grendel

Trade Possibilities

I keep hearing that Leyland wants a lefty power hitter. Since, D-Meat isn't stepping up, I did some research. ESPN's rumor central shows these three players as "on the block".

J.T. Snow | 1B

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 210 lbs. | Age: 38

Bats: Left | Throws: Left

Experience: 14 years | 2006 Salary: $2,000,000

AVG .227 | HR 0 | RBI 1 | OBP .393 | SLG .227

Aubrey Huff | 3B

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 231 lbs. | Age: 29

Bats: Left | Throws: Right

Experience: 6 years | 2006 Salary: $6,916,667

AVG .164 | HR 1 | RBI 7 | OBP .271 | SLG .260

Raul Ibanez | LF

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 220 lbs. | Age: 33

Experience: 10 years | 2006 Salary: $4,916,667

AVG .285 | HR 5 | RBI 24 | OBP .333 | SLG .469

Snow has only played first base, but has a nice low salary. He's looking for a starting job, which is not necessarily going to happen with Shelton. I don't see him coming to Motown.

Huff and Ibanez play multiple positions, including 1b, 3b and OF. Tigers could use an outfielder or a solid 3B. I love Inge, but he just isn't performing on a consistent basis like last year.

Ibanez has a mid-range salary and is performing the best at the plate out of these three. He is the likely candidate. What are his chances of wearing a "D" on his chest?

Huff needs to rebound, he's a free agent this winter, he's still playing for a new contract, add that with the fact he can play multiple postions; I like him.

I'd also not mind waitiing to see who else becomes available over the next month or so, but I would love to get a replacement for Dmitri Young - asap.

Inge still has a decent OPS, and his defense has been very good. I would rather see another LH that can play outfield. Ibanez is interesting. I wonder what his contract situation is.

Huff needs to rebound, he's a free agent this winter, he's still playing for a new contract, add that with the fact he can play multiple postions; I like him.

I'd also not mind waitiing to see who else becomes available over the next month or so, but I would love to get a replacement for Dmitri Young - asap.

I would just play Thames, seriously we have nothing to lose there. It can only be better. What do we do with DY? Eat his salary and cut him, replace him with Alexis Gomez or someone.

I would just play Thames, seriously we have nothing to loss there. It can only be better. What do we do with DY? Eat his salary and cut him, replace him with Alexis Gomez or someone.

Thames has been very good this year, but his history indicates that he can't hit RHPs consistently. A decent LH bat would be very useful, even if it's a DH or bench bat.

Thames has been very good this year, but his history indicates that he can't hit RHPs consistently. A decent LH bat would be very useful, even if it's a DH or bench bat.

Would a platoon of Thames and Gomez be better than DY? I would think it would be with the way he is not hitting atm. Does DY have more potential? He use to, but it's very questionable now.

I keep hearing that Leyland wants a lefty power hitter. Since, D-Meat isn't stepping up, I did some research. ESPN's rumor central shows these three players as "on the block".

J.T. Snow | 1B

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 210 lbs. | Age: 38

Bats: Left | Throws: Left

Experience: 14 years | 2006 Salary: $2,000,000

AVG .227 | HR 0 | RBI 1 | OBP .393 | SLG .227

Aubrey Huff | 3B

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 231 lbs. | Age: 29

Experience: 6 years | 2006 Salary: $6,916,667

AVG .164 | HR 1 | RBI 7 | OBP .271 | SLG .260

Raul Ibanez | LF

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 220 lbs. | Age: 33

Experience: 10 years | 2006 Salary: $4,916,667

AVG .285 | HR 5 | RBI 24 | OBP .333 | SLG .469

Snow has only played first base, but has a nice low salary. He's looking for a starting job, which is not necessarily going to happen with Shelton. I don't see him coming to Motown.

Huff and Ibanez play multiple positions, including 1b, 3b and OF. Tigers could use an outfielder or a solid 3B. I love Inge, but he just isn't performing on a consistent basis like last year.

Ibanez has a mid-range salary and is performing the best at the plate out of these three. He is the likely candidate. What are his chances of wearing a "D" on his chest?

Ibanez would be a nice pickup but I don't think he's getting traded now. Maybe at the deadline but he is a decent value for what he produces so the M's probably don't want to move him for nothing. He is very popular in Seattle also.

Would a platoon of Thames and Gomez be better than DY? I would think it would be with the way he is not hitting atm. Does DY have more potential? He use to, but it's very questionable now.

I don't think Gomez can produce consistently at the ML level, even in a platoon situation. His historical power numbers are unacceptably low for a DH. Young would be fine at .800 OPS. Even .750 might be passable. For that reason, I think that he may come around and produce. Who knows, though? He looks absolutely terrible at the moment.

It's hard to see why Ibanez would be listed as "on the block". The Mariners just released Matt Lawton because he couldn't get any playing time behind Ibanez and Ichiro.

Lawton's lefthanded, if you're willing to overlook the fact that he stinks.

It's not as if these are the only three options.

There are other options, more will come -- we can wait, but we need to get a DH replacement, perferbly one that bats left handed, in my opinion - asap.

Any thoughts on who may become available?

I don't think Gomez can produce consistently at the ML level, even in a platoon situation. His historical power numbers are unacceptably low for a DH. Young would be fine at .800 OPS. Even .750 might be passable. For that reason, I think that he may come around and produce. Who knows, though? He looks absolutely terrible at the moment.

Yeah i don't think Gomez is the answer either but I just don't want to see DY any more so I would live with that change.

There are other options, more will come -- we can wait, but we need to get a DH replacement, perferbly one that bats left handed, in my opinion - asap.

I looked at the teams that are holding down the bottom of thier division and I cannot find a single good LF hitter. So I look at TB, they have several decent LH bats and could end up falling way out of contention. Maybe we can get Greg Norton!

I looked at the teams that are holding down the bottom of their division and I cannot find a single good LF hitter. So I look at TB, they have several decent LH bats and could end up falling way out of contention. Maybe we can get Greg Norton!

Inge still has a decent OPS, and his defense has been very good. I would rather see another LH that can play outfield. Ibanez is interesting. I wonder what his contract situation is.

Ibanez just signed an extension through 2008 with Seattle. This seems to contradict the fact that he is available for trade.

I looked at the Pirates, Cubs, Marlins, and Nats. Jacque Jones is really the only guy I would even consider wanting off those teams as far as LH bats go. I would have an interest in Garret Anderson from the Angels but I doubt they trade him.

Who you thinking of?

I looked at the Pirates, Cubs, Marlins, and Nats. Jacque Jones is really the only guy I would even consider wanting off those teams as far as LH bats go. I would have an interest in Garret Anderson from the Angels but I doubt they trade him.

Who you thinking of?

I would rather have Dmitri over Jaque Jones. Jones walks even less than Young does. If we get a lefty bat, I'd rather it be a patient lefty bat than someone who swings at pitches in the dirt.

Ibanez just signed an extension through 2008 with Seattle. This seems to contradict the fact that he is available for trade.

The Mariners are really a terrible organization. Ibanez is still a decent player. But is he the type of talent that warrants an extension, given two years in advance, for his age 35 season?

The Mariners are really a terrible organization. Ibanez is still a decent player. But is he the type of talent that warrants an extension, given two years in advance, for his age 35 season?

Reminds me of what happened with Bobby Higginson.

The M's are really going down hill and making huge mistakes lately.

Adam Dunn!

heh... just kidding. though I would love to have Tree in the Motor City.

Maybe the Reds GM will be as silly as the Cincy fans and decide to get rid of him. :cheeky:

Tony Clark could actually be interesting also..heh. I really don't want Ibanez though.