Sign in to follow this  
eastside billee

Fielder

Does anybody remember the days when Cecil Fielder would come to bat, and everybody stopped what they were doing to watch?

You know, before he became a "bad guy" for not running out hits, or fielding plays.

I wish Randall SImon could be thought of that way eventually.

I don't remember Cecil ever becoming a "bad guy". And how could anyone tell if he was or wasn't hustling? He moved so slow at full speed. His home-to-first speed wasn't timed in seconds in scouting reports, it was listed as "yes, eventually".

Fielder became a bad guy because he made a lot of money and didn't hit 50 home runs every year. His job was to hit home runs and drive people in and he did that as well as anybody else for about 5 or 6 years.

BUt I do remember those times. It was a great few years at the ballpark when he was good.

I don't ever remember seeing Fielder dog it on the field. He was a class guy.

Actually Fielders job was to help his team score runs in whatever way was possible, and he did that above average for a 1B. He has Tony Phillips to thank for his huge RBI totals. I loved having him, Tettleton, and Phillips in the lineup at the same time, but then again I think a well drawn walk is one of the most exciting plays in baseball.

Sparky said Fielder's job was to hit home runs nad drive people in. He was Fielder's boss. End of story!

Can't let anything slip by without feeling the need to correct them, can you?

Sparky also called Kirk Gibson the next Mickey MAntle, and thought Gary Pettis and Mily Cuyler would help the team. THough I wish we had him as a manager now (no real reason other than I have good memories of his Tiger teams, even the bad ones).

Can't let anything slip by without feeling the need to correct them, can you?

I need something to do while my I burn the contents of my hard drive to CD. Arguing about baseball is more fun than browsing the articles at fark.com:)

C'mon, Obby, you know you can't argue with QS by bringing Sparky Anderson into it. QS has a statbook and a calculator; all Anderson has is three World Series rings. ;)

Sparky's take on Gibson was an opinion. His take on Fielder's job was a directive. Now if you want to question whether that's the correct job description, that's fine, but he told Fielder that his job was to hit HR and drive in runs so that's his job.

If my boss tells me to disrespect our customers, then that's my job, whether it's good for the company or not.

If you're looking for the next Fielder in the Tiger lineup, then its very likely you'll get one. Prince Fielder will probably be the Tigers' first round pick this year.

On the other hand, if Illitch had said Cecil, your job is to steal bases, Fielders job would still be to create runs for the team. Sparky, and Illitch would both simply be suggesting ways in which they think Fielder can do so most effectively. Fielder's job is the same as any other hitters, to create runs. The managers job is to get the players to do that the best way they know how (in Sparky's case, by telling Fielder to go out and hit HR's and drive in runs).

If your boss tells you to disrespect customers, and you do so, eventually you get fired (so does your boss). This makes you, and your boss stupid. Cecil was not stupid. If he had been told to go out and steal bases, he might have tried for a bit, but he wouldn't hav tried much. All Sparky did was tell him to do the things he was good at.

Technically speaking, 3 WS rings is a stat, Doc C. So while I said I wanted Sparky as a manager because I liked the guy and had good memories of him, you are the one who used a stat. :)

I always thought Sparky was a swell guy but Fabrication was his middle name. He always talked up players, whether they were good or just average. He talked out of both sides of his mouth constantly and after awhile I just stopped believing a word he said.

At first I took Sparky at his word. After that, I soon realized he was using these outrageous statements to instill confidence in these players. Unfortunately, he ruined many a decent player that way. Sparky was never much good with young guys. He preferred playing the tried and tested unless he didn't have a choice.

but then again I think a well drawn walk is one of the most exciting plays in baseball.

good lord, you need help quickie.:rolleyes: