Yoda

2006 AMATEUR DRAFT DIARY

I think they should take Hochevar if available. Sign him within reason even if you're violating the implied, commisioner's office salary cap on draft picks.

How has that strategy worked out thus far for the Tigers in acquiring bats for the over abundance of pitching they have?

Because yeah really in any normal situation you'd have already made *every* possible bats for pitchers / not caring about the future trade by June 5th in a year you're unexpectedly contending.

I'm still holding out hope that Hank Conger gets drunk tonight and does something really stupid that causes him to fall out of the first round.
I have heard Conger as high as San Diego.

So I guess dumb drunken antics would actually help him if SD is interested. :rambo:

...the minor leagues are extremely thin with hitting... I wouldn't pass over a top pitcher for a hitter just because of that though.

I agree.

But I don't see anyone that would stand out at the #6 either. It's not like we're hoping a Maybin falls to us at 10 here...

I haven't seen anything that would make me upset if we picked one of these guys at #6:

Miller, Morrow, Hochevar, Stubbs, Kershaw, Longoria, ... even Lincecum. Add in Lincoln...

I don't think I'm upset with picking any of those 8 guys.

If Morrow, Miller, and Lincoln are gone... I guess my preferences would be:

1) Hochevar

2) Longoria

3) Stubbs

4) Lincecum

5) Kershaw

But... I don't think I'm going to feel disappointed whichever way we go. Just give me some talent for this organization.

Actually.... I think I'm going to be MUCH more interested in the picks from rounds 2 to 15 or so... than our 1st rounder.

Sorry... but it's going to seem a bit anticlimatic after discussing these guys for months. Like I said... we're not sitting on pins & needles here waiting for another Maybin to fall to us at #6...

THE Lefty bat to take in the second round would be Cody Johnson..........take Hochevar in the first, Johnson in the 2nd .......WOW !!

THE Lefty bat to take in the second round would be Cody Johnson..........take Hochevar in the first, Johnson in the 2nd .......WOW !!

I would like that 1st and 2nd round of the draft. See we can agree on something when it comes to the draft... just not on Stubbs.

I still want Stubbs but I like Hochevar a lot.

amazing, a meeting of minds !! After last year's draft being so successful, I think a Hochevar/Johnson start would be fantastic !!

Stay away from Stubbs, get a starter that can be in Detroit THIS year and a future all-star HR hitter who can play the corner OF or 1B in the future would be awesome. We could move on to Lemon in the third, but, he will probably be gone by then !!

I'd like to see Tom King taken somewhere in the day, possibly around round 12-15...........what a baseball rat !!

Well I have some interesting news out of KC... This is just a rumor from Sickels website but it seems that Brad Lincoln RHP out of Houston is going first overall.

I for one thought they would decide to take the best prospect overall in Miller instead it seems they could opt for the cost saving move in Lincoln. This does shake the draft up a bit but Lincoln was expected to go before the Tigers picked either way. The top 3 have been expected as Miller, Longoria, and Lincoln.

I am officially stoked! Can't wait for this to start. I love the MLB draft because it goes so fast.

I think we were waiting for Pelfry to fall to us, actually. Or am I not thinking of the right draft?

Edit: Nevermind. A ton of posts came between my post and the post I was responding to. Popular thread this morning.

I think we were waiting for Pelfry to fall to us, actually. Or am I not thinking of the right draft?

Edit: Nevermind. A ton of posts came between my post and the post I was responding to. Popular thread this morning.

Pelfrey was the fallback pick, although the Tigers probably thought differently (wanting Pelfrey more than Maybin?).

I wanted Maybin to fall to us, and Pelfrey to be gone.

BEGONE Pelfrey!!!!!

:grin:

Nobody else has posted in 5 hours. :)

You're clearly correct, Yoda. I've lost my mind. I shall see myself out of this thread. :)

Callis's latest mock goes like this:

Hochevar

Reynolds

Lincoln

Longoria

Marrow

Kershaw

Miller drops to 11 and Linecum to 12

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/261627.html

6. Tigers: Detroit won't bite on Hochevar if the Royals go in a different direction, but it wouldn’t be afraid to battle for Miller. But the Tigers can get a quality pitcher without as much fuss by choosing Kershaw or Lincecum. They also have interest in Stubbs, though not at the expense of those two arms.

Projected Pick: Clayton Kershaw, lhp, HS/Dallas.

I just don't see the Tigers passing on Hochevar if he's there. And by all indications, he will be.

I don't want to see the Tigers passing on Miller if he is there. They shouldn't pass on him to get Kershaw I know that much.

In his mock Kershaw is my least favorite option although I would rather have a Kershaw than Lincecum.

In my preferences the ranking would go:

1. Miller

2. Stubbs

3. Kershaw

152. Lincecum

If left with the options in that mock.

For those interested, here is the draft order:

First Round
1. Royals
2. Rockies
3. Devil Rays
4. Pirates
5. Mariners
[B][COLOR="Red"]6. Tigers[/COLOR][/B]
7. Dodgers
8. Reds
9. Orioles
10. Giants
11. Diamondbacks
12. Rangers
13. Cubs
14. Blue Jays
15. Nationals
16. Brewers
17. Padres
18. Phillies (from Mets for type A Wagner)
19. Marlins
20. Twins
21. Yankees (from Phillies for type A Gordon)
22. Nationals (from Athletics for type B Loaiza)
23. Astros
24. Braves
25. Angels (from Indians for type B Byrd)
26. Dodgers (fron Angels for type A Weaver)
27. Red Sox
28. Red Sox (from Yankees for type A Damon)
29. White Sox
30. Cardinals

Supplemental First Round
31. Dodgers (for Weaver)
32. Orioles (for Ryan)
33. Giants (for Eyre)
34. Diamondbacks (for Worrell)
35. Padres (for Hernandez)
36. Marlins (for Burnett)
37. Phillies (for Wagner)
38. Braves (for Farnsworth)
39. Indians (for Howry)
40. Red Sox (for Damon)
41. Yankees (for Gordon)
42. Cardinals (for Morris)
43. Braves (for Furcal)
44. Red Sox (for Mueller)

Second Round
45. Royals
46. Rockies
47. Devil Rays
48. Pirates
49. Mariners
[B][COLOR="red"]50. Tigers[/COLOR][/B]
51. Braves (for type A Furcal)
52. Reds
53. Padres (for type A Hernandez)
54. Cardinals (for type A Morris)
55. Diamondbacks
56. Indians (for type B Millwood)
57. Indians (for type A Howry)
58. Orioles (for type A Ryan)
59. Nationals
60. Brewers
61. Padres
62. Mets
63. Marlins
64. Twins
65. Phillies
66. Athletics
67. Astros
68. Braves
69. Indians
70. Nationals (for type B Carrasco)
71. Red Sox
72. Braves (for type A Farnsworth)
73. White Sox
74. Cardinals

Supplemental Second Round
75. Indians (for Elarton)
76. Cardinals (for Nunez)

Third Round
77. Royals
78. Rockies
79. Devil Rays
80. Pirates
81. Mariners
[B][COLOR="red"]82. Tigers[/COLOR][/B]
83. Red Sox (for type A Mueller)
84. Reds
85. Orioles
86. Diamondbacks (for type A Worrell)
87. Diamondbacks
88. Rangers
89. Giants (for type A Eyre)
90. Marlins (for type A Burnett)
91. Nationals
92. Brewers
93. Padres
94. Mets
95. Marlins
96. Twins
97. Phillies
98. Athletics
99. Astros
100. Braves
101. Indians
102. Angels
103. Red Sox
104. Yankees
105. White Sox
106. Cardinals

Fourth Round
107. Royals
108. Rockies
109. Devil Rays
110. Pirates
111. Mariners
[B][COLOR="red"]112. Tigers[/COLOR][/B]
113. Dodgers
114. Reds
115. Orioles
116. Giants
117. Diamondbacks
118. Rangers
119. Twins (for type B Jones)
120. Blue Jays
121. Nationals
122. Brewers
123. Padres
124. Mets
125. Marlins
126. Twins
127. Phillies
128. Athletics
129. Astros
130. Braves
131. Indians
132. Angels
133. Red Sox
134. Yankees
135. White Sox
136. Cardinals

Fifth Round and Up
137. Royals
138. Rockies
139. Devil Rays
140. Pirates
141. Mariners
[B][COLOR="red"]142. Tigers[/COLOR][/B]
143. Dodgers
144. Reds
145. Orioles
146. Giants
147. Diamondbacks
148. Rangers
149. Cubs
150. Blue Jays
151. Nationals
152. Brewers
153. Padres
154. Mets
155. Marlins
156. Twins
157. Phillies
158. Athletics
159. Astros
160. Braves
161. Indians
162. Angels
163. Red Sox
164. Yankees
165. White Sox
166. Cardinals

If we pick Kershaw over Miller or Stubbs, like BA is projecting, I will not be pleased.

Is it really worth getting upset about? The draft is such a crapshoot. It seems like around half of the people here didn't want Verlander either. I know there are other reasons for that, but I have a hard time getting upset over the draft. I think there are a LOT of issues with all of these players that we're unaware of, such as injury concerns, work ethic, signability, etc. That's why prospects are so unpredictable to begin with. I want them to draft who they think best helps them. The only thing I'd get upset about is if they pass a guy just because they don't want to pay him.

Mayo of mlb.com is reporting the same thing this morning. Apparently Miller wants A LOT... either way I would rather have Stubbs any day of the week than Kershaw.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20060605&content_id=1489090&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

6. Detroit Tigers: Clayton Kershaw, LHP, Highland Park HS, Dallas, Texas

The Tigers are faced with a decision, and not the one that seemed to be facing them. Now it may come down to the college lefty in Miller or the high school lefty in Kershaw (with Tim Lincecum as the "safe" pick). Obviously, Miller has some high bonus demands, the reason why he's still around at this spot. Reportedly, Kershaw is looking for a good number, too. So it's a question of who they'd rather ride it out with. An argument could be made that it should be Miller because if you're going to play that game, might as well do it with the guy they rate the highest. They rode it out with Justin Verlander and that seems to be working out OK. In the end, though, something tells me they'll settle on Kershaw when push comes to shove.

Im thinking Hochevar if hes still there. DD loves pitching and this guy projects to be in the bigs quickly. If not Hochevar then Stubbs or Longoria.

Is it really worth getting upset about?

Nah...it's only the future of the franchise... :cheeky:

Seriously, though, I don't like drafting HS pitchers, especially pitchers whose deliveries make them especially prone to injury. Add in the fact that there are likely to be equally impressive arms available from the college ranks, and a Kershaw selection doesn't make much sense.

I mean, Miller has been the consensus #1 prospect all spring. Why would you pass on a proven, power college lefty to take Kershaw?