Biff Mayhem

Bruce Glass (Billy Ringo)

As many of you know Bruce passed away Saturday May 13. Visitation will be in Holland, Michigan, Tuesday May 16 from 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm at the the Mulder Chapel Dykstra Life Story Funeral Home, 188 West 32nd Street in Holland. The funeral will be Wednesday May 17 at 1:00 pm at the Central Park Reformed Church in Holland. For more information you can go to www.lifestorynet.com and search for Bruce Glass. Please go there and enter your own remembrances of Bruce for others to see. Soon there will be more info on Bruce and his life.

Thank you for all your kind words about Bruce (Ringo). It makes me happy that he see that he made an impact on so many other people as he did with me. Would you all mind if I put some of these nice comments on the www.lifestorynet.com page under Bruce's name?

John Esch (Bruce's son in-law)

Please do!

I just returned home, signed on and (as is my habit) went straight to this motownsports site, and saw this incredibly sad news.

I know we all will miss this funny, insightful, wise - yet always so down to earth - compatriot.

We have shared emails over these past few years - (exchanging recipes at times! ha) - and he always had kind words for his "Italian friend in NJ". Had it ever been possible, I told Bruce that I would have given him the grand tour at Yankee Stadium - as well as a short tour of parts of NJ that were NOT Newark (which was all he was familiar with - Jersey-wise - and which he jokingly admitted was probably NOT such a good sampling.)

I am so so so happy that he was able to meet a few of his fellow "morons" (and btw, he LOVED the thought of being a card carrying member of the same) at the Whitecap game last week. Thank God that Biff was the right man in the right place at the right time to set this up. I'm doubly sorry now that it was not in the cards for me to attend and meet Bruce in person.

My condolences to the Glass family, most especially the love of his life - his wife PJ.

Rest in Peace, BR.

You will be sorely missed, but remembered with a smile - ALWAYS.

-Sue

Here is his life story:

Bruce Audren Glass was a devoted family man who found his greatest moments of happiness in the company of his family. He was a proud father and grandpa and a loving husband. With his poet's heart and joker's wit, he formed many valuable friendships. His Lord was his guide in life, and Bruce tried each day to follow His noble example.

The year 1929 marked a reversal of fortune for America. After a decade of economic prosperity, the stock market suddenly crashed and the Great Depression spread through the land. In Blendon Township, Andrew Glass and his wife Johana Hemina Gebben maintained their positive spirits by looking toward a different future, the future of their family. They were expecting a child, and on May 29, 1929 they were blessed with the healthy birth of their son Bruce Audren Glass.

The eldest of seven children, Bruce grew up in Blendon Township with companionship of his five brothers and one sister. His father provided for the family through his job at Mead Johnson Chemical Plant in Zeeland. Throughout his childhood, Bruce and his brothers kept themselves busy with chores around the family farm. The Glass family belonged to the North Blendon Christian Reformed Church where Bruce received a spiritual education that would guide him throughout his life.

Following his graduation from Zeeland High School in 1947, Bruce enlisted in the US Army. He was trained as a radio operator, and he served in Korea during the Korean Conflict. After the war ended Bruce remained in the service for two more years, operating out of Japan. Upon receiving his discharge, Bruce traveled to Mexico City and attended Mexico University. He graduated in 1956 with a degree in English.

After finishing college, Bruce returned to the Zeeland, Michigan. In the year 1958 he attended a social function at a friend's house. Here he met an attractive young woman named Phyllis. They easily fell into conversation, and Bruce was smitten with her. That night, he returned home and wrote a poem for her. They began dating, and they were married on September 4, 1958. Bruce and Phyllis were blessed with three wonderful children. Alan was born in 1959, followed by Leah in 1961, Kathleen in 1963, and Elizabeth in 1989.

Throughout his professional life, Bruce always worked in writing and advertising. In 1958, the year of his marriage, he was employed at the Zeeland Record Newspaper. He then took a job at Selling for the Red Book, which dealt with address information for the fruit packing industry. After a few years he relocated to Big Dutchman where he worked in the Advertising Department. At the age of fifty-six, Bruce's writing and travel work came to an abrupt end. He suffered a heart attack, and he could no longer maintain the kind of schedule that Big Dutchman required. For the next six years he worked for Holland Special Delivery as a local driver. His health remained fragile. After heart surgery and several visits to his doctors, Bruce agreed that it would be best to retire.

Bruce was an organizer and a perfectionist. He saw no sense in doing a job if it was not done correctly. He was very well-read, a walking encyclopedia. Bruce was a devoted writer who produced many poems over the years and recently completed a novel about a family during the Civil War. Although he was known for his jokester wit, he was also a highly protective father and husband. Life was black and white for Bruce, and he was conservative in his thinking.

With retirement, Bruce found more time to spend with his family and loved ones. Although his heart condition prevented him from traveling in the style of his youth, he maintained his love for the outdoors. He and Phyllis would often pass an afternoon in their yard, working on the garden and enjoying each other's company. Bruce loved the tranquility of a morning spent fishing. His dogs were always a big part of his life. His most recent companion was named Britney, though he eventually nicknamed her "Maggie." In his later life, Bruce was thrilled to see his family grow with the blessing of three grandchildren, Kyle Daleiden, Karen Glass, and Gerrite Esch. He always saw his family as his greatest accomplishment, and he was very proud of his children and grandkids.

Bruce will be remembered for his devotion to his Lord. He was a spiritual man who talked openly about his faith. An active and longtime member of Central Park Reformed Church of Holland, he served as a Sunday School teacher, a deacon, and an elder. Till the day he died, Bruce sang hymns while he showered. His life was full of reasons for thanksgiving, and each day he gave praise to the Lord for the many blessings in his life.

Among the many people who loved Bruce, he will be deeply missed and fondly remembered.

Bruce died at his home Saturday May 13, 2006. He was preceded in death by Daughter Elizabeth 1989, and Alan Glass in 2005. His family includes wife of 47 years Phyllis Glass of Holland; daughters: Leah and John Esch of Laingsburg, MI., Kathleen Daleiden and Tom Northmore of Holland, MI.; three grand children; Brothers and sister Dale and Janis Glass of Charlevoix, MI., Marilyn and John Cookingham of Paris, MI.; Lloyd and Deanna Glass of Grand Rapids, MI., Gary Glass of Grand Rapids, MI., Ronald and Arlene Glass San Jose, CA; brother-in-law Henry Geurink of Borculo, MI; several nieces, nephews and cousins. Visitation will be 2-4 and 7-9 Tuesday May 16, 2006 at The Mulder Chapel Dykstra Life Story Funeral Home 188 west 32nd Street. Services will be 1pm Wednesday at The Central Park Reformed Church of Holland with the Rev. David Landegent officiating. Burial will be in Noordeloos Cemetery. Memorial contributions maybe made to Central Park Reformed Church or to Hospice of Holland. Please visit Bruce's personal memory page at www.lifestorynet.com where you may sign the guestbook, archive a favorite memory, or post a memorial contribution.

The family has requested that any memorial contributions be made to Central Park Reformed Church or to Hospice of Holland.

I'm still going to purchase a flower arrangement so if any of you are inclined to contribute something to that fund then please send me a PM.

If any contributions exceed the flower fund then I will give them to Hospice of Holland.

Very sad. God Bless him and his family. He was truly a gift to this earth.

This message board was a better place because of Billy. He will be missed more than he could have ever realized. His family is in my prayers. Rest in peace Billy!!

Not much to add to this. I didn't have the pleasure of speaking directly with him that it seems a lot of you did. But I have to imagine that he'd be pretty pleased to see the brotherhood and kinship of the board share stories of him in his honor. It speaks well of Bruce as well as those of you taking the time to share in his honor.

My condolences to the entire family.

He has found his rest, where there is no more tears, death, crying or pain, for the former things have passed away.

I had to change my signature when I read that. I always thought I drove the bandwagon for the Tigers. Billy only let me think so.

Well done good and faithful servant.

To Bruce From Motown Sports Dot Com

By John Pulaski

We came to know Bruce as “Billy Ringo” by way of an internet messageboard. It was a place where the devout Tiger fans would gather daily to talk about baseball, other nonsense, and politics (but then again, aren’t politics and nonsense really the same thing?). Bruce seemed to think so!

For all of the insight shared and the ensuing arguments, we were all there for one reason: we love Detroit Tigers baseball. And there was no bigger love of Tigers baseball than that shown by, as per his self-description “An old man with a bad heart”, Bruce Glass.

Bruce brought with him his wit, his intelligence, his no nonsense advice, and an unmistakable presence. No one with whom he corresponded was the same after. The spryness of some of his contributions led many to disbelieve that he was any older than a youngster fresh out of college.

He has many times been described as the patriarch of the messageboard. A kindly gentleman who I liked to picture finding time for sharing stories of old or throwing a baseball around with a little leaguer. A man who’s reassuring hand reached through a computer monitor and touched the lives of countless people.

We all knew that if this “cyber family” could be so touched by his love and passions that how much more so would that love extend to his real family: his relatives and friends. Bruce spoke highly of his family and his friends and obviously cared about all of them but none so much as his lovely bride P.J.

Many times he mentioned that there was nary a more warm-hearted woman on earth. We knew that behind our wonderful grandfatherly figure had to be an equally, if not greater, kind woman. When I first got married he offered advice on a long marriage. He emphasized finding a woman with a kind heart with whom I liked to talk. It was well received; after all, he proved himself right.

He described his interests as baseball, fishing, dogs, and women. A man after my own heart, I held him in high esteem if not for anything else but that these are the pursuits of a man with the correct priorities!

Long ago the members of the online community branded themselves “morons”. It was a loveable way of bonding together because at the heart of it all we were all rooting for a team that, frankly, stank for many years. We were morons for loving the Tigers and we wore the moniker with a sense of pride.

About a month ago it was arranged to have a group of morons get together for a West Michigan Whitecaps baseball game in a suite. We all knew that Bruce was an integral part of this get together. All of the talk leading up to “the meeting of the morons” was the anticipation of finally meeting the great “Billy Ringo” in real life. It was universal amongst the 20 some odd attendees. The first thing everyone, and I mean everyone, said when they found out that Bruce was attending was “Billy Ringo is going to be there? Awesome!!”.

Bruce didn’t disappoint. It was also universal that meeting him was the highlight of the get-together for everyone in attendance. Everyone’s first comments were regarding how nice it was to finally meet Bruce.

It was almost as if everyone had been in the presence of royalty; well, moron royalty if you will. If Bruce could read these words he’d tell me to stick a sock in it because I was waxing poetic. Is it really waxing poetic if it’s 100% truth? Bruce epitomized the warmly embraced “moron” label by not noticing that a lens was missing from his eye glasses during the whole game.

It’s moments of humility like these that keep us in check and keep the spirit of what being a “moron” alive. Bruce knew humility and humility is birthed by compassion. Bruce’s compassion was well documented in speech and action.

Bruce passed in the midst of one of his favorite activities: talking about the Detroit Tigers. His last minutes were spent with his moron family sharing his well received thoughts on how much the Tigers meant to him. If there is baseball in heaven, and I hope that there is, Bruce is up there sharing his knowledge of the passion that is the game of base with a host of angels.

Bruce will be missed in ways that many will never understand. We carry him with us in our hearts. There will be many times in my life when the sound of a baseball hitting a catcher’s mitt while a warm breeze blows over a baseball diamond will make me smile knowing that “Billy Ringo” would embrace it with the necessary passion that baseball demands.

Bruce Glass: Godspeed you moron.

Biff, this needed to be posted.

You are a good man Biff, and i am sure his family appreciates the friendship that you had with "Billy", And even more for the kind words you have said. Biff Mayhem and Billy Ringo, 2 true all stars I would take on my team anytime.

Wow Biff that was great...

And if no one objects I would be honered to be allowed to make "Billy Ringo" my 2006 Adopt a Tiger.

what can i say biff, today has been an emotional day for me. this is the third time i have read what has been posted about billy. i cry every time. i never met this man, but, i felt like i really knew him.

thank you biff for being a kind soul. billy is smiling down at you in one of his mansions.

Wow Biff that was great...

And if no one objects I would be honered to be allowed to make "Billy Ringo" my 2006 Adopt a Tiger.

I believe we have all adopted Billy Ringo....just as Billy Ringo adopted all of us.

Any chance his Civil War novel was ever published?

He sent it to me for review, but my son was born the same week and I never read it. I will look for it.

Just seeing this now. Started from the beginning of the thread and just finishing up page 3. Reading through this i've gone from sad to admirable of Billy. I've always enjoyed his company on this forum, but reading some more about his life and how he approached it shows that he had it all, and knew it. To Bruce, his family, and friends, my prays go out to you all.

You'll be missed BR. I will miss reading your posts, but I know you are in a better place now and I will keep your family in my thoughts...

A psalm of David.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness

for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk

through the valley of the shadow of death

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD

forever.

Billy will be missed. I never met him other than on the board but even there you could tell he was a good person with a lot of love for everyone around him.

Good bye Billy until we meet again.

I just saw this. I loved the way he could break into any thread with just the right comment. He reminded me of my father. I will miss him.