ballmich

Matt Lawton?

He was designated for assignment by Seattle, should be a FA within 10 days or as he is likely to refuse an assignment to the minors. Veteran LHB. Patient at the plate. Draws walks. Adequate defensively at either corner OF spot. He probably would sign for around the league minimum, if given the opportunity to get ABs in a platoon type role.

I think it would be a low risk move. We can test it out for 30 days and see if he has anything left in the tank. I'd rather try him out than have to deal any of our prospects in a month and a half at the trade deadline.

Knobler said (in chat, or on his blog or something) that the Tigers felt Lawton just wasn't any good anymore, so I wouldn't expect this sort of move. I'd be OK with it, but hopefully we do a little better (i.e. Ibanez, Casey, etc.).

It wouldn't shock me that the Tigers wouldn't be interested in Lawton, but why not? If they don't think he is good, then what are they doing with Santiago and Hannahan on the roster? Or Gomez? I just don't see how a 30 day trial period could be that detrimental. If it doesn't work out, we still have time to pickup another LHB via trade at the deadline. In the meantime, the cost is pretty small, both in terms of dollars and since he will be a FA we won't lose any prospects. Ibanez and Casey are okay, but they won't be had for free. I just don't see how it could hurt, whether it is a popular move or not.

Hey, it's not me saying that. I wouldn't mind bringing him in either. His strengths more or less perfectly align with the Tigers weaknesses, so whatever skills he's still got could be used to maximum effect. But it looks like they're not going to do it.

Lawton is on that quick Bobby Higginson/Dmitri Young decline. He's lost a bit of his bat speed and that makes him extremely vulnerable to any fastballs up in the zone.....just can't catch up to 'em and either strikes out or pops up a lot.

I can't remeber where but I read he asked to be designated for assignment. The same article thought he would head for the Yankees. With their injury problems it makes sense.

NO WAY WOULD I EVER WANT A STEROID USER AROUND!!!! HE'S A CHEATER AND ALL HIS RECORDS SHOULD BE WIPED FROM THE BOOKS!!!! ASTERISK! ASTERISK!

NO WAY WOULD I EVER WANT A STEROID USER AROUND!!!! HE'S A CHEATER AND ALL HIS RECORDS SHOULD BE WIPED FROM THE BOOKS!!!! ASTERISK! ASTERISK!

Lawton juiced?

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be the first Tiger to try steroids...

He's done. I watched him play for the M's this year and he added nothing to a bad team.

It wouldn't shock me that the Tigers wouldn't be interested in Lawton, but why not? If they don't think he is good, then what are they doing with Santiago and Hannahan on the roster? ...

Lawton can play infield? Santiago is here for his defense. Hanahan is a fill in while DY is on the DL. DY is not going to be counted on to be an OF, like Lawton. Who in the OF do you want Lawton to take ABs away from?

Lawton can play infield? Santiago is here for his defense. Hanahan is a fill in while DY is on the DL. DY is not going to be counted on to be an OF, like Lawton. Who in the OF do you want Lawton to take ABs away from?

obviously i never said that lawton can play the infield. what's the point of having santiago around when you also have infante. both play average defense, so it's not like we're running ozzie smith out there. and what team needs two weak hitting back-up infielders? what we need is a LHB. i like what lawton brings to the ballclub. i'd expect that he will take away PAs from Monroe, or at least he should. and i know Lawton will play better defense in LF than Monroe. i think a monroe/lawton platoon in LF would work pretty well. or give lawton some PAs as a DH... either way works for me. and if he has nothing left, we'd find that out well before the deadline and would still have the opportunity to look elsewhere.

I have to disagree on Lawton. I suspect he's done.

A low-risk move would be to sign him to a minor-league deal, ala Ruppert Jones years ago.

I just dont like Matt Lawton. I'll agree that getting a patient LHB and an improvement in the outfield on defense would be a huge key to the Tigers continuing their success this year, but I really dont think Lawton is the answer.

obviously i never said that lawton can play the infield. what's the point of having santiago around when you also have infante. both play average defense, so it's not like we're running ozzie smith out there. and what team needs two weak hitting back-up infielders? what we need is a LHB. i like what lawton brings to the ballclub. i'd expect that he will take away PAs from Monroe, or at least he should. and i know Lawton will play better defense in LF than Monroe. i think a monroe/lawton platoon in LF would work pretty well. or give lawton some PAs as a DH... either way works for me. and if he has nothing left, we'd find that out well before the deadline and would still have the opportunity to look elsewhere.

Lawton is not better defensively than Monroe.

Maybe historically, but not right now.

i've seen lawton play twice this season. he's not going to provide any web gems, but he's still an average corner OF. Seattle didn't want to play him in CF. so what? i wouldn't want him in CF for Detroit either. but then again, i don't want Monroe in CF either.

yet Monroe is completely over-rated defensively. he continues to take bad angles on fly-balls. case in point, Wednesday night. Andy Phillips hits a blooper to left-center... in comes Monroe... OVER-RUNNING the play. luckily he was able to knock it down with his bare hand on his way PAST the ball and recover in time to throw Phillips out at 2nd base. the point: Phillips should have never attempted to get to 2nd, except that Monroe is a butcher in the OF. we're just lucky that Monroe has a decent arm, which is the one thing he does bring to the table from a defensive stand-point.

but don't get me wrong, i'm not saying i want Lawton because of his defense (although he is an upgrade to Monroe). i'm just not positive that he's done, and like his patient approach at the plate, which is something we desparately need. considering he has what, 27 ABs for the season? I just don't think you can tell much about a player in that limited of PT. he was a pretty good player as recent as last season, before he was traded to the cubs and then again to the yankees. if someone were to give him some regular PT, maybe he can regain his form. i think lawton is a prime example of a player being labeled a steriod user, and that is why suddenly everyone thinks he is terrible.