Yoda

2006 AMATEUR DRAFT DIARY

Playing off my own post...if the Tigers find themselves with their choice of Hochevar or Stubbs, who would everyone favor?

What is the essential ceiling of these two guys, if someone doesn't mind elaborating to those who are idiots when it comes to this process?

Can anyone give a descriptive comparison of someone in the majors as a possible ceiling for each, where they see each guy ending up, etc...

There is no draft for international players. Teams can sign them as soon as they turn 16.

Will there ever be a day where they make it to where every player, no matter where they are from, must enter the draft to get into MLB ?

Will there ever be a day where they make it to where every player, no matter where they are from, must enter the draft to get into MLB ?

I doubt it due to the sheer logistics of it.

What is the essential ceiling of these two guys, if someone doesn't mind elaborating to those who are idiots when it comes to this process?

Can anyone give a descriptive comparison of someone in the majors as a possible ceiling for each, where they see each guy ending up, etc...

Just my opinion:

Hochevar - He has the ceiling of a top of the rotation starter. Mid 90's fastball, refined offspeed stuff, and control over his pitches. Assuming the layoff doesn't effect him. I think he could move in a hurry. Since he hasn't thrown that much this year if the Tigers sign him quickly he could be possibly see Erie by the end of this season.

Stubbs - Gold Glove center fielder that hits .270/.370/.530... Some say Torrii Hunter but I think he has better patience than that. I think he is more likely to reach this ceiling than some people do. As long as a team can deal with the strikeouts and as long as he can continue to show this patience and power he will be a top MLB CF.

What international prospects out there are first round quality talents? Does anybody have any inside information as to who the Tigers may sign on the international front?

THANKS -- Easy; does the thought of a Granderson, Stubbs, Maybin outfield sound as good to you as it just did, after reading your post .. to me ?

The best thing about Hochevar is that he hasn't pitched much this year, so you're willing to throw him into the fire, not shut him down this year. He could even be a candidate to go to the Arizona Fall League, which would help guage when he'll be major league ready. I'm going with Hochevar all out now.

Honestly if international players were in the draft, I don't know how good it would be for baseball. It would essentially eliminate the idea of individual clubs investing in baseball academies in Latin America. The logic being: why put down a few million dollars to train kids will will play for other teams? It's why we don't have teams sponsoring similar things in the inner cities here. MLB just opened one in Los Angeles due to the dearth of inner city athletes but it's more of a pilot program and it's unlikely they'll spend as much money on US ones as teams would be willing to spend if they got to keep the players.

Baseball America and John Mayo (MLB.com) currently have Hochevar to Detroit. I typically trust those sources more.

It seems that people were assuming that Hochevar was going to be the Seattle pick. However they have recently denied those reports and it seems they might be looking in another direction.

If it ends up being Kershaw versus Stubbs like the SI mock I would hope they would take Stubbs.

While I'm thinking of it, I'd highly recommend Jerry Crasnick's recent book "License to Deal" to those interested in the MLB draft process. It's about agents, generally, but discusses the yearly scramble to sign the top draft prospects quite a bit. I'm not finished with it yet, but it's been a great read so far, and seems particularly relevant this time of year.

Interesting note: Danny Almonte, former "Little League World Series" star is in the draft, as is Jeffery Maier, the Yankees' hero in 1996. Should be interesting. I wouldn't mind the Tigers going for Almonte, he's projected to go in the first ten rounds or so I hear. Almonte pitched down here in Miami two years ago in high school and did excellent.

Do the Tigers have camps and such in Latin American countries?

They share Jose Rijo's academy with the Yankees in the Dominican.

Ugh...We need to open atleast three of them for just the Tigers. One in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Venezuela. We can't go around "sharing" :cheeky:

Ugh...We need to open atleast three of them for just the Tigers. One in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Venezuela. We can't go around "sharing" :cheeky:

Sharing that camp is a big upgrade. It is known as one of the nicer camps in the DR. I hope we see some production fron there soon.

Some say Torrii Hunter but I think he has better patience than that.

Hmmm... a great defensive centerfielder with moderate power, a bit of a strikeout problem, and some patience at the plate...

Which younger player in the league could he be compared to?

But its shared with the Yankeees. How does that work out?

I think those camps are very big. OU or microline would be better with the details but I think that basically sharing means that both the Tigers and Yankees support the camp with money and have pretty exclusive rights to scout the players in that camp.

Since this camp is one of the most high profile ones in the DR, it is a good one to have piece of. I haven't heard of any big signings recently though...

Hmmm... a great defensive centerfielder with moderate power, a bit of a strikeout problem, and some patience at the plate...

Which younger player in the league could he be compared to?

I am not quite sure Ed. :ponder:

I'd really like Marcus Lemon, because Dad was cool. Does anyone know whereabouts he's supposed to go?

If Longoria falls, I'd love to snatch him before Stubbs or Hochevar. I guess it really depends upon what you look for in a 1st round pick. But at #6 overall, the primary thing I want is someone who is a close to a guarantee as possible and who projects to move quickly. Longoria may not have quite the upside as Stubbs or some of the others, but he's no slouch either. He plays a premium position (either 2B or 3B, no matter where he ends up). He projects to hit for average. Has some pop. And has great patience at the plate and draws walks. I'll take that all day long. Give me 13 of these type of players to work with, and I'll show you the best offenses in the game.

I'm much more willing to take some "shots" with high ceiling guys later in the draft.

But if Longoria is gone, Stubbs would be great too. I don't see him as much of a project at all. But I do suspect he might take a little bit longer to reach the majors. I don't understand why everyone thinks that the K's are such a big issue, they aren't to me.

I feel more confident that Hochevar will be an impact player than Longoria. No way I pass on Hochevar for Longoria.

One has a shot at being a slightly above average infielder. The other has a shot at being a top of the rotation starter that is ready to face the MLB by the middle of next season....

Stubbs I would take before Longoria because I like his ceiling more. Its just a preference for high ceiling players.