grendel

Trade Possibilities

Has anyone else noticed that Daryle Ward is currently sporting a 1.064 OPS, with 5 homers in 56 at-bats for Washington? Should we consider bringing him "back" ??

It was a pretentious question.

No offense to Ed, who is one of the smarter posters on the board and might be trying to be serious with the question, but I took it as a little pretentious as well. Cabrera, at 23, is arguably already one of the 5-10 best hitters in the game regardless of position. When you consider the additional value of his being a 3B-LF, you can probably push his value over some of the hard hitting first basemen ahead of him. Crawford, who I do think is undervalued by some sabers who utilize OPS more than RC, isn't in his league. He's a top 10 LFer with the potential of being a top 5 guy, but he's older, doesn't have close to the OBP-SLG Cabrera has and doesn't have the defensive value (despite being an elite defender in LF.) I don't see any credible argument for Crawford over Cabrera.

-Tony

I guess they would move Guillen to first or third if they picked up Tejada?

You never seem to give any credit to DD or to the fact that the team has been good this year... Yet you are so willing to credit the GM in Toronto, Chicago, etc. I am just wondering if you like anything about DD or the Tigers.

SO you think they should pick up Tejada and move him to third?

BTW sometimes I am not sure if you are a Tigers fan. You never seem to give any credit to DD or to the fact that the team has been good this year... Yet you are so willing to credit the GM in Toronto, Chicago, etc.

I would rather see Guillen move to 3B and have Tejada at SS and enable them to have Inge do the super sub thing.

Well Kenny Williams has gone out and dealt Carlos Lee, he has gone out and dealt for Freddy Garcia at the deadline. He has gone out and dealt for Jim Thome.

I am not going to bother with the rest of your statement because you're just trying to instigate because of what I posted there was no mention of Toronto. A post like yours now is exactly what has gone wrong in this board, always trying to instigate no respect for fellow posters.

Sorry that came out wrong TM. Basically I was trying to get you going to see if you had something you liked about what DD has done. It never seems like you give him any credit for anything.

It wouldn't be bad to see Guillen at 3B instead of Inge. Tejada is a great hitter that would add a lot to the heart of the order.

Sorry that came out wrong TM. Basically I was trying to get you going to see if you had something you liked about what DD has done. It never seems like you give him any credit for anything.

It wouldn't be bad to see Guillen at 3B instead of Inge. Tejada is a great hitter that would add a lot to the heart of the order.

I am sorry I took it the wrong way as well. I just think the time to contend for this team is now since there is no guarantee the future will provide championships that goes for every team as well. With that Ilitch article is he now putting the onus on Dombrowski since Ilitch said that money is no concern?

My problem as Sabretooth knows doesn't have much to do with Dombrowski the baseball person it has more to do with him being a representative of the organization and I think he has done a very poor job in that respect.

Sometimes you just have to ask yourself: What would Rob Parker Say? And then when you read what TM79 has to say, you know the answer.

Not so great minds think alike I guess.

Well Kenny Williams has gone out and dealt Carlos Lee, he has gone out and dealt for Freddy Garcia at the deadline. He has gone out and dealt for Jim Thome.

I think the problem with this scenereo is that Dave has always had to trade with the long-term future of the team in mind. In other words, trade for young, cheap prospects. So far I'd say it's worked. Kenny Williams has been in a position to help a mediocre team get good, and to help a very good team get even better.

Dave hasn't been in that position, so of course he hasn't been making trades like that. It would have been foolish too given the position the Tigers were in. They weren't one or two players away, like the Sox have been.

Now that Dave is in that position, sit back and see what he does. It seems odd to just assume that he wouldn't do something that he's never had a chance to do. Let's see what he does...

I think the problem with this scenereo is that Dave has always had to trade with the long-term future of the team in mind. In other words, trade for young, cheap prospects. So far I'd say it's worked. Kenny Williams has been in a position to help a mediocre team get good, and to help a very good team get even better.

Dave hasn't been in that position, so of course he hasn't been making trades like that. It would have been foolish too given the position the Tigers were in. They weren't one or two players away, like the Sox have been.

Now that Dave is in that position, sit back and see what he does. It seems odd to just assume that he wouldn't do something that he's never had a chance to do. Let's see what he does...

I don't think Dave is even in that position now. Remember Kenny Williams did deal major league players as well. The only deal he dealt youth was the Morse, Reed, Olivo for Garcia, Davis. Olivo was already up with the Sox and had a lot of hype. He dealt Lee for Vizcaino and Podsednik. He then dealt Rowand and a couple prospects for Thome. I almost actually forget the Vazquez deal where he dealt Hernandez, Vizcaino and a very good prospect in Chris Young. Williams has done a tremendous balancing act in dealing solid major league players and good prospects to have a very good team. Look at the Tigers everyday lineup and ask yourself what people would think of some of these everyday players were dealt. There is about a faction of fans that love any player for the most part. Ask yourself as well what people here would think if this team dealt Sanchez maybe their top prospect now? I already see people saying he should be in Detroit and some say he's already better than John Smoltz. I just don't see Detroit have the chips to make a deal.

The question may have been pretentious, but it was to get people to do some research to find out who was the better player. It seems blatant to me that Crawford is incredibly overrated around these parts for whatever reason, and the fact that anybody thinks that Crawford is a better fit for any team than Cabrera, then the point about Crawford's overratedness is made.

Why Howry? I am not sure the Tigers have a huge need in the bullpen unless they are going to get rid of Jones.

Why Howry? I am not sure the Tigers have a huge need in the bullpen unless they are going to get rid of Jones.

Can't have too many bullpen arms. Plus it would probably (hopefully) shove that gas can Colon off the major league roster.

Huff and Howry will be Tigers by July 31st. That's my prediction.

I like the way you think, those are my picks too.

Beck's blog 6/23/06......

Please, no more trade talk

I've been peppered with emails ever since John Kruk speculated that the Tigers should deal Joel Zumaya for John Smoltz. As Jim Leyland put it today: "We're not trading Joel Zumaya. Period."

http://beck.mlblogs.com/

As is.

Also from the Detroit news site:

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060624/SPORTS0104/606240400

Who would actually send e-mails about trading Zumaya? There was never a true chance of that happening.

Who would actually send e-mails about trading Zumaya? There was never a true chance of that happening.

We're talking Mlivers here.:cheeky:

How about Eddie Guardado? He's seemingly fixed his problems, but Seattle stinks and he's a free agent after the year. Plus, in Putz and Soriano they really have no use for him. Oh, and he's a lefty. I think he'd come very cheaply, prospect-wise. Maybe we could send them Ramon Santiago (heh heh heh).

I like Ledezma and Walker in the pen. Unless you think they should go with 3 lefties no need to move for Eddie.

I actually do think they should go with three lefties, though I imagine I'm in the minority on that.

Walker's the LOOGY, pitching to just a batter or two at a time. Ledezma's the long guy, great for relieving a righty (who'd face a lefty-stacked lineup) who makes an early exit. And Guardado's the higher leverage guy who pitches the seventh or eighth if there are multiple lefties. Ledezma might yet fill that role himself, but I'd be happy to have them both, particularly if it's at Grilli's expense.

I wouldn't mind it at all just checkin honestly. I just want good pitchers in the pen. Whether they are lefties or righties it doesn't matter.

I just want good pitchers in the pen. Whether they are lefties or righties it doesn't matter.

Probably better put than my post. I don't neccessarily think they "should" have three lefties, but if there's a chance to nab a good one I wouldn't pass on it because there's certainly room for three of them. I've always like Guardado too.