Biff Mayhem

Bruce Glass (Billy Ringo)

How depressing. I didn't login for a few days and didn't dig into this thread right away, so I just got the news.

Billy and I barked at each other off and on over the years. Then he said something rude to me and I decided to take it as a joke. Three days later he PMed me apologizing saying it was a joke - glad i didn't put my foot in my mouth as usual - and we had a nice chat after that. Goes to show you how much time we wasted barking at each other....

I get the feeling that in person we would have gotten along swimingly.

I just now got a chance to post. My deepest condolences for Bruce's family and the entire board. He will be missed.

I'm sure there was a long receiving line in Heaven for him. He sat back and watched the Tigers while doing his greetings. Now with some free time he probably took the opportunity to go to his favorite fishing hole.

Heh, yeah, Lloyd was awesome last night. At the game last week I talked with both him and Bruce quite a bit before the game started, and I was equally impressed with Lloyd.

I thought it was pretty cool how Bruce's son-in-law and his daughter recognized some of us off of our forum names.

When they were leaving Lloyd said "See you OBLONG!" The way he said it sounded just like in high school. That was my nickname in school and it was said with authority like that.

What a nice family.

I don't come through here too often and just found out about Billy Ringo's death. I never met him, but we exchanged a few emails. He was a good man, well-spoken, thoughtful, and friendly, and he was a great fan of baseball and the Tigers. I wish we'd run across each other earlier and gotten to know each other better. May God rest his sweet soul.

That video tribute was a heartbreaker. More than ever, I'm sorry that I didn't find the time to make the journey to Holland and meet this fine man. Let that be a lesson to those of you who procrastinate as I do. Sometimes, time runs out.

I remember that Bruce once said that during the savage fighting around Seoul in 1952, an Angel had appeared and led him out of a burning Deuce and a Half that had become a funeral pyre for his comrades.

I'd bet that she was glad to see him again.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, if so I'm sorry. A few years ago in a thread I talked about pocket knives. I always wanted one. My dad has one and he said that I'd get one when I was 9. Anytime something needed unscrewing or cut, out came the knife. I never did get it. Bruce sent me an email asking for my address and he sent me 3 of his old pocket knives, plus some fishing lures. Those knives mean more now that he's gone. They will go to my sons. I gave the fishing lures to a friend who's an avid fisherman.

What an honor for me to have taken the final picture in that tribute of him and Lloyd. I will never forget that.

We were talking about that picture and who had taken it. Excellent job Susan.

A few years ago in a thread I talked about pocket knives. I always wanted one. My dad has one and he said that I'd get one when I was 9. Anytime something needed unscrewing or cut, out came the knife. I never did get it. Bruce sent me an email asking for my address and he sent me 3 of his old pocket knives, plus some fishing lures. Those knives mean more now that he's gone. They will go to my sons. I gave the fishing lures to a friend who's an avid fisherman.

That is so friggin awesome.

Thank you ma'am.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, if so I'm sorry. A few years ago in a thread I talked about pocket knives. I always wanted one. My dad has one and he said that I'd get one when I was 9. Anytime something needed unscrewing or cut, out came the knife. I never did get it. Bruce sent me an email asking for my address and he sent me 3 of his old pocket knives, plus some fishing lures. Those knives mean more now that he's gone. They will go to my sons. I gave the fishing lures to a friend who's an avid fisherman.

How cool is that??

Cruzer1 is susan?......that explains some!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce is dearly missed here! His birthday was May 29, 1929. He would have been 77.

Seeing George Plimpton in "Nixon" today made me think of Bruce. I went to a Lions game (vs. the Vikings) in 2003 with my son, and in the halftime they had a tribute to past Lions players, including Plimpton. George died the following week. I'm sure those two would have a few stories for each other in heaven.

Edit: Here's a post from Bruce after Plimpton's death:

I don't know how many of you remember that far back, but in the middle 1960's Plimpton was a very popular man. He was often in the news, appeared on talk shows, and his particular kind of "personal involvement" in his writing projects practically made his a household name. I think Paper Lion was his best venture and adventure. He did a good job of disappearing from the public eye a little later, and I have not heard of him for years.

Happy Birthday, Bruce. Thanks for sending some sunshine and warm temps today, from up there!

Nothing I've read in a forum has ever bothered me so much. Billy called me one day, and I'll always remember his voice. Sincere and solid. I look forward to seeing him.

I think the "Go Tigers" is not tacky at all. Bruce would have absolutely chuckled and approved.

I have been in Mexico since September. I REALLY wish I had been in Michigan to go the Whitecaps game. Some opportunities never come again.

I spoke with Bruce's brother Lloyd yesterday and although Lloyd didn't see the "GO TIGERS" he said that Bruce would have gotten a kick out of it.

Good job Dave!

Thanks!

At the visitation, there was a pictureboard with all sorts of great pictures of Bruce. Bottom right was a pix taken at the Whitecaps game of a group of us. Any clue how to get a copy? I think it was a film camera picture.

Thanks!

At the visitation, there was a pictureboard with all sorts of great pictures of Bruce. Bottom right was a pix taken at the Whitecaps game of a group of us. Any clue how to get a copy? I think it was a film camera picture.

I am going to see Lloyd next week. I'll ask him about it.