Yoda

2006 AMATEUR DRAFT DIARY

Okay, and everything I just surfed around the internet says he is like the only possible elite prospect in this draft, and the no doubt number one pick!

...so are you going to tell me that he may drop to around or pass us because of a few hundreds of thousands of dollars -- is that right or no ?

Okay, and everything I just surfed around the internet says he is like the only possible elite prospect in this draft, and the no doubt number one pick!

...so are you going to tell me that he may drop to around or pass us because of a few hundreds of thousands of dollars -- is that right or no ?

He wants "8 figures"...do the math...:wink:

I was reading the BA draft preview and thought DD might take a look at Bill Rowell, they had him ranked at 17 but a NL scout said he wasn't gonna make it past 10. Anyone have anything more on him? I was thinking it was going to be Morrow, Kershaw, Stubbs or Rowell. Dave doesn't seem to have anything against drafting high school players and it seemed Rowell has a higher ceiling than Stubbs and plays SS/3B even though they think he could move to the outfield.

I like Rowell a lot. He's going to go high, he's pretty hot right now. I wouldn't mind him at six.

I don't know about the rumored 8 figure offering price (seems off to me)...

He knows he's not going to get 8 figures. It's just posturing. He'll settle for something in the $4-5 million range, eventually. Whoever drafts him will just have to wait him out.

There are many examples out there for you to reference to. But, I'll give you one I had experience with ..........in 2002, Scott Kazmir was supposed to be the overall #1 pick. Rumor of his price tag demands scared teams away and he fell to #15 overall to the Mets and signed a "realistic" deal, got into professional baseball and TODAY is the ace of the Devil Ray staff. What do you think his next contract will pay ? Had he held out as did Miller, he would have been redrafted in last year's draft. However, he signed, and now, is in his 3rd season on a major league team !!!

As pointed out, there are thousands of examples, but, each player and thier advisors have to make individual decisions. I just think a player should be realistic (as was Geoff Goetz in 1997), sign, get the money and then work to make it even better !!

Sorry, haven't left yet, you guys have a GREAT DAY, this is awesome !!

A couple million is more like it.

I was reading the BA draft preview and thought DD might take a look at Bill Rowell, they had him ranked at 17 but a NL scout said he wasn't gonna make it past 10. Anyone have anything more on him? I was thinking it was going to be Morrow, Kershaw, Stubbs or Rowell. Dave doesn't seem to have anything against drafting high school players and it seemed Rowell has a higher ceiling than Stubbs and plays SS/3B even though they think he could move to the outfield.

Rowell is a good prospect but I don't think he has a higher ceiling than Stubbs. Scouts are just afraid that Stubbs is a real risk.

He really hasn't been in the mix but you never know what can happen on draft day. Perhaps Dave has been pulling the wool over everyones eyes and is going to take the best HS bat in Rowell. He has been on the rise of late. I think part of the reason he isn't projected this high is that he hasn't shown that power potential in games....

Rowell is most likely going to end up a 3B in the pro's as he grows out of SS.

He knows he's not going to get 8 figures. It's just posturing. He'll settle for something in the $4-5 million range, eventually. Whoever drafts him will just have to wait him out.

I have also read a rumor that he wants to drop to the Cubs at 13 for some reason.

Yeah, okay -- my bad .. but how far do you all expect him to drop ?

That is a good question. This could all be posturing and the Royals could take him at 1.... or he could drop all the way out of the top 10. Really Miller could go at any time.

...didn't J.D. Drew do something like this; asking for allot of money and/or refused to play in Philadelphia or something, back when he was drafted?

...didn't J.D. Drew do something like this; asking for allot of money and/or refused to play in Philadelphia or something, back when he was drafted?

Yes. J.D. Drew was drafted #2 overall in 1997 by the Philadelphia Phillies, just behind Detroit's #1 overall selection Matt Anderson. He elected to play independent ball with the St. Paul Saints rather than sign for what the Phillies were offering, and reentered the draft in 1998 where he was drafted and signed by St. Louis.

Yes, he did that Mickey Mouse crap. I'm not necessarily for salary caps, but I wish they would cap signing bonuses for these amateur players. Ten million dollars is a ridiculous sum for any amateur to be asking for considering the large number of first round draft picks that wind up amounting to nothing. A cap at $5 million signing bonus should be plenty. If you're going to be worth more than that someday, trust me, the big pay days will come.

Yes, he did that Mickey Mouse crap. I'm not necessarily for salary caps, but I wish they would cap signing bonuses for these amateur players. Ten million dollars is a ridiculous sum for any amateur to be asking for considering the large number of first round draft picks that wind up amounting to nothing. A cap at $5 million signing bonus should be plenty. If you're going to be worth more than that someday, trust me, the big pay days will come.

I agree. I also feel the draft should be slotted, and finances controlled. Let the players earn their big pay days.

WOW -- no mention on the fact that we could have easily had the 38th and 72nd picks had we kept Kyle Farnsworth for the remainder of the season?

The 38th and 72nd picks are likely to become Ramon Colon and Zach miner at best, and even that would take some luck. It's a very long shot to expect we would have done better with the picks, IMO.

The 38th and 72nd picks are likely to become Ramon Colon and Zach miner at best, and even that would take some luck. It's a very long shot to expect we would have done better with the picks, IMO.

...ugh, I know the draft is weak and all, but there are some pretty good players, all-star type of players that were drafted in late rounds, let alone the middle of rounds one and two, so I have to disagree with the notion that there will not be a player that will amount to more than those two players.

If I am wrong, please .. explain to me on why that is.

...ugh, I know the draft is weak and all, but there are some pretty good players, all-star type of players that were drafted in late rounds, let alone the middle of rounds one and two, so I have to disagree with the notion that there will not be a player that will amount to more than those two players.

If I am wrong, please .. explain to me on why that is.

I said it would be a long shot. There are always exceptions to that rule. But I would never assume that 2nd and 3rd round picks will become better than those two. It can happen, but if given a choice I'd take those two over the picks probably.

Look at the 100s of players in our system. How many are ever going to see the majors? Maybe 10 or so? With 5 or so having more than just a cup of coffee?

You're always better off taking near or major league ready players.

You make good points, Yoda -- it's all a big crapshoot, I know, but it's still something to mention, and yeah, you make a few very good points.

What do you think his next contract will pay ?

What if he'd become Matt Wheatland? What do you think Matt Wheatland's next contract will pay? This is your guaranteed money...you'd be a fool to not get the most out of it. Now, I think you'd also be a fool to risk being the next Matt Harrington...you've got to take advantage of the opportunity while you've still got it, but I wouldn't fault a player for wanting all the money he can possibly get.

Any of you guys want to attempt a 5 round mock (Tigers only picks)? Cruzer got some picks right a year or two ago with a 5th round pick it seems.

I thought I read that Andrew Miller only had two pitches and may end up in the bullpen. Which would indicate that Kershaw's upside is higher?

The 38th & 72nd pick from 2002 were Matt Clanton to the Cubs & Pat Osborn to the Indians. I couldn't find Clanton in the BA search or ESPN but Osborn is hitting .252 in AA. Whereas Miner & Colon are on the Tigers 25 man roster. My book only goes back to 2002 and I think 2003-2005 would be too soon to expect a post first rounder to be in the majors, not that it is impossible.

Any of you guys want to attempt a 5 round mock (Tigers only picks)? Cruzer got some picks right a year or two ago with a 5th round pick it seems.

1. Kershaw

2. Wes Hodges, 3b, GT

3. Drew Rundle, OF Ore HS

4. Jeremy Barfield, OF TX HS

5. Jason Hagerty, C MO HS

Personally, I don't think his upside is higher, but he's demonstrated more, pitched at a higher level, and has remained healthy through the most injury-prone years of a young pitchers career, with Kershaw just about to enter those years. I'd like to see him be the pick, though it'd be really frustrating to endure negotiations similar to the Maybin/Verlander ones. If not Miller, I'd prefer Stubbs, I guess.

What about Chad Tracy? Is secone round too soon for him? Will he be there in the 3rd? Is he the best catcher available?

Tough one to call. He's an x-factor in this draft. If you think he can throw well enough, then he can definitely catch. The only thing really holding him back.

Tracy's not the best catcher available, IIRC (Hank Conger). I think it's possible that he'd be there in the second, but I really doubt he'll make it to the third.