Yoda

2006 AMATEUR DRAFT DIARY

A bit of breaking news. The Tigers inked Jeff Kunkel this evening, so they got at least one draft-and-follow signed.

Kunkel should be good minor league catching fodder. I don't think much of him as a prospect... we will see though.

Hmmm... a great defensive centerfielder with moderate power, a bit of a strikeout problem, and some patience at the plate...

Which younger player in the league could he be compared to?

Jeff Francouer.

I am probably higher on Longoria than most. He was MVP of the Cape Cod League this summer, leading the league in HR, RBI, and SLG. Boyd's World has Longoria at .353/.468/.602, which is pretty nice for an infielder. Stubbs hit .342/.439/.580 fwiw

Last year Hochevar had a 2.26 ERA in 139.2 IP. 9.92 K/9, 3.48 BB/9, 1.13 WHIP

Jeff Francouer.

I am probably higher on Longoria than most. He was MVP of the Cape Cod League this summer, leading the league in HR, RBI, and SLG. Boyd's World has Longoria at .353/.468/.602, which is pretty nice for an infielder. Stubbs hit .342/.439/.580 fwiw

I don't think Stubbs is anything like Francouer. Francouer has 0 patience at the plate. Stubbs will strike out a lot just like Francouer but I think he will balance it with walks.

I'd like to see the Tigers tab a position player, because the system is nearly bereft of high-ceiling bats. But I generally agree with the best-player-available strategy. There's no reason to draft an average player simply because he plays a position.

Are there any catcher turned pitcher prospects in the draft that the Tigers might take a flyer on?

(The Tigers have done so the last two drafts - Mahoney, Whelan)

Are there any catcher turned pitcher prospects in the draft that the Tigers might take a flyer on?

(The Tigers have done so the last two drafts - Mahoney, Whelan)

The catchers are so weak this year that teams are looking for players they can convert into catchers.

I'd like to see the Tigers tab a position player, because the system is nearly bereft of high-ceiling bats. But I generally agree with the best-player-available strategy. There's no reason to draft an average player simply because he plays a position.

I agree with this. If they take a lot of pitching early I will be disappointed though because they do need a lot of bats.

I agree with this. If they take a lot of pitching early I will be disappointed though because they do need a lot of bats.

It all depends on what the draft dictates. I would like to see projectable high ceiling bats early. Take some chances on some HS players in the first 10 rounds and hope that 1 or 2 of them really work out.

First round I can see a pitcher ending up being the best choice. I wouldn't want Kershaw over Longoria.... but I wouldn't mind Hochevar because I think he has a high ceiling and could be ready in a hurry.

This draft is so pitching heavy though its going to be tough to load up on bats. But there are some possible value picks there...

I don't think Stubbs is anything like Francouer. Francouer has 0 patience at the plate. Stubbs will strike out a lot just like Francouer but I think he will balance it with walks.

Besides plate discipline they are basically the same, which means they have a lot in common. Francouer is better at making contact.

There aren't any bats to get excited over this year. If Longoria is the best hitter this year, that says something about this draft class.

...and I disagree with taking a position player over the best player available, being this team needs more talent, no matter if they pitch or hit.

An over abundance of pitching prospects can still get you good position players via trade, we don't have to draft him in order to get 'em here.

It seem, from what I read from those I respect .. it's always your best bet to take the best player available - period.

An over abundance of pitching prospects can still get you good position players via trade, we don't have to draft him in order to get 'em here.

How has that strategy worked out thus far for the Tigers in acquiring bats for the over abundance of pitching they have?

I'd be really happy to get Longoria.

My current top six:

Miller

Lincoln

Longoria

Hochevar

Stubbs

Lincecum

The comp being fished for is Granderson, I suppose. Longoria has the upside of a Jeff Kent, IMO. That's pretty damned good. Does Stubbs have more upside than Torii Hunter? I'm skeptical that the strikeouts can be improved upon enough for him to hit for a good average, so I'm not sure his upside is as great as advertised. (At the same time, his "risk" factor also seems overstated since he'll certainly show power and he'll certainly defend his position very well.)

How has that strategy worked out thus far for the Tigers in acquiring bats for the over abundance of pitching they have?

So because they don't have a history in doing this they shouldn't try? I don't get this logic...

Besides plate discipline they are basically the same, which means they have a lot in common. Francouer is better at making contact.

Plate discipline is a huge variable, especially when comparing players at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum.

So because they don't have a history in doing this they shouldn't try? I don't get this logic...

Dombrowski said exactly what Benke said a few years ago and I haven't seen any sign that is part of his plan. This organization has a deep need for hitters. It's scary that next to Granderson and Maybin the best hitter after that might be Frazier or Giarratano.

That patience would be a big difference in the relative values. I think Stubbs is faster as well.

The comp being fished for is Granderson, I suppose. Longoria has the upside of a Jeff Kent, IMO. That's pretty damned good. Does Stubbs have more upside than Torii Hunter? I'm skeptical that the strikeouts can be improved upon enough for him to hit for a good average, so I'm not sure his upside is as great as advertised. (At the same time, his "risk" factor also seems overstated since he'll certainly show power and he'll certainly defend his position very well.)

I really don't see Longoria having the upside of Jeff Kent. I see him having the upside of Mike Lowell. A career .274/.341/.466 hitter.

I think that you can hit for a decent average and have a ton of strikeouts it all depends on the walks that you offset that with and how hard you hit the ball. I think that Stubbs has a better upside than Hunter because I think he has a chance to have a better career obp than Hunter... basically around .270/.370/.530

1) Dombrowski said exactly what Benke said a few years ago and I haven't seen any sign that is part of his plan. This organization has a deep need for hitters.

2) It's scary that next to Granderson and Maybin the best hitter after that might be ...

1) Gotta wait till the pitchin's built up before you can trade it...

2) Jeff Larish: .254/.354/.459/.813 at Lakeland; Jeff Frazier: .271/.305/.407/.713 at Lakeland; Ryan Raburn?!?!?!: .296/.377/.534/.911 at Toledo.... :grin:

Larish is the next best hitter after Maybin and Granderson... if you are talking young hitters.

And yes the minor leagues are extremely thin with hitting.... I wouldn't pass over a top pitcher for a hitter just because of that though.

1) Gotta wait till the pitchin's built up before you can trade it...

2) Jeff Larish: .254/.354/.459/.813 at Lakeland; Jeff Frazier: .271/.305/.407/.713 at Lakeland; Ryan Raburn?!?!?!: .296/.377/.534/.911 at Toledo.... :grin:

I really like Larish but hitting .254 in A ball doesn't mean it's time to throw a parade. Raburn has a long ways to go I know he had a very short stay in 04 but striking out in two thirds of your AB's is pretty sad.

I'm still holding out hope that Hank Conger gets drunk tonight and does something really stupid that causes him to fall out of the first round. :classic:

Someone will take Ian Kennedy late in the 1st round. Boston, St. Louis, or Houston would be my guesses.