A.J.K.

Don Kelly in hospital

http://beck.mlblogs.com/

April 20, 2006

Kelly injured - by relay throw

I've never heard of an injury happening this way, but Don Kelly is in a Charlotte hospital after being hit by a throw. Not a pitch, but a relay throw from right fielder Ryan Ludwick during the Mud Hens loss. Here's the detail from The Blade in Toledo:

The injury to Kelly came on the two-run single by Lopez. Ludwick's throw from right hit Kelly squarely in the back of the head.

"I believe he thought Ryan was going to throw the ball to home plate," Parrish said. "He took a pretty good hit."

Kelly was taken to a Charlotte hospital for observation and his status is day-to-day.

Josh Phelps was involved in another bizarre play, being ejected for arguing Jack Hannahan being picked off, but that's a whole story.

Posted on April 20, 2006 at 12:55 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Man, I really hope Don is okay. If anyone has any more info or updates on this, please post it.

That actually happened tonight to one of the kids on my brothers school team. Our baserunner just got to second the SS had the ball on the grassline of the infield/outfield threw it to first for the out and nailed our runner in the helmet. He was fine the kid on first yelled "way to use your head".

Anyway...Poor DK if anyone hears anything please update.

I don't know what is more upsetting, the injury/injuries or people making jokes about people getting injured. I think the jokes are in poor taste. I hope all is better with kelly and hope for a speedy recovery.

I remember during little league, our 3rd baseman hit our pitcher in the neck with his throw to first during warmups. It actually moved me up a day to pitch so I was stoked

April 20, 2006

Spurling sent out; Kelly OK

Jordan Tata is sticking with the big club for now. The Tigers optioned Chris Spurling to Toledo to make room for Todd Jones to be activated from the DL. It wasn't the expected move, but Rodney's move back to setup and Joel Zumaya's emergence already this season meant the Tigers have stronger options right now in the seventh and eighth innings.

Updating Don Kelly's situation, Tigers head trainer Kevin Rand said he's OK but he'll miss a few days. It doesn't sound like he was in the hospital long.

Posted on April 20, 2006 at 11:35 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)

A new meaning to hitting the cutoff man.

Ah, that's nothing. In little league, my brother tried to throw (from the "dugout") a ball out to the RF for the preinning throw around and nailed our 1B in the back of the head.

I don't know what is more upsetting, the injury/injuries or people making jokes about people getting injured. I think the jokes are in poor taste. I hope all is better with kelly and hope for a speedy recovery.

One man's poor taste is anothers humor. This model has made Matt Parker & Trey Stone very wealthy. While I thought that Truth's joke was funny, it will be tame compared to some of the nicknames his own teammates give him in the clubhouse once he returns to action.

Wow! You would need eyes in the back of your head to avoid this blow. A friend of mine saw a woman get hit in the temple by a golf ball. She died within the hour.

HONGBIT: You have a great sig. Wish I had thought of it, but then, it is more apropos to your elegant style.

Oh so long ago in HS I was the guy back blocking for the punter and the idiot kicked a low line drive that hit me in the back of the helmet and went straight back to him, at which time he got crushed. When we watched the films (they used real movie film then) on Monday everybody had a great laugh. I was so stoked to hit one of the on-coming guys that I wasn't aware I had been hit.

I played on a team for Sterling Heights rec ball when I was 14. On the very first day of practice for my new team I was in left field and I'd just fielded a grounder hit to me and our assistant coach (the head coach's son) was on the mound pitching BP. Right after I picked up the ball I threw it right back in...only as soon as I let the ball go I realized he was looking the opposite direction and it pelted him in the back of his head. He wasn't injured too seriously but needless to say it was an awkward year. Ack!