Biff Mayhem

Bruce Glass (Billy Ringo)

Last week when we met at the Whitecaps game I think the person that everyone wanted to meet was Bruce (Billy Ringo). It seemed I heard a few people say they couldn't wait to meet him when they finally talked to him at the game. I know I certainly was in that group. More than anyone else I wanted to see and talk to. He's always been a favorite.

He came up to me and said I was always a friend of his on the board and a longtime favorite and he remembered I was the first to introduce him to the board. You know I had no clue. I've done that with a few people but more often it was just to say hi and make people feel comfortable here. But Billy definitely became one of my favorites. We used to exchange PMs quite often but stopped doing it. Talking to him at the game was a blast and this week we started PMing again.

At the game he told was talking to me about being born on a farm and I quickly said "I was born in a hospital. He quickly told me he REALLY was born on a farm.

We were all lucky to meet him last week and I think we all realized that on that day. Now we really understand how lucky he was. Anyone who ever read his posts over his time here realize that he wasn't one of the class acts on the board - HE WAS THE CLASS ACT ON THE BOARD. He was never a moderator. But he really knew how to establish a tone and calm things down with a pretty nifty comment or flavor to a thread. Man, he was good at that. There were times he left for awhile and you'd think about what was wrong and hope nothing was wrong. Then he'd come back and you'd get back into that mode that all of us here are eternal and would be posting forever. This week he seemed to be full of life here. You read how he was posting to people a ton. He was full of a ton of life at the game. He absolutely loved it and that was readily evident. It makes me think maybe the last week or so he was at peace with himself and his life and whatever happened, happened. Through that game, his posts on the board and his PMs to everyone here in the last week, he really made sure he left with a bang with us. God, I'm glad he thought it important enough to send me a few of those PMs and talk to me at the Whitecap game. I would've been awfully upset if I never personally met Bruce. And now while I was already hoping to meet him once again at another time, I'm glad I got a chance to treasure the one time I did meet him.

I've known people much better than Bruce, but there's no question what he brought to this board and finding out he was even a much better man in person than his kind image on the MB, he's going to stand out in my life as one person I'll sorely miss. It's hard to believe this may be one of those times he just doesn't post for a few weeks and then comes back. This really is it. But while I'm upset he's gone, I'm really glad he graced us with his presence for the time he was here. The guy was truly one of the cool guys I've known in my lifetime and I'm glad I can call him a friend.

I'm sorry I can't make it to the funeral. If anyone does, can you please say a small prayer for me while you are there. I truly would appreciate that. Also, maybe we should post an address for any donations he wanted to be made for some charity. I'd be more than happy to send at least a few dollars to it in his honor.

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to Bruce's family. You have our deepest sympathy.

May the God of all comfort be the source of your strength.

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)

God's team just signed the best free agent available!

What a great man. My favorite poster on this board. Oftentimes he would send me PMs telling me "I agree with you, well said" and always patting me on the back. The other times he say something like "I think you should temper that with the common sense you normally had. I can see you were angry but...."

Bruce will be missed around these parts. We will all never be the same.....because #1 he taught us all how to be a class act, and because we will no longer have the sensible, funny man to lead us all!

I personally will miss him greatly. Sometimes I liked to think of him as the man my father would've been if my dad would've lived this long!

Rest in Peace my friend!!

God's blessings on Bruce's family - if we miss him this much, they must too miss him greatly.

I just saw his last post on the Tiger board. It made me very sad. He had a greater understanding of life than any of us here. Anyone who read his posts learned a lot about life. We are very fortunate to have had him here.

eastsidebillee,

I usually let Bruce PM me and then I would respond back and start a small conversation. We did this quite a bit when he first joined the board and then quit for a very long time. Still we understood we were friends. That never changed. With last week's game it seemed like we started up that a bit again this week. I'm glad we did - even if it was only a few PMs back and forth.

I can't write anything that would match what he deserves. We've exchanged emails over the years and he was very bright and poetic. He gave good advice on how to approach life which we all witnessed. I once said that when I grow up I wanted to be just like him. Last Saturday turned that from half a joke into something 100% serious. He had the perfect mix of intelligence in terms of being well read (his last note to me described his readig over the winter, all 19th century pieces), cultured, real world experience, and just plain common sense. I bet he would fit in where ever you put him. Whether its at a biker bar with a dirt floor and dog in the corner, a wine tasting event, a meeting of english professers discussing Faulkner, and a room full of sports fans who think they know everything. We know the last one is definately true.

My son is here with me and I just told him that the old guy we met last week that looked like his pa died today. He said "oh", was sad for a minute, and then went to play with some baseball cards I bought for him this morning. I think Bruce would have liked that. I could see him writing "5 year olds need to worry about important things like baseball and not some old fart with a bad ticker"

Bruce, I'm sorry I never replied to your last note. I glad I got to know you beyond the keyboard, even if it was just for a few hours.

This is what Bruce wrote to me once last fall and I think it's fitting here:

"I am glad that I came across the Motown message board a few years ago, mostly because of the good cyberfriends I have made. I know I am quite a bit older than most of you, and have a different mindset. But still I can relate and it helps to keep me young.

I close with a fragment of an old poem I came across yesterday:

"Be kind to thy father,

For when thou wert young

Who loved you so fondly as he?

He caught the first accents

That fell from thy tongue

And joined in thy innocent glee."

Hope you have a dad like that, and I hope you are that dad to your kids. (smilie goes here).

The only thing wrong with what he wrote there is that there's no longer a need to put "cyber" in "cyberfriends"

I'm very sad to hear of Bruce's passing, and it's fitting that he passes away posting to this board. It was obvously his joy and passion, and it must have be the best way to go out of this world, doing the thing you love best. We should all be so lucky.

I hope he is being well taken care of, and his passion for Tiger baseball serves him into eternity.

I love his signature. It is so right, and is the straightforward wisdom of a renaissance man who has thought many great things. Coming to that conclusion must have struck him as the greatest thought he ever had.

God bless him.

Chuck

So, so sad. Bruce was by far the best writer here. He was truly an old man with great persepctive and a great take on life. He never pushed it or forced it on you, it came out through him being him.

Like I said he was an excellent writer as well. His posts always carried a good weight and emotion. Again, not in a forced way. Even when he reported the death of his son a few months back he did it in a way that showed how deeply it hit him without ever saying so. He was just an amazing communicator.

We emailed and pm'd on many occasions. He sent me the greatest note when my daughter was born and always remembered little things about your life that made you feel like he really cared about you. Which means it was just great when he was around.

He was a big Emmylou Harris fan too. Like I said. He was a wise old man.

For anyone who cares, here was his last pm to me.

I've been posting pretty regularly lately. Did you not notice the efforts I've been making to get something started between you and Hongbit. I do not know him, but the guy cracks me up. My health? Well, I've had problems recently and I don't do a lot physically. I am looking forward to getting a new pacemaker/defribulator implant in May or June. It may provide a better quality of life. I am enjoying Baseball no end. I love it when the Tigers win. At times like that I don't even hate Cleveland so much. The Wahoos do have a hitting team, oh yah. I am a secret Grady Sizemore fan. On May 6 Biff has invited me and my brother to a suite at the Whitecaps game. Biff says Troppens, Melissa and MWG may be there. I wish he had invited you.

Thats really sad. He sent me a pm not yesterday, youll be glad to know he said that the message board gave him a great amount of pleasure.

he wrote this:

I am just wondering where you are located. I am an old guy, living in Holland, Michigan. I am slightly disabled and so this message board gives me a lot of pleasure.

I have not noticed any of your posts on the board before, although now I see that you have made way over 300 of them. So I guess it's kind of late to say welcome aboard.

This is another reason, and the biggest for the Tigers to make it back to the playoffs!

His posts will be missed truely on the board.

We'll miss you "Billy"!

My last PM to him had something to do with what I thought he'd look like and how wrong my impression was and really it was more similar to what his brother's appearance was. It wasn't anything huge. But you can bet I'll never delete that PM if I can help it.

Over the years I've deleted most of my PMs that are pretty old. I really wish I kept the ones Billy Ringo sent me. I only have sketching remembrances what they were about.

Oblong,

That was a fantastic post.

I am enjoying reading everyone's posts about Billy Ringo. Even in death, it's never too late to learn more about a friend.

very sad to hear. My thoughts are with his family and it looks like he thought of the board as an extended family of sorts. Glad he could spend his last moments with family.

i never had the pleasure of meeting bruce (billy ringo), but, he was so kind to give me his spot when members of this community met up at a tiger game. i went in his place. he picked me, for what reason i never knew. i was honored to be there for him. i am in shock right now, life is precious. it sounds as though bruce enjoyed life no matter what set backs he encountered.

no more pain and suffering bruce. i will miss you.

Congratulations to Bruce on a long life, wonderfully lived.

This is the correct way to look at today's loss.

In light of the unimaginable horror and tragedy that Billy (sorry, but I never knew him as 'Bruce'...he'll always be Billy -- and for a while there, Bruno -- to me) and his family experienced just a few short months ago, this is indeed a time to celebrate a life rather than simply grieve. We can all be thankful that this was a man blessed with a long enough life to discover this board and bring a small slice of happiness to our lives every day. And as others have mentioned, I'm quite sure that such happiness was returned to him tenfold here.

It's almost impossible to believe that Billy passed away while posting to this board. This message board was actually witness to a man's death.

More than that, we were witness (in some small part) to a few great years of that man's life. Even in light of a seemingly depressing piece of news, that is something to truly be cheerful about.

This is truly a shock to me. Bruce (Billy Ringo) was passionate about his beliefs...and his knowledge, experience, and passion will truly be missed. I wish I had had the opportunity to meet him and talk with him in person... as many on the board have. Thanks OMF for posting the picture.

He left every member of MotownSports a better person for knowing him...and I wish his family and all the board members who called him a friend the best in this difficult time.

I have always had a great deal of respect for Billy, and am shocked to hear of his passing. Seeing him in the posted picture he looks very much like my grandfather. That's how I always saw him, as the wise grandfather of this board.

May the Lord be with Bruce's family as they travel through this difficult time. Revelation 21:4 says, "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Jon

I was posting in that thread during Bruce's last post, and at first I thought someone had jumped onto his PC and was hoaxing us. As the realization of what was actually happening set in, it felt like all the blood had drained from my body.

It's comforting to know that on his final day with us mortals, Bruce was someplace where he felt so at home, and with friends, even if it was just an old keyboard.

Here's one of his recent posts - it's typical of his terrific sense of humor:

"Stay away from tattoos! They make it too easy to identify you should you decide to go into crime on a professional, full-time basis."

Something tells me I would have really enjoying fishing with this guy !!

Why did Bruce use Billy Ringo as his I.D. Does anybody know that?

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?p=553845&highlight=Billy+Ringo#post553845

I have told this story before. When we were kids, about 7 or 8 years old, my cousin Howard and I would play "cowboys and indians" or "good guys, bad guys." I always wanted to be the bad guy because I thought good guys were sissies. He would be Tom Mix (a popular radio-show cowboy of the thirty's) and he called me Billy Ringo. The good guy, Howard, died of cancer about four years ago. He never smoked, never drank, but he got cancer anyway.

I was hoping this was a joke. Truely a shame. I'm at a loss of words. He was a true big part of our MotownSports family. Although he is gone physically, he's still around spiritually. Let us be thankful he's off somewhere alot better.

Well, I'm happy the Tigers brought him a win tonight. And I think he will be thrilled if the Tigers could be in 1st place when he's laid to rest. We miss you Billy, hope you enjoyed the game!

Book of Revelation - Chapter 21

1 I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth have passed away, and the sea is no more.

2 I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready like a bride adorned for her husband.

3 I heard a loud voice out of heaven saying, "Behold, God's dwelling is with people, and he will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

4 He will wipe away from them every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; neither will there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more. The first things have passed away."

This is horrible news! My condolences and prayers go out to his family! Bruce was a great guy who showed us all how much baseball and being a part of this forum meant to him! He will be terribly missed!