Biff Mayhem

Bruce Glass (Billy Ringo)

He truly had a presence on this board and was one of my favorite posters.

He seemed to have an ability with words to really convey parts of his personality in even just a few lines within a thread.

I had sent him a simple Merry Christmas PM and true to form he responded with a thoughtful and very kind message with a touch of wisdom.

Glad to have known you Billy!

I didn't really have any communication with him, but I'm still saddened to hear of Bruce's passing...it's really incredible that he passed away while posting on this board, it sounds like he was doing something he loved...my condolences to his family...God Bless

Rest in Peace Billy Ringo. You're one of the good guys. The baseball's probably better where you're at. Keep rootin' for the Tigs.

I honestly don't know what to say. It's just..unbelieveable.

God needed a great man up there. My prayers and condolences so to Billy's family.

May the Lord bless his family in this time of their lives. Thank you Billy for all your wonderful contributions.

Like DTroppens said, I've got a batch of Bruce PM's that'll never be removed from my inbox, so help me God.

Here are a few memorable things he wrote to me via PM:

This first one was in reply to a little note I sent him, telling him a bit about the heart clinic he was scheduled to come to later this month (he hadn't been to it before, and since I work there, I thought he might appreciate to get a bit of an 'inside scoop' on the place before he came there for the first time).

OK buddy. This is great. I have a down-to-earth cardiologist in Dr. Cronin, and a reliable advocate on the the records and gofer staff. I feel better and better about this whole deal.

This, was a comment he made, about how he hoped that our meetings didn't consist of him showing up at the heart clinic often, and instead to have them be out in the "normal world."

We gotta quit meeting like this.

And then this, which was his last PM to me, on Wednesday. This makes me think that he knew his time might be running short.

I am trying to get to see Dr. Finta earlier than May 30 if possible. I called the GR office this p.m. I talked to a woman, I do not remember her name, but she was sort of the sub. for the woman who regularly handles his scheduling. She said she has put me on the cancellation list, so if there is an earlier opening, I might possibly get it. I know this may sound crazy because 5/30 is only 3 wks. away, but I do want that ICD, the sooner the better.

I'm sorry we never got to meet again, Bruce. You'll have no idea how much I was looking foward to stopping by and saying hello to you when you were in the office later this month.

I don't have anything to say that hasnt always been said. Just a sad day, and a poster who was definitly loved and will be greatly missed.

I only talked to Billy for a few minutes at the game, but I found him to much the same as he is online: the perfect mix of wise-old-man and crotchity-old-man. He's one of the original Motown Morons and one of the guys who gave this place a soul. I'll miss him.

Every once and while a person comes along that impacts your life. I think Billy was that person. Sure the subject was for the most part Baseball. But, so what? His post went beyond the game. He was more of a Father/ Big Brother figure.

I don't know that we will see his kind again on these boards or on any other.

Prayer for his family & friends.

this something my mom wrote down on a small piece of paper just weeks before she passed away.

I expect to pass through life but once

If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show,

or any good thing I can do to any fellowbeing,

let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it,

as I shall not pass this way again.

William Penn

today is weighing heavy on my heart as it is my first mother's day without my mom and because of the passing of a great man Billy Ring (Bruce)

I'm so glad I got the chance to meet him at the Whitecaps game! I wish I would have spent more time with him there!

I'm thankful for having had the chance to get to know Billy Ringo!

I'm praying God's blessing on the whole family!

I didnt know Bruce that well but seeing how he touched all your lives says everything about him as a Tiger fan and as a man. Farewell Billy Ringo.

I never met Bruce in person. That was my loss.

I first met him on the 'net back on the old 'Official' Tiger site, which evolved into this one. His knowledge of baseball, love of fly fishing, kindness, abundant common sense, and his love for his family immediately grew on me to the point that at age 50 he became a mentor to me. l often sought his advice on topics ranging from where to look for morels to heartbreak, and he never let me down.

And he made me laugh. We e-mailed fishing stories frequently. Once when I asked him what he'd caught, He replied 'The fish got away clean. But I'm now the proud owner of a cold, wet, wrinkled azz. That water was deeper than it looked'.

Bruce never minced words and had a quiet dignity about him than few men do. He never boasted of his exploits, and believe me, he had many, especially as an outdoorsman.

He served his country in combat during the Korean war, came home after that bitter conflict, raised a family, and if I had any sense of the man, he was more comfortable in his own skin than most people that I know. He lived a full life and was loved by many. We should all be so lucky.

God speed, Billy Ringo. I'm a better person for having known you.

I said to him in an e-mail just the other day:

Have I noticed that Mr. Bruce Glass has been rather giddy since Saturday?

He relied with:

Oh yes. For a guy who is partially disabled and rarely gets out, it was a great day. I haven't had such a pleasant day in a long, long time. You know that I live with the heartbreak of my son's death every day, and nearly every minute. So an outing like that, with a group of really "Good Guys" was bound to produce giddiness.

I didn't get a chance to reply with "We were giddy to meet you too".

I didn't get a chance to reply with "We were giddy to meet you too".

I doubt it was necessary. He knows.

Biff, I just want to say I have a lot of respect for how you reach out to guys like Bruce. Downplay your role all you want Biff, but we should all spend more time with "The Greatest Generation", like you have. I'm going to take my dad out camping and fishing sometime in the next month. He is 79, so my opportunites are beginning to narrow with him. Maybe each of us should try to do something like that a few times a year, as time allows ... It's tough to do in this day and age, but both parties sure do benefit from it !!

today is weighing heavy on my heart as it is my first mother's day without my mom and because of the passing of a great man Billy Ring (Bruce)

My thoughts and prayers are for you. You have received a lot of wisdom and enlightenment from your friends and loved ones. As long as you continue to share that, then your loved ones never die.

To Bruce and his family: Thank you for sharing Bruce with us the last 6 years or so. I really don't know what to say. I had the chance to speak to Bruce a couple times on the phone and I could tell that he was a simple and gentle man. And when I use the word "simple", I mean that in the best possible way. Simple in the sense that his greatest joy was in being a dedicated family man who liked baseball.

The teams Bruce gets to see play now includes everyone from Ty Cobb to Babe Ruth to Kirby Puckett. That's a heck of an outfield to watch. Only the best from here on out for Bruce and his alter-ego, Billy Ringo.

He meant more to me than merely a faceless guy on an Internet message board. He helped me through a tough period in my life and he leaves a lasting impression on me and I assume everyone he touched via the Internet. He told me he actually printed a copy of a poem I wrote about Tiger Stadium and saved it. I couldn't believe it. Someone taking some words I wrote and printing a copy of those words. I was, and still am, genuinely touched by that simple gesture. I have never had a bigger compliment paid to me.

His spirit lives on through everyone he touched here and I will never, ever forget Bruce. He will always be a part of me. He may be gone, but thanks to the Internet, his spirit is a part of more people than you could ever possibly know. So, in that spirit and that sentiment I add this brief little rhyme I wrote upon rising this morning that I hope expresses to Bruce and his family that while we no longer have a physical presence of Bruce, he IS still with us in a way that is just as meaningful. He is a part of our souls......

Now we bring the curtain down

On a man and his life.

How do we express our sorrow

To his children and his wife?

Through my tears I write these words

As night becomes dawn.

This thought just occured to me

You know he really isn't gone.

No, Bruce isn't gone. Rest assured, he's alive and well. I'm sure of that. Thank for to Bruce's family and most of all, thank you, Bruce. For everything.

I got this a while back, I shall forever cherish it.

Billy Ringo

MotownSports Fan Join Date: Apr 2002

This is a first...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First time I have sent you a note. I speak here in regard to your thread about Kwame and the Poof's funeral. You are 100 percent correct. It appears, and very clearly, that Kwame is only interested in his own pleasures and wealth. Not one thing other than that.

Biff tells me that he hopes you will be at the Whitecaps game on May 6. I am pretty sure I will be there. I do look forward to meeting some of the Motown Sports people.

I wish I could have made the game, God Bless you my Friend.

wow i am just shocked and sadden .... what a great guy he was... always had an interesting take on every subject.... this board is going to be worse off without him :(

As many of you know Bruce passed away Saturday May 13. Visitation will be in Holland, Michigan, Tuesday May 16 from 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm at the the Mulder Chapel Dykstra Life Story Funeral Home, 188 West 32nd Street in Holland. The funeral will be Wednesday May 17 at 1:00 pm at the Central Park Reformed Church in Holland. For more information you can go to www.lifestorynet.com and search for Bruce Glass. Please go there and enter your own remembrances of Bruce for others to see. Soon there will be more info on Bruce and his life.

Thank you for all your kind words about Bruce (Ringo). It makes me happy that he see that he made an impact on so many other people as he did with me. Would you all mind if I put some of these nice comments on the www.lifestorynet.com page under Bruce's name?

John Esch (Bruce's son in-law)

I apologize for posting so late on this. I did not have as much interaction with Billy Ringo as some of you, but I truly enjoyed his insights to baseball and life. Like many many other posters here, he at times seemed like an excited child, but then would also temper that excitement with wisdom, often times in the very same thread.

You know, its hard to come up with fitting words. I wish I could have known him better, just as I wish I could know a lot of you better.