrill for me. My elbow was really sore and I closed the championship game against a team from southern Florida. I got the last two outs.

Ron Leonardi can be reached at 870-1680 or by e-mail at ron.leonardi@timesnews.com.

I don't find Halle Berry that attractive...

Hey, this is an unbiased forum.

No opinions allowed (except mine, in this case).

:cool:

I just picked up his Bowman Rookie Card at the Card Store. The dude asked me if he wany any good? He's a friend of mine so i was honest and said hell yes he's a top 5 prospect in the tigers organazation. I bought it a long with a Verlander Rookie i did not have along with 3 Kerry Woods, 7 Mark Priors, 9 Greg Maddux, 4 Derrick Lee's, 2 Zambranos. Kerry Wood is still my Favorite Player and Mark Prior is my 4th Favorite Player. Zumaya is #2 and he cant find any Zumaya cards and Verlander is #3.

From today's Erie Times-News:

Right-handed starter Jair Jurrjens was placed on the disabled list on Tuesday, retroactive to Friday. Jurrjens was involved in a minor car accident on Friday and has complained of stiffness and soreness in his neck. The SeaWolves are contemplating activating Jurrjens for a start on Friday

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/BASEBALL01/607270408

This is why I had Jurrjens behind Larish and Whelan:

Jurrjens today at Erie: 3 2/3 innings, 8 hits, 3 bb's, 6 earned runs, 4 K's.

It looks like he still has some growing pains to get through... unless... his neck injury is affecting his pitching? I mean, that could be it...

He is likely rusty. I don't think you can use one start against him when he is coming back from a stiff neck.

Sanchez and Jurrjens really dont want to be traded. lol.

Yeah it is hilarious that the two top pitching prospects in the system are hurting.

I'll bet Jurrjens could pitch, but they are using this as a way to shut him down. Since he pitched in the World Baseball Classic, it's about time for Jurrjens to shut 'er down anyways.