Corky

Hoffa back in the News!

I've seen the movie twice already, and plan to watch more.  Loved every minute of the movie, it was classic Scorsese.  Watched it at Birmingham 8 Theatre, which was a perfect venue  imo.  I also believe this is probably what happened in the end for Hoffa.  By the way, I enjoyed Pacino's performance very much.  A little over the top, but that's what Hoffa was.

I watched it last night, and liked Joe Pesci a lot.  I also wanted to hear whatever original music Robbie Robertson had written - it's mostly the end credits, it didn't really stand out.  There was another piece of background that he wrote, that was supposed to have Van Morrison vocals, but I could only faintly hear one line.

15 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I watched it last night, and liked Joe Pesci a lot.  I also wanted to hear whatever original music Robbie Robertson had written - it's mostly the end credits, it didn't really stand out.  There was another piece of background that he wrote, that was supposed to have Van Morrison vocals, but I could only faintly hear one line.

I think Scorsese and Robbie were roommates back in the 70s, weren't they?     

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Scorsese and Robbie were roommates back in the 70s, weren't they?     

Yes, Robertson crashed at Scorsese's place for a while in the late '70's, and he worked on the music for Raging Bull and a few others.

Scorsese directed The Last Waltz. Also Derek Trucks played the closing credits song.  

I had to watch it in three separate viewings due to my schedule and I really enjoyed it. It was never boring. Due to the age of the actors, it seems like it was Scorcese throwing them one last bone and it was hard to get over their age at first but the content made it worth it. I think I'll watch it again.

There is a brief documentary out as well with Scorsese, Pepsi, Pacino and De Niro. Very entertaining. It delves a bit into the technically of filming especially with the new technology.

And the challenges of making 70 something men seem like they are in their 40s and 50s

I'm  an hour and some into it and so far the technology isn't distracting to me.... which is the goal I suppose... although I'm far enough in it to see what I expected... Pacino yelling.  He's not persuasive as Hoffa at all.  

I turned it off after an hour.  It wasn't terrible, just not good enough to invest 3 1/2 hours into.  

The scene with De Niro and the grocer did provide great comedic value though.  No CGI on earth could cover up he punches/kicks like an old man.  It looked awful. We laughed pretty hard at that.

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I'm  an hour and some into it and so far the technology isn't distracting to me.... which is the goal I suppose... although I'm far enough in it to see what I expected... Pacino yelling.  He's not persuasive as Hoffa at all.  

I just watched The Irishman.  I thought it was great, but it could have been a lot tighter.   Everything after Hoffa died and the wedding seemed extraneous and anti-climactic.   A major studio would have made Scorsese lose at least an hour on that 3:28 runtime.   I think he could have brought it in at 3:00 and improved it.

• Thanks 1

I'm 2/3 of the way in.... I like it despite the age limitations and Pacino.... 

Notice that Bufalino's wife is Charmaine Bucco from the Sopranos...  mmmmmm.... liked her a lot.

And Hoffa's wife is the babysitter Lois from Goodfellas... my wife spotted that one.

Tony Pro was Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire... and i saw a few others I think from Empire.

53 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I'm 2/3 of the way in.... I like it despite the age limitations and Pacino.... 

Notice that Bufalino's wife is Charmaine Bucco from the Sopranos...  mmmmmm.... liked her a lot.

And Hoffa's wife is the babysitter Lois from Goodfellas... my wife spotted that one.

Tony Pro was Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire... and i saw a few others I think from Empire.

Yes I noticed Lois there, that was pretty cool.

My first thought was "No, she's too old..." then you remember that was probably filmed 30 years ago.....

So what does she do after she hangs up with me? After everything I told her? After all her "yeah, yeah, yeah" bull****? She picks up the phone and calls from the house. Now, if anybody was listening, they'd know everything - they knew a package was leaving from my house - they'd even have the time and flight number, thanks to her.

• Like 1

Scorsese should have had her wear a hat.

Also spotted Gyp Rosetti from Boardwalk Empire, and Beansie from Sopranos.

Watched Irishman yesterday. Really enjoyed it, as expected, but I have no idea how Cruzer could have watched it twice already. Then again, I tend to re-watch only a few movies and I can't think of anytime I re-watched something within a few days.

I wasn't distracted at all by the de-aging of the actors. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but it didn't bother me at all. I was pleasantly surprised by Pesci's restrained performance. He was excellent in this, and deserves to be recognized for it during award season.

One question I had though was what happened to Hoffa's son? He was with them in the car when they picked up Jimmy. You would think he would have spoke up when 

Spoiler

his dad didn't come back out of the house

It's hard for me to rank this above Godfather or Goodfellas, but I really enjoyed it.

10 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Watched Irishman yesterday. Really enjoyed it, as expected, but I have no idea how Cruzer could have watched it twice already. Then again, I tend to re-watch only a few movies and I can't think of anytime I re-watched something within a few days.

I wasn't distracted at all by the de-aging of the actors. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but it didn't bother me at all. I was pleasantly surprised by Pesci's restrained performance. He was excellent in this, and deserves to be recognized for it during award season.

One question I had though was what happened to Hoffa's son? He was with them in the car when they picked up Jimmy. You would think he would have spoke up when 

Hide contents

It's hard for me to rank this above Godfather or Goodfellas, but I really enjoyed it.

They left right after they dropped them off, right?

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

They left right after they dropped them off, right?

Even if that was the case, he would still speak up and say that they dropped off his dad and Frank at this house and he was never seen again, right? I guess I don't see why they would have the son in the car, unless they were going to take him out too.

39 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Reveal hidden contents

Are you talking about Chuckie O'Brien?

That's always been the mystery, whether he was in on it or just kept quiet.

I don't recall his biological son being around that day.

Just now, Oblong said:

Are you talking about Chuckie O'Brien?

That's always been the mystery, whether he was in on it or just kept quiet.

I don't recall his biological son being around that day.

Yes, I was referring to Jesse Plemons' character. I thought he was Jimmy Hoffa's son. He was the one who jumped in at the courthouse with the gun scare, and Jimmy said something about having raised him right, didn't he? I guess if he wasn't actually Jimmy's son, that explains it a little.

That was his surrogate son, like Tom Hagen.... and he's always been a mystery in the disappearance.

I agree the movie didn't make that clear because it threw me off too.  The movie did get a lot of details right as it relates to the book, whether that's accurate is another story, but a lot of small details were carried over.  The bombing of the car took place outside of Nemo's, even though that wasn't actually Nemo's.  And when Hoffa's wife got in the car that was supposed to be teh Teamsters building on Trumbull by Tiger Stadium.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:28 PM, Oblong said:

Scorsese should have had her wear a hat.

Also spotted Gyp Rosetti from Boardwalk Empire, and Beansie from Sopranos.

C'mon.   Bobby Cannavale deserves better than  "Gyp Rosetti from Boardwalk Empire."