fyrftrjim

Detroit Minor League Games 6-6-06

Toledo @ Buffalo

C. Durbin (4-3, 2.93) vs. B. Slocum (0-0, 1.50)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erie @ New Hampshire

B. Jones (1-0, 1.85) vs. K. Yates ( 1-5, 5.18)

Clearwater @ Lakeland

J. Happ (2-6, 2.80) vs. D. Trahern (3-6, 4.48)

West Michigan @ Fort Wayne

B. Bandenhop (5-2, 3.45) vs. F. Jimenez (4-4, 3.25)

just back up from Hens BP in Buffalo...lots of pretty nice batting practice homers...Brian Peterson knocked out two in a row over the left center fence, nearly made it three....Max St. Pierre hit one two...asked him about that and he said, "I could hit singles, but it wouldn't do me any good. I'm working on driving the ball more...When I try (too hard) it's not a good swing..."

With Gomez up, Victor Mendez takes over in RF...

Your Hens lineup tonight (in order): Redmond CF, Hooper 2B, Raburn LF, Ludwick DH, Hannahan 1B, Kelly SS, Hessman 3B, Mendez RF, St. Pierre C....Chad Durbin on the hill.....

Whitecaps are having a pretty good game so far. Burke Badenhop on the mound. It is the top of the fourth inning, and the score is 2-1 Caps. They scored their first run on back to back doubles by Mike Hollimon and I believe Cory Middleton allowing Mike to score in the second inning.

In the third inning Raphael Mendez started the inning with a solo Home run.

It is now the fourth inning and the bases are loaded with.........I don't think there are any outs yet.........nope, Jeramy Laster is the first out with a strike out. Raphael up with bases loaded and one out. Raphael hits a sac fly allowing Justin justice to score-- two outs. Rhymes up......RBI single now 4-1 CAps. Pedro up (Cottoooooo!!!!) Another RBI single 5-1 Caps. Matt Joyce is up (double steal Rhymes 3rd and Cotto 2nd) flies out. Way to go Whitecaps

Giarratano's adds a fourth hit: doubles in Blue in the 9th. 6-4 Erie going into the bottom of the inning.

Bobby Jones pitched another great game. Rogers relieved Jones in the eighth with a 2 run lead. Rogers struck out the first 2 batters and then the defense had a mental lapse. A pop-up was allowed to drop. 3 Seawolves convened on the pop-up only to let it drop in front of them, the ol' "I got it, you take it" routine. It goes as a hit in the scorebook but was actually a mental error. The next batter, Lind, hits his second HR of the game to tie it. Rogers then strikes out the next batter for 3 K's in the inning. It's a shame that Jones does not get the win, it's a shame that the dropped pop-up will be charged as an earned run to Rogers, and it's a shame that we have a lead-off batter batting .143 (Francia). Francia was also one of the fielders that allowed the pop-up to drop and also ended the previous inning by making a baserunning mistake.

Yep, he is !!

Just got back from dinner with Cody Johnson and family as he signs tomorrow at 4 p.m.........I know we would not have taken him at 6 overall, but, IMHO, the Braves got a steal, we'll see as time goes on.

I think we did pretty darn good today as well !!

Hens club house a lot quieter tonight, than last night, following the tough loss to the Herd...Shoppach's walk off homer off Tony Fiore in the 10th was the death blow...too bad, too for Fiore, because he came on in the ninth and got the Hens out of what had been a bases loaded, none out jam...I've known Fiore from other stops, and he has always been a battler...just threw a pitch he'd like to have back.....

Durbin went 5.1 inns and toughed it out through then, but both Larry Parrish and pitching coach Jeff Jones knew he wasn't quite right..."Jones said he didn't have real good stuff in the bullpen. His changeup is usually effective, but he didn't have a real good one tonight."

Worked this game (as with the rest of the series) for the Toledo Blade, so you can find more stuff there......D

Hens club house a lot quieter tonight, than last night, following the tough loss to the Herd...Shoppach's walk off homer off Tony Fiore in the 10th was the death blow...too bad, too for Fiore, because he came on in the ninth and got the Hens out of what had been a bases loaded, none out jam...I've known Fiore from other stops, and he has always been a battler...just threw a pitch he'd like to have back.....

Durbin went 5.1 inns and toughed it out through then, but both Larry Parrish and pitching coach Jeff Jones knew he wasn't quite right..."Jones said he didn't have real good stuff in the bullpen. His changeup is usually effective, but he didn't have a real good one tonight."

Worked this game (as with the rest of the series) for the Toledo Blade, so you can find more stuff there......D

did u get a chance to hear the most obnoxious fans in the world at that game tonight???? It was the worst, loudest, most obnoxious thing I have ever seen at a baseball game, and finally Brian Peterson had had enough and start talking back to the a-holes behind the Hens dugout....

Not a great night for Lakeland losing 3-1. Trahern gave up 3 runs with Dolsi and Bonine holding the scoring to 3. Highlights of the night were some assets provided by the Lakeland Tigers for the All-Star Game toward the Booster club and the wonderful evening Robie and I shared with Kevin Ardoin's family. The Mudman is headed back to Toledo in the morning, Ohio beware.

Roger

The offense left the building in Lakeland with Larish the only bright spot, going 1-2 with a homerun and 2 BB, Trahern pitched well, still the fielding is not improving, both umpires were awful for the game don't think either had a clue as to why they were there, can't wait till the regular umps get back.

Fyrftrjim:

A fan told me last night after the game that the HP UMP's strike zone opened and closed more often than the legs of a $10 hooker. I wouldn't know...