DET Mr Malefic

How do the '06 Tigers compare?

At the request of Mr. Mayhem, I've created a seperate thread for this. I'm going to try to update it daily but if not (because I get lazy sometimes) a little help from the more Elias Sports Bureau type posters would be appreciated:

'06 Tigers - 12-7, 2nd place, 1.5 behind Chicago

After 19 games.......

4/27/05 - 9-10, 3rd place, 5.5 behind Chicago

4/25/04 - 11-8, 3rd place, 1.5 behind Minnesota

4/23/03 - 2-17, 5th place, 13.5 behind Kansas City

4/23/02 - 4-15, 5th place, 8.5 behind Minnesota

4/25/01 - 5-14, 5th place, 10 behind Minnesota

Last time in sole possession of second place or higher after 19 games......

4/27/93 - 13-6, 1st place, 1.5 ahead of Toronto

On BT, Gammons just said Tigers will be a presence in September. That's praise! That's positive!:happy:

On BT, Gammons just said Tigers will be a presence in September. That's praise! That's positive!:happy:

You don't hear that everyday, thats for sure.

Yeah he said they would be a contender come labor day...

Gammons really pulls for the Tigers though. I think he is pretty close to a fan. Its not a huge surprise given they are one of the traditional teams.

I will never forget how fervently he defended the Tigers against Harold Reynolds and his wish to contract them.

What a fantastic idea for a thread! :silly:

I will never forget how fervently he defended the Tigers against Harold Reynolds and his wish to contract them.

Short of Joe Morgan, Harold Reynolds is the most unprepared and unknowledgable broadcaster in sports.

Short of Joe Morgan, Harold Reynolds is the most unprepared and unknowledgable broadcaster in sports.

I disagree....ESPN just over-exposes him. When they used him in the College World Series last year, working on showing fundamentals, plays, and other inside things about game action, he was great. he gets exposed on Baseball Tonight, because he's just not that good on camera and rolling with the flow of the show.

I think he has a bad sense of history, but not a bad sense of baseball.

I disagree....ESPN just over-exposes him. When they used him in the College World Series last year, working on showing fundamentals, plays, and other inside things about game action, he was great. he gets exposed on Baseball Tonight, because he's just not that good on camera and rolling with the flow of the show.

Harold Reynolds does his best work at the Little League World Series.

I think Reynolds would be very good if they sent him to games to be the on the field reporter, with more talk/specials about positioning in the IF/OF etc. Like microline said he is excellent at that stuff.

As for analysis, which is what the BBT format is more geared for.... (at least it is more analysis than what ESPN usually does....) he is poor. He doesn't have a sense of baseball history and I don't think he really understands the overall GM perspective of the game.

DET Mr Malefic - thanks for doing this. It's interesting and will be nice to track. '01-'03, man those are some painful memories.

Just to chime in, I hated Reynolds for 2 years as I was watching BT the night he suggested contracting the Tigers but I do think he's pretty good at his job. He's strong on breaking down hitters and fielders but weak in baseball history as people mention.

Yeah he said they would be a contender come labor day...

Gammons really pulls for the Tigers though. I think he is pretty close to a fan. Its not a huge surprise given they are one of the traditional teams.

I get the feeling a lot of the national media are pulling for Detroit. There is the element of it being a traditional franchise, but more than anything I think they are pulling for a good story. The Tigers would fit that bill nicely. There is the grizzled veteran manager coming out of retirement to restore a franchise to glory angle. There's the development of the young arms. There's the whole Chris Shelton rule 5 pick thing. There are the stories about the long suffering fans and the disaster that was 2003.

Add in the fact that I don't think anybody really hates the Tigers because they've been so bad for so long.

As for Gammons specifically, I think he is a fan. He's a fan of Dombrowski, and he appears to like Leyland as well. I like Gammons. He gets blasted because many of his rumors don't come to fruition, but I don't think he's just throwing stuff out there. He's reporting the rumors that he's hearing, which is his job.

When they used him in the College World Series last year, working on showing fundamentals, plays, and other inside things about game action, he was great.

I actually think most of the analysts are very good at talking about the action on the field. When they try to interpret things, they run into trouble. These guys know a lot more about what's happening on the field than most of us do. Tell us what a batter or fielder is doing right or wrong but don't try to explain to us the importance of productive outs in winning pennants..

I love both those guys. They may be my two favorites. Amazing.

As for Gammons specifically, I think he is a fan. He's a fan of Dombrowski, and he appears to like Leyland as well. I like Gammons. He gets blasted because many of his rumors don't come to fruition, but I don't think he's just throwing stuff out there. He's reporting the rumors that he's hearing, which is his job.

I think Gammons is a good analyst with a solid understanding of the game and its' history. He is just not good at ESPN soundbites. When given the chance to talk at great length about the game, I think he is excellent.

Gammons has a soft spot for Detroit. Always has. He's always talked about what a great baseball town it is and compared it to St. Louis in that regard.

I think Gammons is a good analyst with a solid understanding of the game and its' history. He is just not good at ESPN soundbites. When given the chance to talk at great length about the game, I think he is excellent.

I respect Peter Gammons knowledge of baseball, but he reminds me of Pat Summerall, He makes you want to sleep when he starts to talk!

I love both those guys. They may be my two favorites. Amazing.

I'm supposed to hate Morgan because I'm a saber but I like him.

Like Morgan and Reynolds. Can't stand McCarver. Buck Martinez really annoys me too, maybe it's just that whinny voice of his.

Jon Miller is wonderful at play x play. Perfect voice for it.

Honestly, Gammons is a closet Tiger fan I think, he's always seems to be very optimistic about the Tigers.

Bingo. I've liked what I've seen of him during game coverage as well.

I'm supposed to hate Morgan because I'm a saber but I like him.

I'm suppose to be old school and I can't stand him. Funny how this all works ain't it? :grin:

'06 Tigers - 12-8, 2nd place, 1.5 or 2.5 behind Chicago (game tied at 3 in 10th inning)

After 20 games.......

4/27/05 - 10-10, 3rd place, 5 behind Chicago

4/27/04 - 11-9, 3rd place, 2 behind Minnesota

4/24/03 - 2-18, 5th place, 14.5 behind Kansas City

4/24/02 - 4-16, 5th place, 9.5 behind Minnesota

4/25/01 - 6-14, 5th place, 9 behind Minnesota

Last time in sole possession of second place or higher after 20 games......

4/27/93 - 13-7, 1st place, 1.5 ahead of Boston & Toronto

'06 Tigers - 16-9, 2nd place, .5 or 1.5 behind Chicago (game tied at 2 in 3rd inning)

After 25 games.......

5/3/05 - 12-13, 3rd place, 6.5 behind Chicago

5/2/04 - 13-12, 3rd place, 2.5 behind Minnesota/Chicago

5/1/03 - 3-22, 5th place, 14 behind Kansas City

4/30/02 - 8-17, 5th place, 7.5 behind Chicago

5/2/01 - 10-15, 3rd place, 8.5 behind Minnesota

Last time in sole possession of second place or higher after 25 games......

5/4/93 - 16-9, 1st place, 1 ahead of New York

Current Pace: 104-58