SpartanValor

Japan v. Korea

The USA gets eliminated from the WBC if Japan wins in a nine-inning game and scores seven runs or less because of the complicated tiebreaker system being employed.

Knowing Japan's reaction after they lost to Korea over in Toyko, my bet is that they beat Korea by more than 7 runs. But thats probably wishful thinking, the Koreans look good.

We shall see, its out of Team USA's hands at this point....They really need a win by Korea.

I think the Korean defense is good enough to keep Japan under 7 runs. But we will see.

The US team has no one to blame but themselves. It sucks to have to count on another team again.

I think if Japan beats Korea it'll probably be a low scoring game. Korea's pitching has been the story of the WBC so far, IMO. They're really in a groove right now, and there's no reason (other than law of averages) to believe that that's going to change tomorrow. I'm hoping Japan shuts them out and scores under 7.

One of the biggest disadvantages the USA team has is the timing of this tournament. A lot of latino players play winter ball, the Japanese and Korean teams started getting ready in early february and the USA players usually use march to get into shape....it's a bit of a disadvantage especially for pitchers I would think...I think you are seeing that with Dontrelle Willis.

Quite frankly the USA team could have been eliminated already if not for that controversial call in the game against Japan. I wouldn't mind if they were eliminated, they have been disappointing.

I agree. I want them to advance but they don't deserve it playing with fate two rounds in a row.

Korea has awesome pitching though, which will keep Japan close.

So basically the US needs Korea to win.

I love watching the Dominican team and the Puerto Ricans....their passion is unbelievable, and there's a little junk talk back and forth in all of the Latino games it seems like. The Asian teams are like baseball-robots

The Asian teams are like baseball-robots

that's pretty funny they really do seem like robots. Their fundamentals are amazing and they are all very athletic. I agree about the Caribbean teams, the games in puerto rico have been the most entertaining for me.

You know, I read that wrong. I thought that if Japan won by 7 or less that the USA would advance. I guess I'm hoping for a Japan blowout, then. Which ain't gonna happen.

You know, I read that wrong. I thought that if Japan won by 7 or less that the USA would advance. I guess I'm hoping for a Japan blowout, then. Which ain't gonna happen.

If Japan wins by 7 or less then the Koreans and the Japanese advance.

The way it works is that the fewest runs allowed per nine by the tied teams advances.

So far it has been 4-3 US and 7-3 Korea

So:

US 10 runs

Japan 4 runs

Korea 3 runs

So if the Japanese beat the Koreans and score 8 the US will advance and the Koreans will go home. If Korea loses but scores 7 runs on Japan then the US and Korea advance.

If the Japanese win 6-3 the US is eliminated. Basically a Japan win = US elimination more than likely with the way Korea has pitched.

The next tiebreaker is fewest EARNED runs allowed per nine innings to the tied teams. Which makes it a bit more hairy.

If it somehow got to the final tiebreaker it would be batting average in games against the teams tied.

Quite frankly the USA team could have been eliminated already if not for that controversial call in the game against Japan. I wouldn't mind if they were eliminated, they have been disappointing.

Doubtful the US would have been eliminated if the Japan runner had scored. The US scored 4 runs in that game in 8 and 2/3 innings so it isn't a given Japan would have won the game. A Rod's single would have plated 2 runs if needed. I don't have a problem with the win but I have a problem with the bad call by the ump.

I think the DR and PR are better teams than Japan and the US but would like to see all 4 get into the semi-finals to find out on the field.

Even if Korea wins or Japan scores 8 runs it isn't a given the US will beat Mexico tomorrow although Clemens is tough.

The game is at Japan so If Japan wins a regular played game they will only bat 8 times in attempting to score 7 runs.

If Japan is tied 6-6 and goes into the 9th and scores the winning 7th run after any outs Korea will beat the US in the tie-breaker 17.1 IP and 10 runs to the US 17 IP 10 runs so in a way it is good Japan is the home team. If Japan can muster 7 runs in their 8 innings at-bats Korea and the US will be tied (all the runs must be earned as well to keep the tie alive in ERA).

Then the tiebreaker goes to batting average.

Korea is 10-32 vs the US .313

USA is 21 for 71 in 2 games vs Korea and Japan .296

so Korea must have a lousy hitting game as well..7 hits or less should win it for the US in this category. If average is tied then the WBC cast lots...hope we have the ump who called the sac fly runner out casting this ballot.