Yoda

2006 AMATEUR DRAFT DIARY

Here is the

draft order.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/261330.html

2006 Draft Tracker

By Baseball America Staff

June 5, 2006 Print this article

Here's a look at which prospects' draft stock is on the rise, and which ones are sliding down lists. One important caveat: This list is based on talent, not a prediction of the order in which the players will be selected. Players move up and down the list based on what we hear about their draft status, not based on their results.

1. Andrew Miller, lhp, North Carolina

Tar Heels ace pitched off his slider Saturday and has done nothing to alter his status as this draft's top talent.

2. Brad Lincoln, rhp, Houston

Had his worst start of the year in regional play, but Lincoln still brings two plus pitches to the mound more consistently than any other college pitcher.

3. Tim Lincecum, rhp, Washington

After being passed over for 40 rounds last year, Lincecum appears to be slipping several spots (but not rounds) in this draft. Due to his workload (125 IP, 199 K's) and small frame, he may be shut down for the year by whatever team drafts him.

4. Luke Hochevar, rhp, Forth Worth Cats (independent)

Significant makeup questions haven't stopped about 10 teams, starting with the Royals at No. 1, from considering the former Tennessee ace and Scott Boras client.

5. Evan Longoria, 3b/2b, Long Beach State

Status as safest college hitter on the board remains unchanged.

6. Brandon Morrow, rhp, California

Stock has improved slightly for the pitcher with the best pure arm available.

7. Greg Reynolds, rhp, Stanford

Took a step forward in April and hasn't ceded ground while helping the Cardinal reach the super-regional round.

8. Max Scherzer, rhp, Missouri

Healthy again after early nagging finger and arm injuries, he reassured scouts with dominant performances in May against Texas and in the Big 12 tournament.

9. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Highland Park HS, Dallas

The top prep pitcher on the board was named the Gatorade High School Player of the year Monday.

10. Drew Stubbs, of, Texas

With his Longhorns shockingly eliminated from the NCAA tournament, Stubbs can call it a career: 205 strikeouts in 204 college games.

11. Bill Rowell, 3b, Bishop Eustace Prep, Sewell, N.J.

In the mix for teams starting as high as eight, he's emerged as the draft's consensus top prep hitter.

12. Kyle Drabek, rhp, The Woodlands (Texas) HS

Scouts continue to debate the makeup of one of the draft's top talents. Drabek could go as high as 12 or fall out of the first round altogether.

13. Daniel Bard, rhp, North Carolina

His easy 96 mph gas is enticing teams from 5 to 15.

14. Jeremy Jeffress, rhp, Halifax County HS, South Boston, Va.

Preponderance of college pitchers pushes him down the draft into the 20-30 range, but Jeffress' stuff has put him near the top of the prep class.

15. Travis Snider, of, Jackson HS, Everett, Wash.

Concerns about his weight (the 6-footer checks in at 240) are outweighed by his impressive, polished bat.

16. Brett Sinkbeil, rhp, Missouri State

Went eight innings in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament to quell concerns about his April oblique muscle injury.

17. David Huff, lhp, UCLA

Stuff stayed solid despite heavy workload for Bruins, establishing Huff as No. 2 college lefty behind Andrew Miller.

18. Joba Chamberlin, rhp, Nebraska

Stock has fallen due to injury concerns and a shorter track record when compared to other top college arms.

19. Chris Marrero, 3b, Monsignor Pace HS, Miami

Salvaged first-round status with furious finish, helping Pace win state title with four postseason home runs.

20. Jeff Samardzija, rhp, Notre Dame

Scouts covet his power arm and athletic body, but scouts must deal with his commitment to play both football and baseball at a high level. He's unlikely to go this high but would be a first-rounder if not for football.

21. Brett Anderson, lhp, Stillwater (Okla.) HS

Concerns about his athleticism can't obscure his three-pitch mix and excellent command.

22. Hank Conger, c, Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS

Vast strides behind the plate have teams excited, though finding a fit for him in the first 20 picks is getting harder to do.

23. Chris Parmelee, of, Chino Hills (Calif.) HS

Considered one of the draft's safer bets among hitters with good plate discipline and a sound swing; could have a pre-draft deal in place to go 10th to San Francisco.

24. Pedro Beato, rhp, St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC

Track record a concern for one of the draft's liveliest arms, one scouts assumed the Mets would sign as a draft-and-follow.

25. Kasey Kiker, lhp, Russell County HS, Seale, Ala.

A lefty with his kind of power stuff is unlikely to last through the first round, no matter how short he is.

26. Bryan Morris, rhp, Motlow (Tenn.) CC

Another draft-and-follow who deepens the first round, bringing a fastball that has reached the 94-96 mph range and a power breaking ball.

27. Colten Willems, rhp, John Carroll Catholic HS, Fort Pierce, Fla.

Threw well during Florida's high school all-star event to move into the second tier of top prep pitchers. Combines mid-90s fastball with feel for a changeup.

28. Brooks Brown, rhp, Georgia

Inconsistent mechanics late in the year have hampered his command. His big arm keeps scouts coming back.

29. Matt Antonelli, 3b/2b, Wake Forest

Teams in the mid-teens thought to be high on the safe-bet infielder have moved on, dropping him back closer to spot warranted by his skills and athelticism.

30. Kyler Burke, of, Ooltewah HS, Chattanooga, Tenn.

Once considered a pitching prospect, he's moved to the head of the list of athletic prep outfielders in a draft thin on them.

The draft begins at 1 p.m. ET and the Tigers have the 6th selection.

The Tigers are rumored with Stubbs, Kershaw, Hochevar, and Scherzer.

The latest rumors have them going with Hochevar since it seems the Mariners will pass on him. He is probably overall the second best arm in the draft. Some teams would be scared off by the fact that he is a Boras client.

I like Stubbs and Hochevar. I am not a big fan of Kershaw or Scherzer. Scherzer because he was injured this season and Kershaw becaue I don't like his motion it is all arm.

Lets get a good hitting infielder...

I don't think they should or will reach for a good hitting infielder. They need to take the best players with the highest ceilings.

In the first round I like Stubbs and Hochevar more than Longoria. I have gone back and forth on it but I don't think Longoria has a chance to be special.

The needs of the MLB club have nothing to do with the draft.

The Tigers are rumored with Stubbs, Kershaw, Hochevar, and Scherzer.

The latest rumors have them going with Hochevar since it seems the Mariners will pass on him. He is probably overall the second best arm in the draft. Some teams would be scared off by the fact that he is a Boras client.

I like Stubbs and Hochevar. I am not a big fan of Kershaw or Scherzer. Scherzer because he was injured this season and Kershaw becaue I don't like his motion it is all arm.

I'm sure Kershaw could fix his motion once he gets to the proper coaching...

Verlander had mechanical issues too that were quickly tweaked. I'm not sure if they were as poor as Kershaw's though.

When all things are equal I would rather take the pitcher with the cleaner mechanics. I was not really scared by Verlanders mechanics, I thought he had trouble repeating them... Kershaw just uses his arm.

It can be fixed but how much damage has already been done?

If I am doing the picking I am focused on Stubbs or Hochevar before Kershaw.

I've been keeping track for a while, but really have laid back in the weeds because this is my first year doing so. With that said, I'll say I'd prefer Hochevar or Stubbs if Longoria is gone. Hochevar scares me after what happened last year, but the talent is there & he could help soon. I like some of what I've read of Kershaw, but he's not clear cut enough for me to get over my fear of high school arms in the first round.

I want Longoria. We need some young infielders in our system that we can groom and get ready for the majors. But if we get the best SP avaliable, I'll be happy

I want Longoria. We need some young infielders in our system that we can groom and get ready for the majors. But if we get the best SP avaliable, I'll be happy

As I said before I go back and forth with Longoria. I took him in the mock draft yesterday but was kicking myself literally 5 minutes later. I don't know that he has that great of a ceiling. I look at him as a possibly slightly above average infielder not what I want at 6.

I absolutely never think a team should pick for need in the MLB entry draft. It is too much of a crapshoot. These players are typically 3-5 years away. Hochevar is the one that could probably make it a lot faster than that.

Looking at this system as a whole there really isn't any position the Tigers are deep enough to ignore. They need high ceiling players at every spot. Few teams ever are deep enough to ignore a position.

I mean where are the tons of high ceiling outfielders that the Tigers have so that they can ignore OF?

Playing off my own post...if the Tigers find themselves with their choice of Hochevar or Stubbs, who would everyone favor?

Playing off my own post...if the Tigers find themselves with their choice of Hochevar or Stubbs, who would everyone favor?

Hochevar is the choice. Stubbs is too iffy for some reason.

I would go with Hochevar but would be happy with either. He hasn't pitched much this year and I think he would sign relatively quickly and start pitching by the end of June. Assuming no health problems, he might be at Erie by the end of the year, hopefully pushing Sleeth and Jurrjens there.

I would take Stubbs. His ceiling is just too enticing for me.

But I would be fine with it if the Tigers went with Hochevar over Stubbs. I wouldn't be happy with Longoria over Stubbs even though I made that decision yesterday.

I say you must take pitching over position players if the players have a similar ceiling. An organization can never have too much pitching.

How and when are international players chosen? I think thats where you need to find your bats. It seems like most of the young big bats these days have Latin names.

There is no draft for international players. Teams can sign them as soon as they turn 16. The Tigers do need more focus on international prospects.

I saw on someone's draft sheet that Stubbs has 205 strikeouts in 204 games in college. I'm sure his strikeout totals have been discussed in previous threads, but isn't that kind of a scary stat?

I am still a Kershaw fan.

I think improving lower body motion is relatively easy in my opinoin. I also don't think it should take long.

I saw on someone's draft sheet that Stubbs has 205 strikeouts in 204 games in college. I'm sure his strikeout totals have been discussed in previous threads, but isn't that kind of a scary stat?

I would be more scared if he didn't show patience to go with it. The second half of the season he showed a ton of patience by drawing walks.

Given how weak this draft is I take the chance that is a true gain in pitch recognition skills.

Funny how the draft in any sport is a crap shoot. I saw an interview on FSN with Albert Pujols a couple weeks ago and all his life people told him he couldn't do it, won't get anywhere, couldn't make it in the majors, his skills weren't that good. He was drafted in the 13th round in 1999 and he said if he could just get drafted that he knew he will make it in the majors. He didn't even care where or who drafted him, only that he was drafted.

With all the draft info out there for fans and such, do scouts check backgrounds on these guys and see their attitudes and how they are on and off the field? Also is there info out there on these guys on how they are off the field, personalities, etc? A positive attitude is everything.