redshark63

2006 Erie Seawolves Diary

http://ww.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/....LL01/608280394

Trenton Thunder (74-60) at Erie SeaWolves (58-75)

Today-Thursday, 7:05 p.m.

Pitching matchups:

Today: Erie RH Virgil Vasquez (7-11, 4.03) vs. Trenton RH Matt DeSalvo (3-4, 6.48)

Tuesday: Erie RH Eulogio De La Cruz (5-6, 3.43) vs. Trenton RH Philip Hughes (9-3, 2.35)

Wednesday: Erie RH Jair Jurrjens (4-3, 3.36) vs. Trenton RH Francisco Butto (1-2, 3.43)

Thursday: Erie LH Jon Connolly (3-4, 6.14) vs. Trenton RH Matt Childers (2-3, 4.37)

Trenton notes: Trenton has remained in first place in the Northern Division since overtaking Portland in early August. ... The Thunder began the season 0-10 and 1-13. ... Trenton broke a three-game losing streak Sunday with a 9-6 win at Akron. ... Trenton is 41-26 at home and 33-34 on the road this season. ... Right-hander Philip Hughes, a top Yankees prospect, is 7-0 with a 1.14 ERA over his past 13 starts. ... Right-hander Tyler Clippard(12-10, 3.50), who no-hit Harrisburg two weeks ago, has gone 10-1 in his past 14 starts. ... Thunder first baseman/designated hitter Randy Ruiz was selected last week to the Eastern League postseason all-star team. Ruiz, 28, ranks first in the league in homers (24), is tied for first in RBIs (79), second in doubles (33), third in slugging percentage (.538) and eighth in hitting (.293).

Erie notes: The SeaWolves completed their last road trip of the regular season Sunday with a rainout at Binghamton. The game will not be made up. Erie went 3-4 on its final road trip, losing two of three games at Trenton and splitting a four-game series at Binghamton. ... The SeaWolves end their regular season with an eight-game homestand beginning tonight and continuing through Sept. 4. ... Tonight's game is a Buck Night promotion. ... Erie lost two of three games at Trenton last week in the first series meeting between the teams this season. Trenton won the opener 7-6 on Ruiz's two-out, two-run homer in the ninth off Erie reliever Chris Homer. The Thunder won the second game, 5-4. ... Right-hander Virgil Vasquez helped the SeaWolves salvage the last game by throwing his second consecutive complete game in a 5-1 win on Wednesday. Vasquez threw a complete game against Connecticut in a 3-2 win on Aug. 18 at Jerry Uht Park. In his past two outings, Vasquez has struck out 10, walked three and allowed three runs.

- Ron Leonardi

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060830/BASEBALL01/608300347

SeaWolves close in on last-place finish

By Ron Leonardi

ron.leonardi@timesnews.com

Despite Monday's rainout against the SeaWolves, the Trenton Thunder still managed to clinch an Eastern League playoff spot thanks to Binghamton's loss to Portland.

With Tuesday's 11-2 win over the SeaWolves before 2,026 fans at Jerry Uht Park, the Thunder reduced to two their magic number for winning the Northern Division regular season championship.

Trenton (75-60) can clinch that division title tonight either by sweeping the SeaWolves in a doubleheader beginning at 5:35, or by winning one and having second-place Portland lose.

The SeaWolves (58-76) moved one game closer to cementing their hold on a last-place finish in the Southern Division.

"I can't complain about our effort because they're still playing hard, but I don't think the concentration is probably where it was early in the season," SeaWolves manager Duffy Dyer said. "Going home is on their mind, I'm sure, so maybe it affects the mental part of the game, but physically they're trying."

The Thunder battered Erie starter Nate Bumstead (7-13), who has lost his last seven decisions. Trenton scored a combined eight runs on eight hits in the third and fourth innings.

After completing their four-game series with Trenton on Thursday, the SeaWolves host the Southern Division-leading Akron Aeros in a season-ending four-game series Friday through Monday.

Notes: Brent Clevlen, who was assigned to the SeaWolves from the Tigers on Monday, started in right field and went 1-for-3 with two walks.

RON LEONARDI can be reached at 870-1680 or by e-mail.

From Seawolves E-Newsletter:

56.jpg?a=1101387245454

Eulogio De La Cruz, also known as "De La", has been a pleasant addition to the SeaWolves starting rotation since joining the role on July 17 following Bobby Jones trip to the disabled list. It has been a role that De La Cruz has welcomed and produced in since getting the opportunity.

"I feel that I can use my other pitches more when I start than when I come out of the bullpen,” De La Cruz said. “When I relieve I use the fastball more, when I start I use my breaking ball and changeup more to get hitters out.” Liberally listed at 5'11, 177 lbs, Eulogio has a blazing fastball that routinely reaches the mid-90's.

De La Cruz has been the most effective starter for the SeaWolves during the second half of the season. He is 4-1 with a 2.37 ERA in 11 starts for the ‘Wolves. De La Cruz is 2-1 with a no-decision and an ERA of 2.33 in the month of August. Since July 1, "De La" is 5-1 with a 2.02 ERA. His only loss in the last two months came on August 13 in Connecticut.

------------------------------------------------------------------

SeaWolves starting pitcher Virgil Vasquez tossed back-to-back complete games in dominant fashion. On August 18, Vasquez went the distance against the Connecticut Defenders. He allowed just two runs in the game off of nine hits. Vasquez walked a pair while striking out four. It was his longest outing of the season. Vasquez duplicated the feat on August 23 against the first place Trenton Thunder of the Northern Division. He fell behind early, 1-0 after two innings of work but rebounded to hold the Thunder to that lone run off of six hits. The back-to-back complete games were the first for Erie in two seasons.

STRENGTHS: Exceptional command, mixes up pitches well.

WEAKNESS: Underwhelming stuff, if his command is off he struggles, gave up a lot of homeruns last year.

POTENTIAL: Set up man. Needs to maintain his good control to succeed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

60.jpg?a=1101387245454

Erie SeaWolves infielder/outfielder Chris Maples has been named the Eastern League’s Player of the Week for the week ending August 27th. The 26-year old had an outstanding week for the SeaWolves, batting .464 (13-for-28) with three doubles, two home runs, six RBI, six runs scored, one stolen base and a .786 slugging percentage in seven games. Maples, a native of Hillsborough, North Carolina, had multiple hits in all but one of the games he played in last week and currently has an 11-game hitting streak. The 5’10”, 180 lb. slugger currently leads the league in slugging percentage (.547) and is also among the league leaders in OPS (.882-4th), home runs (19-tied 5th), RBI (70-tied 8th) and doubles (27-tied 8th). Chris, who is batting .364 with seven home runs and 24 RBI in 25 games during the month of August, was selected by the Detroit Tigers in the sixth round of the June 2002 draft out of the University of North Carolina.

“Chris has been one of the most consistent hitters for us this season, especially with men in scoring position,” Manager Duffy Dyer said. Maples, who earned a promotion to Triple-A Toledo on July 4, played in 13 games for the Mud Hens. "One of the biggest reasons for his success has been the fact that he can hit the ball to all fields,” Dyer said, “He is not trying to pull the ball as he did last year”. “The most improved thing he has done this season is improve himself to be a better two-strike hitter,” Dyer added.

Maples not only has contributed at the plate, but he has also stepped onto the mound for the second consecutive season. Maples one outing as a pitcher came on July 28 in Bowie in game one of a doubleheader. With a second game looming, Maples had to come into the game as a pitcher in his second consecutive season. He went 0.2 innings, allowing no runs off of just one hit.

Akron Aeros (84-54) at Erie SeaWolves (59-78)

Today-Saturday, 7:05 p.m.

Sunday-Monday, 1:05 p.m.

Pitching matchups:

Today:Erie RH Jeremy Johnson (1-4, 6.68 ERA) vs. Akron RH Nick Pesco (6-7, 5.21)

Saturday: Erie RH Eddie Bonine (0-0, 0.00) vs. Akron LH Aaron Laffey (8-3, 3.59)

Sunday: Erie RH Nate Bumstead (7-13, 4.76) vs. Akron RH Sean Smith (10-5, 3.86)

Monday: Erie RH Virgil Vasquez (7-12, 3.91) vs. Akron RH Jensen Lewis (1-2, 4.36)

Akron notes: With Tuesday's 12-5 victory at Altoona, the defending Eastern League-champion Aeros clinched their fourth Southern Division regular-season championship in five years. ... The Aeros will host second-place Altoona on Wednesday and Thursday at Canal Park in the first two games of their best-of-five opening-round playoff series. The series shifts to Altoona for games Sept. 8 and, if necessary, Sept. 9. A fifth game, if necessary, would be played Sept. 10 at Akron. ... Right-hander Adam Miller, the ace of the Aeros' rotation, last week was named the Eastern League pitcher of the year. Miller, 21, a native of McKinney, Texas, was ranked by Baseball America as the Cleveland Indians' top minor league prospect entering the season. In a 9-1 victory over Trenton on Saturday, Miller won his league-leading 14th game, limiting the Thunder to one run and five hits over seven innings. Miller has won seven of his past eight decisions and has allowed only six runs over his past 58 2/3 innings. . This season, he is 14-6 with a 2.80 earned-run average with 150 strikeouts and 42 walks in 147 2/3 innings. Miller has allowed one earned run or less in 15 of his 25 appearances. He was selected the Eastern League player of the month for July and was the Southern Division starter in the Eastern League All-Star Game. Miller also was named to the U.S. team for the Major League Baseball Futures Game at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, but did not participate because of an injury. ... Akron manager Tim Bogar, in his first season with the club, was named the league's manager of the year last week. Bogar also was selected by Baseball America as the league's best manager prospect.

Erie notes: As the SeaWolves limp toward Monday's final regular-season game, they will do so with a revamped rotation for the final series. ... Right-hander Eulogio De La Cruz was promoted to Triple-A Toledo Thursday and is scheduled to join the Mud Hens today. The Tigers also assigned Single-A Lakeland right-handers Jeremy Johnson and Eddie Bonine to Erie on Thursday. De La Cruz has pitched well for most of the second half of the season, especially since he was put into the rotation in mid-July. In 38 appearances with Erie this season, including 12 starts, he was 5-6 with a 3.43 ERA. Johnson, who began the season with Erie, will start tonight's game. Bonine will make his Double-A debut with a start Saturday. Johnson was demoted to Lakeland on May 15 after going 1-4 with a 6.68 ERA in seven appearances with Erie. With Lakeland, Johnson was 2-5 with a 3.99 ERA in 22 games, including 11 starts. Bonine was 4-4 with a 3.98 ERA at Lakeland in 41 appearances, including 11 starts. ... Erie's four-game home series against Akron is the first time the SeaWolves have faced a Southern Division opponent since July 30. ... Erie has had its problems with Akron this season, losing 13 of 18 games. ... The Aeros swept a four-game series from Erie in Akron the last time they met from July 24-26.

- Ron Leonardi

Last changed: September 01. 2006 3:07AM

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060901/BASEBALL01/609010385/-1/BASEBALL

Maples makes mark before promotion

By Ron Leonardi

SeaWolves manager Duffy Dyer and his staff recently had to turn in to the Detroit Tigers their selections for Erie's most valuable player and most valuable pitcher.

They chose utility player Chris Maples and right-hander Eulogio De La Cruz.

Both players will leave the SeaWolves today and join the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens, who are battling Indianapolis and Louisville for the International League Western Division regular-season championship.

Maples, the current Eastern League player of the week, hit his 20th homer in the second inning Thursday, a solo shot, in the SeaWolves' 4-3 victory over the Trenton Thunder before a crowd of 2,616 at Jerry Uht Park.

Maples, one of the league's most versatile players, is set to make his second appearance of the season with the Mud Hens.

Dyer has used Maples, in his second season with Erie, at every infield position, right field and left field this season. He leads the SeaWolves in RBIs with 71 and is tied for second in homers. Entering Thursday's game, Maples was third in the league in slugging percentage (.536).

"He's played every day since about the first third of the season and he's done an outstanding job," Dyer said. "He's had a lot of clutch hits for us and has done a real good job wherever we put him defensively. Day-in and day-out, he's been real steady."

Steadiness is something De La Cruz has had to work hard to attain. After a rocky start to the season, the 22-year-old fireballer (5-6, 3.43) has shown significant development in his Double-A rookie season.

De La Cruz has made 38 appearances, mainly out of the bullpen, but for the past 1s1/2months he has excelled as a starter. That move has allowed him to develop his secondary pitches to complement a fastball that's hit 99 mph this season.

"It's tough coming out of the pen, especially if there is men on base, and you have to be perfect right away," Dyer said. "I think he's better starting an inning. When he was in the bullpen, we liked to start an inning with him. As a starter, he's getting a lot more consistent."

De La Cruz's promotion marks his first appearance in Triple-A.

"He's got the real good arm, he's got two quality pitches and his third pitch, the change-up, is getting better," Dyer said. "If he gets better command and more consistency with his command, he's got the stuff to pitch in the big leagues."

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060901/BASEBALL01/609010411/-1/BASEBALL

Dyer ending to season

Tigers fire Erie manager, staff after rough year

By Ron Leonardi

Duffy Dyer told his wife Sunday that he thought his chances of being retained as SeaWolves manager after this season were 50-50.

Those odds were a long shot at best.

The Detroit Tigers fired the Dyer, 61, hitting instructor Pete Incaviglia and pitching coach Mike Caldwell Monday after the club finishedits season with a 5-4, 10-inning loss to the Akron Aeros at Jerry Uht Park.

Their firing comes on the heels of a 60-81 record and a second consecutive last-place finish in the Eastern League's Southern Division. Dyer's 2005 team finished 63-79 and ended that season by losing 28 of its last 35 games.

Glenn Ezell, the Detroit Tigers' director of player development, notified Dyer and his staff of their firing in Dyer's office shortly after Monday's game.

"I don't believe we as an organization here in Erie accomplished what we needed to accomplish this year," Ezell said.

Asked what he felt the club needed to accomplish under Dyer, Ezell said, "That's it for right now."

Ezell said he would address questions about Dyer and his staff at a later date. Incaviglia, 42, and Caldwell, 57, each served in their respective positions the past three seasons.

The SeaWolves were 123-160 in Dyer's two years as manager. Erie's 60-81 record is the third-worst single-season record since the franchise began Double-A play in 1999.

"They didn't give me any reasons for the firing, but it's because we didn't win as many games, I guess, and because the players didn't do as well as they anticipated they would do," Dyer said. "They thought we didn't develop well enough, That's probably the reason I got fired, because they didn't make any adjustments, I would assume. I can't blame them. The record here for two years was terrible, so I'll move on."

Dyer said he had been retaining hope of keeping his job beyond this season.

"I thought we all might be back," Dyer said. "My wife and I were talking about it last night (Sunday). I said I really can't read this one. I admit I was shocked when Ezell walked into the office. I didn't know he was here. As soon as he walked in, I was pretty sure what was going to happen."

Fielding a team loaded with Double-A rookies, the SeaWolves never got untracked this season.

The SeaWolves were hampered by inconsistency at the plate, were a fundamentally inconsistent and unsound team and showed little development as the season progressed.

"He definitely had trouble communicating with the guys," SeaWolves designated hitter Kurt Airoso said. "He definitely has his own style. Was it right for this team? I don't know. Some people say no. The younger players didn't connect with him, but there are a lot of managers like that where you're not going to connect with them. They're not there to be your buddy. They're there to try and help the team win. From the manager to the trainer to me, everybody, we didn't win. You can't blame it all on him or any one person. It was us together. We didn't win."

The SeaWolves began the season with 12 Double-A rookies on their roster, many of whom had outstanding seasons a year ago leading Single-A Lakeland to an 85-47 record and the Florida State League regular-season championship.

"We all came in here together - a lot of guys who played at Oneonta, West Michigan and Lakeland - and we're not used to having a losing season," SeaWolves first baseman Kelly Hunt said. "This is a first for us. It was a long year and it wasn't fun losing a whole lot. Time will tell if we come back strong next year and prove that it made us tougher, but right now it's hard to tell."

After a rough start, Erie seemed to be turning its season around when it won nine straight games in late May.

However, after evening their record at 27-27 on June 2, the SeaWolves took a nosedive and never recovered, going 33-54 the remainder of the season.

"Baseball is a game of failure and you have to fail before you learn and become a good player," Airoso said. "A lot of these guys never faced failure before. Now they have and hopefully they'll learn from that and work on their shortcomings during the offseason and be better players next year."

Ezell left the SeaWolves' clubhouse immediately after delivering the news to Dyer and his staff. While that meeting was taking place, players scurried to pack their belongings in anticipation of going home.

Dyer said his farewell to several players, then addressed the media.

"I didn't ask him why I got fired," Dyer said. "I just said, 'Thank you, it was a great opportunity for me and sorry that I disappointed you."'

Dyer said he and Ezell parted on good terms.

"They're good people and it's a great organization," Dyer said. "I enjoyed my two years with them. I wish I could have been here longer. I'm happy to see what they're doing at the big league level. I think they'll turn it around here real soon because I hear there are some good kids in (low Single-A West Michigan) and that. I imagine a lot of the kids who struggled a little bit here this year will be back and should do better their second year here. I think things are looking up."

Dyer said he would like to remain in baseball for a few more years in some capacity, preferably managing or coaching.

"I'm not ready to quit yet," Dyer said. "I still feel physically good. Financially, I could retire and do all right. I'm only going to work because I want to work. I don't like the fact that I have to go home and start making phone calls and looking for a job. That's not fun. I would like to get with an organization and stay there a while."

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060905/BASEBALL01/609050380/-1/BASEBALL

Not a huge surprise with Dyer.

Never (since middle of last season, at least) was a big fan of his.

I know Mark will be a bit disappointed (understatement) on Caldwell's dismissal.

"For every door that closes, another opens..."

This could be good for Rojas, Walbeck, and/or Brookens.

SeaWolves' statistics

Batting

GABRHHRRBISBAVG

Tony Giarratano, ss (DL)67269357601916.283

Chris Maples, 3b100342529620714.281

Mike Rabelo, c6221331596282.277

Andrew Graham, c2058516150.276

Don Kelly, ss5820730570245.275

Jackson Melian, of103364529815604.269

Nook Logan, of20771419029.247

Kurt Airoso, of1264306410216631.237

Vincent Blue, of124409479502124.232

Brent Clevlen, of109395479111456.230

Kelly Hunt, 1b107382388722520.228

Adam Haley, 2b6721921502174.228

Victor Mendez, of21801218250.225

Kody Kirkland, 3b119428619322659.217

Garth McKinney, of2790918352.200

Scott Tousa, 2b37114421071.184

Danilo Sanchez, c7923719437241.181

Nick McIntyre, 2b2473713043.178

Juan Francia, 2b5619021310911.163

Dmitri Young, dh62023010.150

Maxwell Leon, if61521130.067

Pitching

WLERAGSVIPHRERBBSO

Chris Maples000.00100.210000

Lance Davis011.742010.173215

Humberto Sanchez531.7611071.24717142786

Brian Rogers322.3937064.04919171469

John Ennis233.08241326.127991125

Mike Nannini113.3523240.13418151539

Jair Jurrjens433.3612067.07130252153

Eulogio De La Cruz563.43382105.010346404587

Virgil Vasquez7123.73270173.2174797250129

Bobby M. Jones343.9228080.18145354168

Preston Larrison4103.92261105.210848464048

Ian Ostlund954.4353065.06734322470

Mark Woodyard124.5011022.02916111526

Danny Zell204.6619019.12911101116

Nathan Bumstead7144.90270158.01711028679127

P.J. Finigan025.0011127.0271515716

Pete Sikaras105.7922028.03218181615

Jonathan Connolly346.1410058.27444401634

Jeremy Johnson246.398038.05730271124

Chris Homer147.26421348.16040391442

Eddie Bonine019.0010686602

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/BASEBALL01/609060455/-1/BASEBALL

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/BASEBALL01/609070334

Highs and lows

The Erie SeaWolves put the finishing touch on a tough season Monday - appropriately enough, a 5-4 loss to Akron after taking a 2-0 lead into the ninth inning. Shortly after the game, and the end to one of the SeaWolves' worst seasons in Erie, manager Duffy Dyer, hitting instructor Pete Incaviglia and pitching coach Mike Caldwell were fired. Times-News SeaWolves beat reporter Ron Leonardi charts a look at all that went right and wrong for the SeaWolves this past season.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Longest winning streak

9 games, May 17-24

Longest losing streak

7 games, June 8-14

High-water marks:

The SeaWolves attained a .500 record just three times, at 22-22 on May 23, 24-24 on May 27 and 27-27 on June 2. The only time they were above .500 was May 24, when they were 24-23.

Hit or miss: The SeaWolves led the 12-team Eastern League in home runs (128) and strikeouts (1,192). Erie averaged 8.5 strikeouts per game and finished 11th in the league with a .236 team batting average.

Pitching struggles: Erie finished 11th in the league in pitching with a 4.12 team ERA. The SeaWolves and New Britain tied for the most complete games, nine).

Home winning streak: 5 games

Home losing streak: 4

Road winning streak: 3

Road losing streak: 5

Top home attendance: 5,559, July 17 vs. Bowie

Top road attendance: 9,202at Reading)

Worst loss: Although there are numerous games to choose from, one that stands out was a 9-8 loss at New Britain on Aug. 9 in which the SeaWolves blew an 8-0 lead after four innings.

Erie SeaWolves Double-A season records

1999: 81-61

2000: 47-94

2001: 84-58

2002: 52-89

2003: 72-70

2004: 80-62

2005: 63-79

2006: 60-81

SeaWolves vs. Eastern League

Southern DivisionW-L

Akron 6-16

Altoona 6-13

Bowie 7-13

Reading 12-6

Harrisburg 9-8

Northern Division

Binghamton 5-5

New Britain 5-5

New Hampshire 2-4

Connecticut 3-3

Portland 3-3

Trenton 2-5

vs. Southern Division: 40-56

vs. Northern Division: 20-25

Monthly W-L

April 9-14

May 16-13

June 10-16

July 10-19

August 14-16

September 1-3

Daily W-L

Sunday 6-15

Monday 3-12

Tuesday 7-12

Wednesday 12-10

Thursday 13-8

Friday 10-12

Saturday 9-12

Times-News team awards

Most valuable player: Utility player Chris Maples. In his second season with the SeaWolves, Maples showed considerable development at the plate, showcasing more discipline and a willingness to hit to all fields instead of just relying on pulling the ball, which he did with Erie in 2005. Maples led the team with 71 RBIs and finished second in homers with 20. His versatility - he played seven positions this season - is his biggest asset. He earned two call-ups to Triple-A, the most recent of which came during Erie's final homestand.

Most valuable pitcher: Right-hander Eulogio De La Cruz. The 22-year-old Dominican struggled at the beginning of the season as a reliever, but seemed to find his niche when he was inserted into the rotation in mid-July because of injuries. De La Cruz pitched well for most of the second half of the season and began to transform himself from a hard thrower who relied on a fastball that hit 99 mph to a more complete pitcher who began to effectively use his breaking ball and change-up. In 38 appearances with Erie, including 12 starts, he was 5-6 with a 3.43 ERA. He earned a Triple-A promotion during the final week of the regular season.

Honorable mention: In his second season with the SeaWolves, catcher Mike Rabelo earned selection to the Eastern League All-Star Game for his solid play, then earned a Triple-A promotion to Toledo on July 13. He ranked second among the Eastern League catchers in throwing out base stealers at the time of his call-up.

Players who showed most improvement

RHP Humberto Sanchez:Showing vastly improved work habits, Sanchez established himself as one of the Eastern League's most dominant starters before he received a promotion to Toledo on June 12. With Erie, he was 5-3 with a 1.76 ERA in 11 starts. With Toledo, Sanchez went 5-3 with a 3.86 ERA in nine starts before the Detroit Tigers shut him down for the season Aug. 4 as a precautionary measure because of a right forearm injury.

OF Jackson Melian: Appearing in 103 games, Melian hit .269 with 15 homers and 60 RBIs.

LHP Ian Ostlund: A Double-A rookie, Ostlund had a steady season, effectively handling his role as a situational reliever. Ostlund went 9-5 with a 4.43 ERA and led the team in wins and appearances (53).

RHP Brian Rogers: He was Erie's most consistent reliever until he was traded to Pittsburgh on July 31. After his trade, Rogers climbed the Pirates ladder, appearing with Altoona, Triple-A Indianapolis and then making his major league debut with the Pirates on Sept. 1.

Best individual finish: RHP Virgil Vasquez (7-12, 3.73) threw complete games in three of his last four starts and worked into the ninth inning of his final start on the final day of the season.

Worst individual finish: Right-hander Nate Bumstead improved to 7-6 with a victory over Bowie on July 18. It was his sixth win in seven decisions. It also was his last. He lost his last eight decisions and finished 7-14.

Biggest break

After struggling for most of his first season of Double-A ball, right fielder Brent Clevlen, a member of the Tigers' 40-man roster, receives a major league promotion July 31. He's an instant hit, collecting two hits and throwing out a runner at home plate in his big league debut Aug. 1 at Minnesota. Clevlen belts two homers in a game at Tampa Bay a few days later and proves to be a valuable late-inning defensive replacement. After being reassigned to Erie for the club's final eight-game homestand, Clevlen rejoins the Tigers as a September call-up.

Best prospects

RHP Eulogio De La Cruz:

RHP Jair Jurrjens: The Curacao native earned a promotion to Erie on after going 5-0 with a 2.08 ERA in 12 starts at Single-A Lakeland. With Erie, Jurrjens finished 4-3 with a 3.36 ERA in 12 starts. His fastball and change-ups are both plus-pitches. The development of his curve will be a key to his future success.

Last changed: September 07. 2006 5:24AM

==============================================

Ok, I have a question: how much does a pitching coach "share" in the success or failure of pitching staff. Mike Caldwell is thought of by some as a great pitching coach, which he may well be. A.J. Sager is thought of by others a very good pitching coach. Caldwell's staff finished 11th in the EL in ERA (just one stat, I know) even with Sanchez and Jurrjens there parts of the season, while Sager's staff leads the MWL in ERA.

Can we put some of the blame for the poor Erie pitching at the feet of Caldwell, in spite of his teaching prowess and dismiss Sager's prowess while WM's staff does well?

From the Erie Seawolves newsletter:

SEAWOLVES GAME WORN JERSEYS FOR SALE!

Do you have a favorite SeaWolves player such as Brent Clevlen, Virgil Vasquez, or Kurt Airoso? For only $150, take home any player's authentic game worn home jersey or their road or batting practice jersey for only $125! We also have jerseys from former SeaWolves and current Tigers players such as Joel Zumaya, Curtis Granderson and Justin Verlander!

Call the SeaWolves at (814) 456-1300, check out our website or visit us at the front office and take home your favorite current or former SeaWolves player's game worn jeresy!

=======================================================

Hey fans! The 2007 schedule of the Erie SeaWolves is HERE and season tickets are already on sale!!! Call the SeaWolves box office at (814) 456-1300 and reserve your seats for another fun- filled season at Jerry Uht Park!

http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=v5ualybab.0.tuwtkybab.tfjsbtbab.1469&ts=S0207&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seawolves.com%2Ffan-zone%2F2007-schedule%2F

======================================================

70.jpg?a=1101402231765

The improvements being made to Jerry Uht Park are slowly coming together. The new auxillery scoreboard that will be attached to the Tullio Arena above the leftfield walkway is currently being installed. In rightfield, the new beer garden and large picnic area is expected to be completed by late December.

With the rightfield addition fans will enjoy new and better food items, an additional elevator for the upper level of the first base side and upper level restrooms all while keeping track of the game by the new scoreboard in leftfield.

The new rightfield area will be available for picnics for groups of up to 500. To look into booking a picnic for the 2007 season, email SeaWolves Ticket Sales Rep. Becky Obradovic at becky@seawolves.com!

Ok, I have a question: how much does a pitching coach "share" in the success or failure of pitching staff. Mike Caldwell is thought of by some as a great pitching coach, which he may well be. A.J. Sager is thought of by others a very good pitching coach. Caldwell's staff finished 11th in the EL in ERA (just one stat, I know) even with Sanchez and Jurrjens there parts of the season, while Sager's staff leads the MWL in ERA.

Can we put some of the blame for the poor Erie pitching at the feet of Caldwell, in spite of his teaching prowess and dismiss Sager's prowess while WM's staff does well?

I don't know the complete answer to your question. But I will say that other than a 3-4 pitchers the pitching talent at Erie was not good.

The thing about Caldwell is that several pitchers have taken significant steps forward under his tutaledge. Such as Verlander, Zumaya, Sanchez, etc.

You have to have talent to work with and Caldwell was good when given the proper talent.

And Verlander benefited under Caldwell where?

In AA Erie. You know that place where he spent much of the second half of last season.

In AA Erie. You know that place where he spent much of the second half of last season.
Dumbfounded by my own ignorance. Actually forgot he left midseason. Thanks for the reality break.

Dumbfounded by my own ignorance. Actually forgot he left midseason. Thanks for the reality break.

:classic:.... No its cool. I figured that you had forgotten he left around midseason since he was there for so long.

One person that I remember who spoke well about Incaviglia was Granderson, who had a nice year with Erie. Yes, I know I shouldn't have mentioned this year's team strikeout leader and reminded everyone that he had been mentored by Inky.

It's so hard to say how much good the coaching can do. Mike Easler was a highly regarded hitting coach at one time. He's still in the game but he's buried in the minors somewhere. And other than Frank Thomas I can't think of anyone who does that exaggerated Charlie Lau/Walt Hriniak down-swing with the one-handed follow through...dozens of guys were doing that in the '80's, because George Brett was successful with it.

I don't think that a coach can change you at that advanced level. I think he should be able to study your habits and identify the things that you do that make you successful, so that he'll be able to tell you if you start to change them. But he can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Tigers close to naming 'Wolves manager

By Ron Leonardi

Glenn Ezell, the Detroit Tigers director of player development, said Wednesday the SeaWolves should have a new manager by the end of next week.

Ezell said the Tigers have not conducted any interviews for the vacant Erie position and will holdoff on the interview process until all of the Tigers' minor-league affiliates conclude their seasons later this week.

Triple-A Toledo and low Single-A West Michigan are competing in their respective league championship playoff series.

The Tigers fired SeaWolves manager Duffy Dyer, hitting instructor Pete Incaviglia and pitching coach Mike Caldwell on Sept. 4 shortly after the club completed it final regular season game. The SeaWolves finished last in the Southern Division with a league-worst 60-81 record.

Dyer's two-year record with Erie was 123-160, including a last-place 63-79 record in 2005.

Published reports indicate that West Michigan Whitecaps manager Matt Walbeck is a leading internal candidate for the Erie job.

Walbeck, 36, would not comment on his status regarding the Erie job, but said he plans to meet with Tigers officials next week after the playoffs conclude.

"There has been a lot of attention on that and we're in the playoffs, and I would like to concentrate on that right now,"Walbeck said Wednesday.

The Whitecaps are currently playing the Kane County Cougars of Geneva, Ill., in their best-of-five Midwest League championship series. That series is (update after tonight's game).

Walbeck played professional baseball for 17 years before retiring in 2003. He has managed West Michigan since 2004 and has guided the Whitecaps to the playoffs every year. His 2004 team won the Midwest League championship.

Ezell said he and Dan Lunetta, the Tigers' director of minor league operations, plan to meet this weekend in Florida to discuss candidates.

"We will get together and figure out what's best for the organization," Ezell said. "We'll look at our options and decide what direction we'll go with that (Erie) position. We've had a tough couple of years in Erie and we're looking to create a more positive effect there."

The Tigers soon might have two minor league managerial positions to fill. Lakeland manager Mike Rojas has been offered the Tigers' roving minor-league catching instructor job. The Tigers are awaiting Rojas' decision.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060914/BASEBALL01/609140424/-1/BASEBALL

The Tigers soon might have two minor league managerial positions to fill. Lakeland manager Mike Rojas has been offered the Tigers' roving minor-league catching instructor job. The Tigers are awaiting Rojas' decision.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060914/BASEBALL01/609140424/-1/BASEBALL

WOW! This is news!

What's this about?? I know they had a bad season, but is Rojas to blame?

A year ago, a great manager, this year reassigned??

Any insight from the usual suspects?? Mark, Yoda, Roger???

Depending on his aspirations, he may view the roving instructor position as a better opportunity.

Which path would include the roving instructor position? Perhaps director of minor league development?

I'll take a stab at this...albeit a little late....

As estrepe suggested, you have to take into account the overall talent level each coach has been handed, but I also think it goes a little deeper than that....particularly this season.

Caldwell was handed several pitchers with glaring flaws....Homer and his control, DLC and his inability to regularly use his off-speed pitches, Sanchez and his control/consistency, Jurrjens and his average curveball that he can't spot, Bumstead and his general mediocrity, etc. He worked with those pitchers (Sanchez' work dates back to last year) and made progress with several of them....not necessarily statistically speaking.

On the other hand, Sager was handed a pitching staff that was largely older and more experienced than their MWL counterparts. with college guys like Badenhop, Claggett, and Averill, and older pitchers like O'Brien, Vasquez, etc...he was afforded the luxury of having pitchers that should outperform their opponents and the league averages.

The largest differences I see between the two, are their abilities to help players make the minor adjustments in their game to become better prospects....Sager hasn't shown that he can notice or impliment those changes, while Caldwell has a long track record of such. In total, I'd be far happier if Caldwell was a little lower in the minor leagues, but I wasn't disappointed with him at Erie. I feel his firing was more guilt by association than anything.

Which path would include the roving instructor position? Perhaps director of minor league development?

Perhaps that, or a faster route to a bench/assistant coaching position in the big leagues where he can gain more exposure.

I'll take a stab at this...albeit a little late....

As estrepe suggested, you have to take into account the overall talent level each coach has been handed, but I also think it goes a little deeper than that....particularly this season.

Caldwell was handed several pitchers with glaring flaws....Homer and his control, DLC and his inability to regularly use his off-speed pitches, Sanchez and his control/consistency, Jurrjens and his average curveball that he can't spot, Bumstead and his general mediocrity, etc. He worked with those pitchers (Sanchez' work dates back to last year) and made progress with several of them....not necessarily statistically speaking.

On the other hand, Sager was handed a pitching staff that was largely older and more experienced than their MWL counterparts. with college guys like Badenhop, Claggett, and Averill, and older pitchers like O'Brien, Vasquez, etc...he was afforded the luxury of having pitchers that should outperform their opponents and the league averages.

The largest differences I see between the two, are their abilities to help players make the minor adjustments in their game to become better prospects....Sager hasn't shown that he can notice or impliment those changes, while Caldwell has a long track record of such. In total, I'd be far happier if Caldwell was a little lower in the minor leagues, but I wasn't disappointed with him at Erie. I feel his firing was more guilt by association than anything.

thanks.

that's what I was looking for.